Explain the FN FiveSeven to me

This is a discussion on Explain the FN FiveSeven to me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those hogs are fun and you guys must had a ball. The first shot he did the ole heart kick that deer do sometimes. The ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Explain the FN FiveSeven to me

Those hogs are fun and you guys must had a ball. The first shot he did the ole heart kick that deer do sometimes. The 5.7 is here to stay there another thread with 1911 platform and a necked down 9mm to 223 that has similar ballistics to the 5.7. I fear we will not get much data on the 5.7 lethality because it is a social outcast so to speak and hot topic subject for the media.

2. Remove Ads

I hear lots of people saying that the .22mag is the same as the 5.7, so it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see the two compaired as equals.
    Your are correct in that the two are NOT equal when both are shot in handgun barrels. To approximate the HANDGUN velocities of the 5.7, one has to use a RIFLE 22 Mag.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Your are correct in that the two are NOT equal when both are shot in handgun barrels. To approximate the HANDGUN velocities of the 5.7, one has to use a RIFLE 22 Mag.
    And do not forget the 5.7 "designer ammunition" that is available by people like Elite, which ups the ante on the difference between the two types of ammunition. You do get the feeling that there may be more 5.7s coming from mfgrs but there also is the possibility that ammunition makers are fooling with 22mag or some variant to make it more of a potent bang for the buck that might get people interested in spending a heck of a lot less money for the firearm. Interestingly, there is also the beginning of 5.7 competition at much lower prices than the FN--whether you just get what you pay for is up for grabs.

We do enjoy helping out with feral hog control. After all it's what we do! Cheaper 5.7 ammo would be good for just about everybody. Even if it's not high quality (I have no idea if it is or isn't), it would make training and plunking much more attractive. We advocate/promote tactical training for "tactical hog hunting" because of the similarities and the possibility of dangerous situations that can arise. Cheaper ammo would further drive guns sales and therefor the caliber too. Everybody wins.
    Stephen O
    SHWAT™ - Special Hog Weapons And Tactics™
    www.shwat.com

Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    There are quite a few folks who are crazy about this eccentric pistol. Please explain it to me. There must be something rockstar about it and its funky types if colored-tipped ammo. Thanks in advance.
    I can't explain why so many are crazy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Shoot one you will then be informed as to the answer to this question.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Why is the Mona Lisa great art?

Why are there 157 flavors of ice cream?

Why do some men like blow-up rubber women?

Can't explain everything in life.
    bunker likes this.

some people drive BMWs when a chevy would be capable of getting you from point a to point b
    some people have rolex watches when a timex tells time just as well
    the bottom line is that one size doesn't fit all, some people relish in having things that are outside of the norm

VIP Member
    The five seveN is a very accurate pistol because the bullet comes out with a lot of speed. I believe has a flat trajectory. I think it is very easy to get a nice and tight group at 25 yards. Not much recoil. I also think the 20 round mags are cool. They give you 3 mags with the gun. It is kinda big if you plan to carry it.

I cant explain it, I can give you all kinds of reasons but when it comes down to it, I just enjoy shooting the FiveseveN more than any other pistol I own, even the Ruger/Paclite 22/45 that is suppressed! <---Thats a close second! :)
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

I have shot one and still can't explain it. Maybe the "rubber woman" metaphor is not far off--you can always find a reason to like anything. I just was not able to find that reason.

Actually I carry mine its my weekend gun it is light enough you just have to have the right holster I make my own. No need for spare mag 20 round should be enough. Double taps are easy with this gun. My wife can shoot it very well but like the Rhino better. Summer I setup clay pigeons at 125 yards and try my hand at that its cool how many I hit off hand.

I have two one is my nightstand gun it has Viridian laser with tac light built in.

It is somewhat unique in that it fires a rifle round from a pistol. No, not a .22 mag round either. That's my opinion, but we have had success on critters that are are widely regarded as rather tough. The gun isn't for everyone. I would prefer to have a suppressor on it, since it's quite loud. Especially if I intend to use it for home defense or an indoor range. Kind of like shooting an SBR .223. It is light weight despite its size. I would happily carry it in the back country of much of the US.
    Stephen O
    SHWAT™ - Special Hog Weapons And Tactics™
    www.shwat.com

Velocity!

I've had the opportunity to see what happens inside the human body when it's hit by different projectiles (trauma OR's of Detroit) and what impressed me above all is the massive destruction that a high velocity round can create. There's simply no comparison between the damage caused by fast and slow moving projectiles. Slow bullets damage what they hit, fast projectiles destroy anything that they travel near. That's a tremendous difference in the volume of tissue that's damaged. Pull out the geometry formulas and calculate the volume of the cylinder of destruction:

A cylinder with radius r units and height h units has a volume of V cubic units given by
    V= (pi)(r squared)(h)

It's the (r squared) part that kills you and that's the game changer that the FN 57 has brought to the pistol world. It's a light, low recoil, high capacity, very accurate weapon that can carve a wide path of destruction straight through you twenty times. That's impressive.

Looks like no one has talked about the 5.7mm for a while, I bought one when it first came out, the IMO, and although I don't think I would sell it, the cool factor is just too high, I don't really enjoy shooting it all that much. I'm a fair shot with most pistols. I have a SW 357 with an 8" barrel that I can shoot skeet off of a hill side at 70 yards with. I can also hold my own with a 1911. But I can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with my 5.7mm maybe it's just too light? Anyone out there who owns one and can shoot it well?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links