Explain the FN FiveSeven to me

This is a discussion on Explain the FN FiveSeven to me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The FBI study and the penetration issue had a variable. That variable is shooting car doors drywall etc.. My contention is that EA ammo has ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Explain the FN FiveSeven to me

The FBI study and the penetration issue had a variable. That variable is shooting car doors drywall etc.. My contention is that EA ammo has certain loads that will penetrate that media and do it very well including Kevlar. The thing is it is highly unlikely that I will be shooting through any media other than heavy clothing. So my requirements are different than those of the FBI to some extent. That being said Imhighlynrespect the work they did in testing a wide range of calibers and ammo. Setting a standard for Law Enforcement and to some extent the common person.

Neat discussion and I appreciate the tone everybody is using during this discussion very civil.

By the way I also carry a Kahr TP45
    Kahr CW9
    cZ model 82 9x18 mak
    Chiappa Rhino 357 mag and 38 special.

Of course the 5.7

And of course not all at once!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Neat discussion and I appreciate the tone everybody is using during this discussion very civil.
    I agree. Many times discussions about the 5.7 turn into religious arguments.

We all have our reasons for carrying what we carry. I catch flak for carrying a 9mm, and have for many years. Back when the .40 was all the rage, I was an "idiot" for carrying the diminutive 9mm. Now the 9mm is back in vogue again. The top trainers are moving away from the .40 back to the 9mm .

Gun owners are a funny bunch, but I love our community.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I agree. Many times discussions about the 5.7 turn into religious arguments.

Gun owners are a funny bunch, but I love our community.
    Agree on both. no where else I'd rather be! BTW I carry a CW9.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you guys for very civil and thoughtful replies. The comment about this becoming a religious argument is right on. This forum has seen its share of members dissing other members for their choices, particularly when it comes to something that is less expensive than their vaunted, well advertised firearm, which, BTW, should mean nothing to any of us unless you have done your due diligence and made up your own mind. I go on this forum everyday and many days I pick up a little more information that makes me a more responsible and better firearm owner and I tip my hat to you guys for doing that for me. Peace and G-d Bless. May we always just "talk" firearms and never have to "walk" firearms.

I think I would rather have the KelTec 22 magnum pistol with a 30 round mag. Heavier bullet, more capacity and very useful.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think I would rather have the KelTec 22 magnum pistol with a 30 round mag. Heavier bullet, more capacity and very useful.
    As said above by some, religious preference is alive and well in gun choice. Only problem I have with the KT is some reliability problems they were having. If fixed, you can sure shoot a lot of shots with that KT. It is also a lot cheaper than the 57. Again, comes down to firearm religion.

The big difference between the KT and the Fiveseven is you get rifle like power from the FN, but not from the KT. The KT pushes a 28-45 grain bullet between 1496-1136 FPS. The FN gets you a 46 grain round at a scorching 1850 fps. Not trying to poopoo the KT, it looks like a fun gun, but we're not exactly comparing apples to apples here.

How about a semi auto in 17 HMR just for plinking that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    The big difference between the KT and the Fiveseven is you get rifle like power from the FN, but not from the KT. The KT pushes a 28-45 grain bullet between 1496-1136 FPS. The FN gets you a 46 grain round at a scorching 1850 fps. Not trying to poopoo the KT, it looks like a fun gun, but we're not exactly comparing apples to apples here.
    Absolutely right on ballistic/bullet difference, but when you watch the video of someone unloading 30 rounds of the KT in the space of several seconds, you cannot but believe that it will get the attention of anyone facing it and guarantees they will not be bothering you anymore. I do feel, howver, that for ballistics and reliability, it makes you want to do your due diligence if you are deciding between the two firearms. In my case I have my 57, but sure wouldn't mind having the KT just for the hell of it.

Very true, and the .22mag is a pretty good round, better than a .22lr. I hear lots of people saying that the .22mag is the same as the 5.7, so it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see the two compaired as equals.

No doubt that the keltec can rip out 30 rounds damn quickly, and it will likely get anyone's attention. The Fiveseven can do the same thing, with the same number of rounds, that hit even harder. Question is do you want to pay the premium for the FN.

perfect gun for the wife that is recoil sensitive. If it wasnt for the cost, I would get my mom one. The 22mag revolver or the 22lr buckmark is all she is going to shoot.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I wasn't comparing the 22 mag and the 5.7. I very well know the difference. Both are neat guns, but I was stating my opinion of which I would rather have based on availability of ammo, and price. And 30 rounds of 22 mag that can be fired fast and accurate is nothing to sneeze at.
    Beans likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    Very true, and the .22mag is a pretty good round, better than a .22lr. I hear lots of people saying that the .22mag is the same as the 5.7, so it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see the two compaired as equals.

No doubt that the keltec can rip out 30 rounds damn quickly, and it will likely get anyone's attention. The Fiveseven can do the same thing, with the same number of rounds, that hit even harder. Question is do you want to pay the premium for the FN.
    I own a KT P3AT and it works just fine with no failures and no problems after about 2 years of target shooting just to keep up on the feel of the little firearm so I have no negative feelings about KT. Still, the idea of owning an FN like the 57 vs a KT, and luckily having the money to make either decision, the intrigue of the 57 (military, secret service, "rifle pistol" etal) convinced me that I was getting what I was paying for in spending the extra dollars. Whether it is just hype and heresay, I do believe, based on my due diligence, that the FN is a superior firearm to a KT and that 57 cartridge just makes you a believer in its lethality, which is, in my due diligence, borne out in the gel penetration/velocity/ lethality tests I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Still, the idea of owning an FN like the 57 vs a KT, and luckily having the money to make either decision, the intrigue of the 57 (military, secret service, "rifle pistol" etal) convinced me that I was getting what I was paying for in spending the extra dollars. Whether it is just hype and heresay, I do believe, based on my due diligence, that the FN is a superior firearm to a KT and that 57 cartridge just makes you a believer in its lethality, which is, in my due diligence, borne out in the gel penetration/velocity/ lethality tests I have seen.
    I'm in the same boat, I love my FiveseveN but I do have a PMR-30 on order, its actually been a few months now, along with a Sub2k in 9mm. Cool guns no doubt.
    Last edited by Hulley; February 17th, 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

I read some comments about FBI data and gel tests being potentially relevant for some and less relevant for others. The question remains, how does it perform when you need it to. In the context of "live media testing" that can be tough to set up, we decided to test the 5.7 on hogs. One in particular. Here is what happened. It's doesn't conclude that 5.7 is or isn't the best thing since sliced bread but does prove that it can do what it's supposed to.

Forgot to include the link.

http://shwat.com/ArticleIndex/tabid/...t-be-Done.aspx
    Stephen O
    SHWAT™ - Special Hog Weapons And Tactics™
    www.shwat.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links