M&P 9c

This is a discussion on M&P 9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; EDIT: OP, sorry for the thread hijack! [/QUOTE] It's cool, I am just sitting back enjoying my popcorn :)...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: M&P 9c

EDIT: OP, sorry for the thread hijack! [/QUOTE]

It's cool, I am just sitting back enjoying my popcorn :)
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Well, you should at least have both sides of this argument before you make a decision:

First, the rear of the grip on a Glock is hollow and is spacious enough to allow you to put your thumb in and yank out the magazine rather easily.

Second, do you truly believe it's going to be easier under stress with "slippery, sweaty hands" and no fine motor control to use the tiny slide release with your thumb to lock the slide back?

Also, if someone is charging at you with a knife, and you have a double feed, are you going to use a method which takes 10 seconds or more to get your weapon working instead of another method which is much simpler and takes only two or three seconds?
    And, what are you going to do with the magazine you've pulled from the gun while you rack the slide? Do you hope that with no fine motor control and tunnel vision that you'll be able to easily relocate the magazine and not accidentally drop it while it's under your armpit AND while you are sprinting? Lastly, have you tried sprinting while doing your technique? I don't know about you, but I'm not going to be standing in the same place trying to fix my weapon, especially if it's going to take 10 or more seconds; I'm going to be running away until my weapon is clear, and I want to do it in as little time as possible.

And yes, Costa and Fisher do use the other method. They also train mostly LE. The class I did with them in November '11 was the Carbine I class, and 75% of the people were LE. When you have cover and backup, their method is fine. When you are on a sidewalk, and some crazy @$$hole is charging at you with a knife, it's not so great.

In fact, if you use their method for double feeds, I'd suggest just switching to a BUG instead of attempting to clear it because it will by much, much faster. This is actually what they teach in their class; if you have a malf with your rifle, switch to your handgun. It's much faster.

EDIT: OP, sorry for the thread hijack!

First bold: The reason why I mentioned the OP reasoning for wanting another slide stop different from the glocks.
    Second bold: If someone is charging you with a knife and you have a double feed, you are getting stabbed, your method or anyother method doesn't matter. The guy in the video I posted cleared his double feed in 3 seconds using the method I mentioned.
    Third bold: The main reason why I do, and everyone should carry atleast one spare magazine.
    Last bold: I agree completely, and yes, sorry for the hijack!
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    [/B]Second bold: If someone is charging you with a knife and you have a double feed, you are getting stabbed, your method or anyother method doesn't matter. The guy in the video I posted cleared his double feed in 3 seconds using the method I mentioned.
    Third bold: The main reason why I do, and everyone should carry atleast one spare magazine.
    Last bold: I agree completely, and yes, sorry for the hijack!
    Do you not practice "getting off the X?" You should never allow someone with a knife to be close enough to you that they can stab you, and you should never be standing still in a close range SD situation unless you have cover. Standing still = getting dead.

Yeah, he can do it in three seconds because he's able to do it under ideal conditions. A gunfight is not an ideal condition, and if he plans on standing still while someone is shooting at him from 5 feet away or 5 feet away with a knife about to stab him, he's dead anyways.

Try this: Set up a double feed with snap caps in your gun and holster it. Then, get your heartbeat into the black zone (160-200 bpm depending on age), draw your gun, start sprinting, then fix your malfunction.

And yes, you should carry a spare magazine for reliability purposes.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Crowbait: You and I must be the only two people on this site that LOVE that quote from "red haired" TJ--- of blessed memory!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Do you not practice "getting off the X?" You should never allow someone with a knife to be close enough to you that they can stab you, and you should never be standing still in a close range SD situation unless you have cover. Standing still = getting dead.

Yeah, he can do it in three seconds because he's able to do it under ideal conditions. A gunfight is not an ideal condition, and if he plans on standing still while someone is shooting at him from 5 feet away or 5 feet away with a knife about to stab him, he's dead anyways.

Try this: Set up a double feed with snap caps in your gun and holster it. Then, get your heartbeat into the black zone (160-200 bpm depending on age), draw your gun, start sprinting, then fix your malfunction.

And yes, you should carry a spare magazine for reliability purposes.
    While I agree with snap caps being effective for most clearing drills, it's predicable and not all ways the same as a real malfunction. The last firearm I had that was full of stove pipes and jams was a Gen 4 Glock 17 and let me tell you it was not always easy to clear them. A few of the malfunctions would have left me dead if they did not happen at a range. This is not a bash on Glock, it's just the only gun I owned in a while that has had major malfunctions.

Since this thread blew up and started with me posting about having an extended slide stop on my Glocks. It's not because I use a slide release for actual shooting, I like having one for inspection and general handling purposes. I use a magpul over the top method when shooting.

I wish Glock when have stepped up with an AMBI one like the M&P though! Now why are the aftermarket slide release/slide stops are so poplar with other Glock owners? The stock slide stop sucks, and many of those folks may shoot competition. Slide release is definitely faster then a tactical over the hand or sling shot method.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links