Ruger LC9 Removing Bullet From Chamber

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Removing Bullet From Chamber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Ruger LC9 today. Before taking it to the range I'd like to practice loading and unloading the clip. If I ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By hankhill
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By MattInFla
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Ruger LC9 Removing Bullet From Chamber

I just picked up a Ruger LC9 today. Before taking it to the range I'd like to practice loading and unloading the clip. If I want to remove the bullet thats loaded in the chamber, do I cock the gun back until it is locked, remove the magazine, then remove the bullet? Then to reload the chamber do I just cock it back again after re inserting the magazine?
    Thanks
    Paulscmn likes this.

Rule Zero: "RTFM" (Read The Friendly Manual)

It's ALL in the manual that came with the gun. Look on Page 19...

And please do that with the gun pointed in an ABSOLUTELY SAFE direction. A stack of old phone books at least a foot high, or a 5-gallon pail of damp sand would work. Fingers outside the trigger guard when you unload.

For advanced homework, do some reading and learn the difference between a "bullet" and a "cartridge," and also between a "clip" and a "magazine." There'll be a quiz in a week or two.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Please stay safe.
    Crowbait likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Better yet get some snap caps to practice loading with.

Amazon.com: snap caps
    helderberg likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Better yet get some snap caps to practice loading with.

Amazon.com: snap caps
    Totally agree,do not practice loading live ammo in a gun that you have no idea what your doing.also when picking up the gun take notice of where your trigger finger is,if it's curled around the trigger you are doing bad JUJU,never place your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot,learn to keep your trigger finger straight alongside the slide,also be aware of where the barrel of the gun is pointing,if it is pointed at another person you are violating safe gun handling protocol,most people do not like to get"swept" by the muzzle of a gun.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Rule Zero: "RTFM" (Read The Friendly Manual)

It's ALL in the manual that came with the gun. Look on Page 19...

And please do that with the gun pointed in an ABSOLUTELY SAFE direction. A stack of old phone books at least a foot high, or a 5-gallon pail of damp sand would work. Fingers outside the trigger guard when you unload.

For advanced homework, do some reading and learn the difference between a "bullet" and a "cartridge," and also between a "clip" and a "magazine." There'll be a quiz in a week or two.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Please stay safe.
    What he said X 10. Stay safe, and welcome.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hankhill View Post
    I just picked up a Ruger LC9 today. Before taking it to the range I'd like to practice loading and unloading the clip. If I want to remove the bullet thats loaded in the chamber, do I cock the gun back until it is locked, remove the magazine, then remove the bullet? Then to reload the chamber do I just cock it back again after re inserting the magazine?
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum.

Everyone has to start their experience with firearms someplace, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Before I delve into the question itself, I'd like to start with something of critical importance. Commonly referred to as the "4 rules":
    • All guns are always loaded.
    • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    • Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    • Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Commit these to memory. While you are starting out, it is a good idea to repeat these each time you get ready to take your gun out of the box. Following these 4 rules can save your life or the life of someone you love.

Now, to answer your question, the steps to unload, or clear, the pistol go like this:

1. Point the firearm in a safe direction. Maintain awareness of where the gun is pointed at all times. Keep your finger alongside the frame of the gun, not on the trigger.
    2. Remove the magazine from the firearm.
    3. Pull the slide to the rear and lock it back. If there was a round in the chamber, it will be ejected from the gun as you do this.
    4. Visually inspect the chamber and magazine well to ensure the gun is empty. Continue pointing the firearm in a safe direction as you do this.

The firearm is now unloaded. Even though the firearm is unloaded, the 4 rules still apply. Do not point it at anything or anyone you are not willing to destroy or kill.

To load the firearm:

1. Point the firearm in a safe direction. Maintain awareness of where the gun is pointed at all times. Keep your finger alongside the frame of the gun, not on the trigger.
    2. Insert a loaded magazine into the firearm.
    3. Pull the slide to the rear as far as it will go, and then let it go. It will slam forward, picking a round up from the magazine and loading it into the chamber.

The firearm is now loaded.

The manual for your LC9 can be found here: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/lc9.pdf I'd suggest spending some time reading it cover to cover.

Here is a good video demonstration of these processes:

Notice how she always controls the gun to make sure that it is pointed in a safe direction and her finger stays well off the trigger at all times.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Matt
    357and40 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I highly recommend you sign up for a gun safety class which is held periodically by most local police departments or county sheriffs office.

I absolutely agree with ponchsox. Most gun stores have safety classes as well. And by all means don't be bashful about asking any question you could possibly have here on the forum, or of anyone you know with more experience, whether a friend, gun store clerk or a person at the range. There's definitely no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to firearms. Nobody's born with this knowledge, everyone has to learn it.

Stay safe, and welcome to the forum!

VIP Member
    Several suggestions for you:

1-DO NOT load, or attempt to load the gun until you read the manual.
    2- If still not sure, take gun back to store and have staff show you how to safely operate it.

Safe handling of a gun is not something you should learn by experimentation. Get training from a competent source.
    helderberg likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links