Explain the FN FiveSeven to me

This is a discussion on Explain the FN FiveSeven to me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are quite a few folks who are crazy about this eccentric pistol. Please explain it to me. There must be something rockstar about it ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Explain the FN FiveSeven to me

There are quite a few folks who are crazy about this eccentric pistol. Please explain it to me. There must be something rockstar about it and its funky types if colored-tipped ammo. Thanks in advance.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I own several 5.7x28mm firearms. I've tested the ammo commonly available for it. I've found that the most common ammo, loaded with VMAX bullets, stops WELL short of the magical 12" when fired into ballistic media. I found that performance varied wildly in ballistic media stopping at depths of 6" to 10", but averaging around 8". That's not good performance for a defensive round.

The FiveseveN is a reliable pistol in my experience and accurate. The fact it holds 20 rounds (standard mag) is comforting to many people who carry it. It has little recoil, it's like shooting a .22 Mag really. I found the ergonomics of the FiveseveN to be decent, but nothing exceptional. The pistol is very light weight, but a little big overall. The entire exterior of the firearm is Polymer, which is unique.

I personally wouldn't carry for self defense.
    DRM, claude clay and tcox4freedom like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    There are quite a few folks who are crazy about this eccentric pistol. Please explain it to me. There must be something rockstar about it and its funky types if colored-tipped ammo. Thanks in advance.
    It is just plain cool. Match it with a P90 and it gets even better.

IMHO, it is just a fun gun that is different and interesting.

Administrator
    Actually it should be mentioned that there is a 10 round extension available for the 20 round magazines that only adds about 2 inches (best guess) to the length of the factory 20 round mag.
    It consists of a high quality extension and a new longer magazine spring.

Added just as a FYI.
    DRM likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It's a pistol that fires miniature rifle rounds. What could be cooler than that?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    It's a pistol that fires miniature rifle rounds. What could be cooler than that?
    A .46 magnum?
    WHEC724, joker1, JD and 1 others like this.

I think one of the things that made the gun stand out is that IIRC with the right bullet it will penetrate bullet proof vests.That ammo is restricted to LE and Military only AFAIK.Down here by the South Border they sold a bunch of them,In some cases there were multiple sales and a lot were found to be straw purchases with the guns ending up in Mexico.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    A .46 magnum?
    Hmm, you win this round...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think one of the things that made the gun stand out is that IIRC with the right bullet it will penetrate bullet proof vests.That ammo is restricted to LE and Military only AFAIK.Down here by the South Border they sold a bunch of them,In some cases there were multiple sales and a lot were found to be straw purchases with the guns ending up in Mexico.
    Hmmm. Imagine that?

(Thanks Eric!)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsor
    The only experience that I have with them is second hand. The off the shelf 5.7 ammo fired from the FN FiveseveN have all but destroyed the back stop/bullet trap in our club's indoor pistol range and they are now banned from use there.

It does look like an interesting pistol and I would probably buy one if they weren't so pricey. Same goes for the PS90.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    IMHO, the 5.7 is a good choice for home defence. The round is not over penetrating, the gun itself is easy to shoot well and the elderly or infirm can easily handle the controls and recoil. This is the gun I'd want my mother to have handy. Easy to load the mags, easy to manipulate the slide and very low recoil. This is a gun non-practiced shooters can shoot quickly and accurately.

The drawbacks are the price, the report is loud, and some ammo produces a huge fireball. Some indoor ranges do not allow the round to be used.

The round is adequate as far as I'm concerned. It's a fun gun to shoot.

The original 5.7x28 rounds were designed for the p90, and out of the carbine they pack a whoopin. Off the shelf Ammo for the Fiveseven pistol is a bit bland. However, elite ammunition loads some plain nasty rounds. 12" penetration as well as tumbling or fragmentation. Low recoil, 20 or 30 rounds, lightweight. Yeah it's a keeper. Only drawback is the ammo is relatively expensive.

Side arm for weapon system (read ammunition) developed to defeat body armor...not adapted by Nato....I also would have this in my mothers hands, shoot until you are deaf, Mom..then stop, its time to reload...Moms still got a good Trust Fund..she dont care the rounds cost bank...and she nver developed a love for blued gun-metal...plastics good for her..heck she just loves TupperWare...Me too !! keep my cast and lubed in tupperware...

5.7 x 28 I own two FNH handguns one has a Viridian Laser and light that gun stays near my bedside as My primary home defense weapon. The other I carry concealed sometimes.

Easy to shoot and very accurate.
    Great capacity 20 round magazine.
    Lethal effectiveness some what with controversy.
    Not prone to over penetration.
    Light weight large frame handgun.
    Fun factor this gun is blast to shoot.
    Great defensive ammo choices from Mfg like Elite Ammunition.
    PS90 makes is caliber even more attractive as a defensive round heck good enough for the Secret Service good enough for me.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    5.7 x 28 I own two FNH handguns one has a Viridian Laser and light that gun stays near my bedside as My primary home defense weapon. The other I carry concealed sometimes.

Easy to shoot and very accurate.
    Great capacity 20 round magazine.
    Lethal effectiveness some what with controversy.
    Not prone to over penetration.
    Light weight large frame handgun.
    Fun factor this gun is blast to shoot.
    Great defensive ammo choices from Mfg like Elite Ammunition.
    PS90 makes is caliber even more attractive as a defensive round heck good enough for the Secret Service good enough for me.
    Add a few comments from other repliers including lo recoil (nothing like being able to control your firearm without worrying about recoil when you are about to pee in your pants), and the Elite Ammo that combines rifle-like velocity, and straight-line accuracy at distance (if necessary) with tremendous home defense frangibility. Check out 57.com or fiveseven.com for believers' comments. Odds are those who diss it cannot afford it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links