please help me narrow my choice down

This is a discussion on please help me narrow my choice down within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a compact carry weapon. I have pretty much narrowed down my choice to a Glock 30 or a Glock 36. I ...

Thread: please help me narrow my choice down

please help me narrow my choice down

I am looking for a compact carry weapon. I have pretty much narrowed down my choice to a Glock 30 or a Glock 36. I currently carry a service SA XD .40. I would buy the XD in the subcompact style, however it is not yet produced as a .45.

If there are any members of the forum that use either of the above guns, could you please chime in and discuss your likes and dislikes?

Thanks in advance!

Gordo

2. Remove Ads

I have the XD.40sc and it is my favorite pistol. I carry it faithfully. I'm still waiting for the .357 conversion barrel though. My guess is that the XD45sc will be out in January.

Lead Moderator
    personally I would go with Glock or XD exclusively. the grip angle is too diffrent to be switching back and forth. Either brand is a good choice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    personally I would go with Glock or XD exclusively. the grip angle is too diffrent to be switching back and forth. Either brand is a good choice.
    That's what I thought when I first started searching for a compact frame. However, in my case, because the frame sizes are different...it didn't have any impact on my point of aim at all. I am just as natural on target with the glock as I am with the xd. However, when shooting a full size frame glock and shooting a full size frame XD...point of aim was high with the glock.

I have the 30 and love it. I also have the 23, currently with a 357Sig barrel in it. If the 30 grips aren't too large, I'd go with the higher capacity. The 36 is skinny, but at a price.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

A vote for the G30

Between the G30 and G36 I'd go with the G30. They are about the same through the slide and the G30 has a fatter grip, but it holds 4 more rounds. I have also heard better reports on the reliability and shootability of the G30.

I had a Glock 30 and sold it. Don't get me wrong, it had a lot going for it. Reliable. Accurate. Small enough to conceal although a bit thick. The reason I sold mine was that my pinkie would stick between the frame and the magazine and in extended shooting it would abrade. I opted for the G27 a lot smaller and still big bore. I'd consider getting the 36 because it's slimmer that the 30 or even the subcompact Glock in .45GAP.

Not a fan of the GAP one bit...no offense to those that like it-- we all have our own reasons

I really am torn. I am going back tomorrow to hold an array in my hand and try to determine overall comfort---AGAIN. haha.

Talking

Personally for me the G30 is just a tad too fat... I liked the feel of the G36... ALTHOUGH, everyone I know that owns a G30 says it is probably the best shooting GLOCK they own.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Gordo23

Have you considered the G-23 ? I have owned a G-30 in the past and sold it. I found the grip very fat like many others. The G-36 gives up alot in capacity IMO. The G-23 and the G-36 are demensionally similar, as both use the same holster. The G-23 also sports 13 + 1 capacity with the option of using the 15 round G-22 mags for a reload.
    Just something to consider ........ unless your absolutely hooked on .45 acp.

I went with the G36. After holding both the the guns in question, I realized that the G36 had it won by comfort (in this aspect). The G30 was a tad too wide for comfort with such a small grip (I don't have huge hands). I am very happy with the purchase and you all can expect a range report after the weekend.

Stay safe and alert!
    Gordo

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gordo23 View Post
    I went with the G36. After holding both the the guns in question, I realized that the G36 had it won by comfort (in this aspect). The G30 was a tad too wide for comfort with such a small grip (I don't have huge hands). I am very happy with the purchase and you all can expect a range report after the weekend.

Stay safe and alert!
    Gordo
    lol... I was gonna say... We better get a range report on that...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

gordol...

The Glock 36 is a 45ACP not GAP.
    The '36' is the only Glock I like...it fits my hand! Its siblings are Kimber, Beretta, and KelTec.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The Glock 36 is a 45ACP not GAP.

ret
    who said it was a GAP?

now the only problem i have is trying to figure out what holster to buy. I will probably go with the CTAC just like I do for my service XD40.

However, If anyone could point me in the direction for some magazine pouchess I would appreciate it.

thanks again!

Links