Charter Arms Snubbies?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Snubbies? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, long story short my lady wont shoot any more semi-auto's after having accompanied me to the range and had a hot shell casing land ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Snubbies?

Charter Arms Snubbies?

Well, long story short my lady wont shoot any more semi-auto's after having accompanied me to the range and had a hot shell casing land in her cleavage, behind her ear, and then finally under her glasses. How this happened all in one mag I just can not fathom but I just know she HATES THEM. She loves my revolver but unfortunately for me I use that as my console gun in my car since it's a bit hard to draw while carrying IWB at 4:30.

So I want to get a gun to leave at home with her while I'm gone, so I can have my console gun back. Upon looking at some snub-noses by Charter arms, Taurus, and S&W I found that Charter Arms would be the cheapest option(I'm on Budget here). But I don't want to leave her with a piece of junk, I have never fired a Charter Arms weapon, nor do I know anyone else who has. So I'm looking for a bit of information on them. If you have ever owned/shot one, what was your first impression? Do you think it would be good for a 5'4" 120 pound woman? Is it a good bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance for good answers.

2. Remove Ads

Is she going to carry the gun at all, or is it just going to be something to leave at home with her?

The reason I ask is that a snub nosed revolver is a fairly hard pistol to fire accurately for most people. The combination of a short sight radius, heavy DA pull, high perceived recoil and small grip just makes it harder than a full sized gun.

So, if it is just for around the house, why not a full sized revolver? Bud's still has 4" Model 10's in .38 special for under $300: Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

My girlfriend thinks that my S&W 638 is "cute," but hates shooting it for the reasons I listed above. My model 64 however, is probably her favorite gun to shoot. Just a thought for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^
    to what Buckeye said

Was thinking of a charter arms for the Mrs., but ultimately Mom and the wife got S&W's. 422 & 642.
    I don't think you will go wrong with a Charter Arms,, but do not think they are "quite up to the standards of Smith, then Ruger. Don't rule out Taurus, in comparision to Charter. CDNN has the 442 for $399.
    Also have Charter and Taurus as well.
    Click here,,,,, CDNN Sports, Inc 2012-1 Catalog

page 10 for S&W
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Is she going to carry the gun at all, or is it just going to be something to leave at home with her?

The reason I ask is that a snub nosed revolver is a fairly hard pistol to fire accurately for most people. The combination of a short sight radius, heavy DA pull, high perceived recoil and small grip just makes it harder than a full sized gun.

So, if it is just for around the house, why not a full sized revolver? Bud's still has 4" Model 10's in .38 special for under $300: Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

My girlfriend thinks that my S&W 638 is "cute," but hates shooting it for the reasons I listed above. My model 64 however, is probably her favorite gun to shoot. Just a thought for you.
    She'll end up carrying eventually, she wants to educate herself a bit more before attempting to take any sort of CHL class. At this point and time it would be a stay at home for her. She is fairly good with my sisters Taurus .38spl snubbie and quite comfortable with it. However, she is one of those ladies who carry around a purse so the 4" Model 10 (with a different grip) might be a good option for her even once she gets a permit.

My s&w 64 is my girlfriends fav to shoot also. But I really just want it back in my console.

Greetings, OH,

I've had a stainless C.A. Undercover .38 for about 30 years. It's been a GREAT little gun. It is not my CCW of choice, 'cause I'm more of a semi-auto guy, but I've slipped it into a pocket many times when it was convenient. It's also killed dozens of snakes with shot loads. Never any problems with it whatsoever.

A couple years ago, we went shopping for a gun for my 80+ year old Mom, at her request. She wanted the smallest & lightest gun she could get in a decent caliber, for carry in her apron pocket while she's outside around her house. Knowing that she won't be running thousands of rounds through it at the range, we didn't want to spend more than we had to to get a solid, dependable gun. She ended up with a lightweight alloy Charter Off-Duty. It seems to also be a really nice little piece. Mom has VERY little experience with guns, but she's a natural - I've seen her cloverleaf three rounds at 7 yards within about 2" of POA in about three seconds, and she can shoot 3-4" groups all day.

The Gun Snobs will insist that a C.A. is crap, and she should've gotten a Smith, or that a .38 snub is a "bad choice" for an inexperienced shooter, but you can't really argue with performance. Charter Arms snubs don't have the fit 'n' finish of an S&W or Ruger, but IMHO they are one of the best values on the market. BTW - the trigger on the Charter was noticeably BETTER than the S&W and the LCR we tried out while shopping. FWIW.

Regards,
    Jim

Follow-up!

When I logged on, no one had responded to your post, but by the time I sent my response, you already had three others!

I agree with Buckeye that if the gun is for inside-the-home only, a bigger frame & longer barrel would be a better choice. The lightweight snubs are really only a good choice for CC.

If you're on a budget, check out Taurus, Rossi, and the EAA Windicator. There's some good bang-for-the-buck with any of them.

Regards,
    Jim

Nothing wrong with a Charter or Taurus snub. The only drawback is resale value.
    claude clay and Philly Boy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Follow-up!

When I logged on, no one had responded to your post, but by the time I sent my response, you already had three others!

I agree with Buckeye that if the gun is for inside-the-home only, a bigger frame & longer barrel would be a better choice. The lightweight snubs are really only a good choice for CC.

If you're on a budget, check out Taurus, Rossi, and the EAA Windicator. There's some good bang-for-the-buck with any of them.

Regards,
    Jim
    FINALLY! Someone other than myself recommends a Windicator. I have a 2" version in .357 and it's great. My wife loves it, it's my 'go to' gun, and I've taught 4 people how to shoot with it- every one of them prefers it to my Taurus (in .45ACP). And, at $300 out the door, it's a great deal. I've put over 1K rouns through it and everything feels as tight as it did when I brought it home.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I have had a Taurus 85 ss ultralite now for over 14 years. A very reliable gun that will always stay with me. I have been wanting a charter arms snubbie also.
    No nonsense, reliable, and lite in weight. Can't go wrong !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    FINALLY! Someone other than myself recommends a Windicator. I have a 2" version in .357 and it's great. My wife loves it, it's my 'go to' gun, and I've taught 4 people how to shoot with it- every one of them prefers it to my Taurus (in .45ACP). And, at $300 out the door, it's a great deal. I've put over 1K rouns through it and everything feels as tight as it did when I brought it home.
    +1 on the Windicator. I bought a 4" on impulse a couple of years ago after handling it at the LGS, and it's now my wife's nightstand gun - She hates semi-autos, the snubs are harder to handle, and the Python is pretty much a Safe Queen.

IIRC I got the EAA for about $259. It's basically a replica of a K-Frame Smith. Not quite up to the S&W wrt manufacturing tolerances or cosmetics, but it'll sure get the job done. A GREAT value.

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I have a plain blued Charter Arms snubbie 5 shot 38 which once belonged to my dad. Nothing wrong with CA that I can see.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I picked up two ruger revolvers at a pawn shop. One was a nice 4 inch Security Six for 350.00 and a Blackhawk for 300.00. Cheaper than a new charter arms. Try some of your local pawn shops. I have also gotten a Smith & Wesson 642 used for 350.00 for my wife. Good deals are out there.

Charter in the later -70's- mid/late 80's has some issues. They tried to make cheap rather than quality. That's where the 'reputation ' on Charter came along.

HOWEVER , they were bought out by one of the Charter people who brought quality for the price back into the equation.
    I have a 1973 Charter that my grandkids are learning to shoot revolvers with. It shoots great, and everyone I"ve talked to that has had one have liked it and not had any issues. They also have "pink" ... if it encourages her and makes her feel it's "her's " .

Taurus 85 or 605 are good and reliable 5 shots, and the 617 for a 7 shot. Rossi has some that are good as well.

One suggestion ... DO NOT ... get a lite /light, aluminum or titanium , feather-light, anything. Just go right on past them. The recoil of them is at least twice if not 3x's a solid normal weight revolver. There is a reason behind stout & steel when it comes to a revolver, and it also relates to cutting down the felt recoil. The 4" barrel is going to also be better on felt recoil than say a 2 1/2" barrel.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They also have "pink" ... if it encourages her and makes her feel it's "her's " .
    Yep, they also have her favorite color... lime green. It's gonna be a surprise on Valentines day as well. I have fired my little sisters light weight Taurus a few times, so has my girlfriend. It's a fun one to shoot, but I'll take a full weight any day.

By the way, thanks for the history lesson, it was insightful.

My wife loves to shot her C.A 38spl lite. She is about the same size as your wife. I started her with 50 rounds of cowboy loads and then standard,it is a little snappy though. The one mistake I made was letting her shot my .45 and now she shots it as much as me.lol. Hopefully March first I will be getting her a M&P .45. I figure if she can put all her rounds in the 7 to 10 at 7 yards with the .45 why not have the extra stopping power. The 38spl snub is no were close to as accurate.

No compaint so far with the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links