Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

This is a discussion on Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm taking a little bit of liberty here and placing this in the Defensive Carry Guns forum instead of the ammo forum because for me ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

Senior Moderator

Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

I'm taking a little bit of liberty here and placing this in the Defensive Carry Guns forum instead of the ammo forum because for me I consider it strictly as a SD gun and round.

Here's the deal: I've been drawn to the .357 sig for a while now. Seems like each time I'm set to 'pull the trigger' on one something comes up. The thread I posted:

Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

both renewed my interest and at the same time was discouraging - very few troopers carry this caliber and one that does is going to the .40 due to costs - that doesn't help either. Although the THP, my state, carry the G31, that should do something, but I could read tomorrow that their switching. I don't anticipate that but.....

Then my LGS has a G31 gen 4, and that's the gun that appeals to me, so I contact my contact (huh?) and ask him about the G31 and 32. Well, he says that the G31 was a special order and the .357 sig just doesn't sell that well. So hmmm.....

It's not that any of that detracts from the caliber per se, but the lack of interest, and minimal use of the round, probably makes the round cost more, and could be an indicator that it's simply not ever going to go anywhere and maybe there's the possibility of it being discontinued altogether - where's the .41 magnum now?

Somebody posted this week I think it was that H&K has dropped the .357 sig from their line up. I haven't tried to confirm that, but you know, from a business standpoint, why bother with it?

So there's the paradox - a great round, I believe superior to the .40 in several ways, but the interest in it seems to be quite minimal.

Thoughts?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

there are plenty of agencies that carry the .357SIG. While the cost of ammo is expensive, for carry the .357 SIG is a good option with a little more power than the 9mm. I have the same Glocks in 9mm, so I practice with the 9mm and shoot the .357SIG as much as feasible. From a business standpoint, manufacturers are going to produce the calibers that sell the most, and the .357SIG is not one of the
    better sellers in anybodys lineup. I bought my first .357SIG back at the end of 2008 when there was virtually no ammo at my local Walmart.....except the .357SIG. I swore I would never own anything but 9mm and .45acp......well that all changed in a hurry.

.357 SIG is very easy to talk yourself out of.....expensive ammo, 40SW does pretty much the same thing, just carry 9mm +P.....yada, yada, yada. But part of the fun of firearms ownership is any new adventure....and the .357 SIG is definitely one of those.

In 1995, the Texas Highway Patrol became the first government agency to deploy a firearm utilizing .357 SIG cartridge.

The SIG-Sauer P229 in .357 SIG has been adopted for use by agents and officers of the following organizations:

United States Secret Service,[2]
    Bureau of Industry and Security,
    Federal Air Marshals,[2]
    Delaware State Police,[2]
    Rhode Island State Police,
    Virginia State Police,[2]
    Richmond City Police, Virginia,
    Bastrop County Sheriff's Office,
    Alameda County Sheriff's Office,
    Montana Highway Patrol
    North Carolina Highway Patrol
    The Tennessee Highway Patrol presently issues the Glock 31 pistol chambered in .357 SIG. The Mississippi Highway Patrol issues a (Glock 31 Generation 4) with their logo engraved on the weapon.[21][22] The Bedford Heights Police Department in Ohio currently issues the Glock 31/32/33. The Elloree Police Department in South Carolina Elloree Police also issues the Glock 31, .357 SIG and the Madison Police Department in Madison, WV issues the Glock 32 in .357 SIG. The Lexington Police Department in North Carolina issues the Sig P229 DAK in .357 Sig. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol issues the SIG-Sauer P226 in .357 SIG. The Paramus Police Department in New Jersey also issues the SIG P226 in .357 SIG. The West Grove Borough Police Department, West Grove PA, also carry the SIG-Sauer P226 in the .357 SIG caliber. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol uses Smith & Wesson M&P's chambered in .357 SIG. The Herculaneum (Missouri) Police Department uses the P226 and P229 in .357 SIG. The Orlando Police Department uses the Sig-Sauer P226 in .357 SIG.[23]

AZJD1968 and .XX like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I use a Glock 32 for primary CCW gun. I just like having 14rds of .357Magnum like cartridges ready to go for that one time you might need it. I think it's a capable cartridge for both urban, highway, and backwoods carry. Greater penetration and flat shooting. I think firepower:weight ratio is optimal for everyday CCW. I still have a spare .40SW barrel and 9mm Glocks if ammo became a problem for bulk practice.

Link to a Massad Ayoob .357Sig article: GUNS Magazine December 2011 Digital Edition

You hit the nail on the head; ammunition costs are prohibitive.

For example, I would 'probably' EDC a .357 SIG rather than a 9mm if I could train with the .357 SIG at 9mm prices. In my experience, I'm only slightly more accurate with 9mm while shooting one handed and with off hand, shooting while moving and point shooting. However, I've put around 30,000 rounds of 9mm down range, compared to less than 500 rounds of .357 SIG. With enough training, I'm sure that I could be just as accurate with the .357 SIG.

Now, I don't see the .357 SIG going away simply because the Secret Service issues it, and the Secret Service is a federal agency, and federal agencies and [insert bureaucracies here] doesn't much care for the cost of something. (Case in point, we are presently $15.3 Trillion in debt!) From what I've heard on M4Carbine.net through Dr. Roberts and others, the Secret Service did LOTS of testing before they settled on the .357 SIG, and they aren't likely to change their opinion anytime soon. Right or wrong, it is a bureaucracy after all!

Plus, Glock, Sig and S&W are still manufacturing firearms chambered for .357 SIG, and all that's necessary to turn a .40 S&W into a .357 SIG is a .357 SIG barrel.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts on the issue.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Administrator
    I really like the 357 sig, and have since it came out. But, I do not shoot it because the ammo is costly and it can be hard to find. I think it never really caught on because it is a solution looking for a problem. Even though it has a lot of velocity etc., what does it do better than a 40, a 9mm or 45? Nothing really- but it does but up impressive numbers.
    Because of logistics, it never caught on and that is the very reason I never bought one and it is now a caliber that is fading out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    It's a bit more expensive - I can get 9mm for $250/1000, .40 cal for $260/1000 and .357 sig for $310/1000. So the .357 sig is 19% more than .40 and 25% more expensive than 9mm, but that's not a game stopper, after all .45 ACP is $330/1000.

Update: The 9mm (Walmart) includes tax. The $260 and $310 did not include shipping. Shipping would add about $25 to each, probably a little more for the .40 because it's heavier.

Also, I just discovered the same source has .357 sig for $300/1000 and with shipping would be about $325. Still compared to 9mm for $250, the .357 sig is only 30% more. That's certainly significant, but not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    ...Somebody posted this week I think it was that H&K has dropped the .357 sig from their line up...
    As of right now, they still show the P2000 and the P2000SK in .357 sig.

Heckler & Koch - USA

Also, I went to the Little Rock authorized law enforcement Glock dealer to get a G32 (I can buy there with retired military ID). They had none and couldn't remember the last time they ever sold anything in .357 sig, so I went to the LGS and found a G32. It cost me $75 more, but they had it and I wanted it. Now to just find time to go out and play with it.
    Glock Certified Armorer

It's a bit more expensive - I can get 9mm for $250/1000, .40 cal for $260/1000 and .357 sig for $310/1000. So the .357 sig is 19% more than .40 and 25% more expensive than 9mm, but that's not a game stopper, after all .45 ACP is $330/1000!
    Hmm, I get 9mm for $200/1000 w/ shipping, and .357 SIG is $360/1000 w/shipping, so it's nearly double! That's why I never shoot it!

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Moderator
    What are you getting for $200/1000?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    As of right now, they still show the P2000 and the P2000SK in .357 sig.

Heckler & Koch - USA

Also, I went to the Little Rock authorized law enforcement Glock dealer to get a G32 (I can buy there with retired military ID). They had none and couldn't remember the last time they ever sold anything in .357 sig, so I went to the LGS and found a G32. It cost me $75 more, but they had it and I wanted it. Now to just find time to go out and play with it.
    Eh, I just drop a .357 SIG barrel in a Glock 23. Works the same!

What are you getting for $200/1000?
    Aguila 124 gr. FMJ.

I like both the .357 SIG and the .40 S&W which makes it strange that I've never had one. The .357 SIG appears to truly be everything the 9mm is cracked up to be but isn't and the .40 fills a real hole between the .355"/.357" revolvers and autos and the .45 ACP.

I'd be handloading for the .357 SIG if I had one so ammunition availability wouldn't be a concern.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Aguila 124 gr. FMJ.
    Is that steel cased ammo?

Is that steel cased ammo?
    Brass.

My understanding is that it's either a former Remington factory, or it's a subsidiary. Either way, I've fired 7,000 rounds of the stuff without a single malf.

VIP Member
    I think its one of the best examples of how a well thought-out idea(trying to replicate the .357 mag. performance in an auto loader), with good engineering, produced the end net result of what was originally intended.
    I think, had it come along in the late 70's or early 80's, you may have NEVER seen .40 S&W.
    I love the caliber, and thats said after never having shot the caliber.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links