Polish P-64 review

Polish P-64 review

This is a discussion on Polish P-64 review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seeing as how I enjoyed posting a review about my girlfriends new Kahr, I thought I would give a quick review on my favorite carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Polish P-64 review

Polish P-64 review

Seeing as how I enjoyed posting a review about my girlfriends new Kahr, I thought I would give a quick review on my favorite carry pistol.

The P-64 (Radom factory) is an amazing weapon. Simple, reliable, small, safe (for a gun) and shoots very well. It has a 6+1 mag capacity and is chambered in 9x18mm Makarov. It has a nice weight for a small gun but you will know when you shoot it. The recoil is not to bad but the trigger guard will smack you in the finger (not comfortable). You get used to it but it still hurts after a bit of shooting. I assume a grip sleeve would help some on this but I think it would ruin the looks of this ugly little beauty. Now for those things i listed earlier:

Simple: This gun is a very simplified functional design. You can break it down in no time flat and the barrel is not flopping around.

Reliability: Wow on this. I have never had an issue with this gun with any type of ammo. It is already 36 years old and still a little beast. The finish on this gun is still great even after all this time and me carrying it everywhere.

Small: 6.3" x 4.6" x 1" I can hide this thing very easily and do every day.

Safe: nice decocker, chamber indicator, and a 24# DA pull (more on that later)

Shooter: This little guy with it's 3.33" barrel can hit a target. I was shooting a can rolling slowly down a hill from 21'. All 7 shots. From 15 yrds all shots are within 5-6" with me pulling the trigger and no rest. as far as sights go these are a little small but easy to get used to. And the p-64 aims very naturally. I can whoop a gallon jug drawing and shooting eyes closed from 21 feet.

Now back to that DA trigger pull. When I first got it it was funny to watch people try and shoot the DA (SA is a dream to shoot). But it is such and easy fix to put in a new spring it had to be done. This gun is so easy to work on. It was my first gun to actually take a part and "fix". Recoil spring, hammer spring and a nice custom made magazine ejection lever. Oh yeah I should probably mention that this has a euro style mag release that is a little weird to use if you are not used to it. I found this guy who make a little extension replacement part that is amazing. I can now just reach back with my pinky and drop the mag.

For the cost this gun is hard to beat even though it will beat you while shooting. You can get these guys under $200 to your door. and the ammo you can as of now get 1000 rds for $175.

I really recommend this gun for a cheap reliable gun for CCW. I love it and carry it all the time. It might be a little sharp for some people but they do make fancy wood grips and sleeves that would make the gun more friendly.

Pics coming later today in a quick edit.
    Last edited by MongooseDog; February 10th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Nice review, could you explain the fix for the DA trigger pull a little better? How much does it reduce the pull? I've read online that it is HORRIBLE without modification.

The spring is located on the back of the frame. you will see it when you take off the grips. All you have to do is push out the pin holding it in and switch out the springs. This is also how you change the mag release. Wolff has 3 different springs for cheap and here is a detailed pic link The Unofficial P-64 - Fixes

it is very easy and i believe the reason the did this originally was so that the submachine gun rounds could fire in the gun. They had a much more stout primmer.

Speaking of, this just showed up in my mailbox today:

I originally bought the gun when the ammo shortage was in effect. There was plenty of 9x18 mak to be found online. About three weeks ago I was rummaging through my safe and rediscovered the little p-64.
    MongooseDog likes this.

oh yeah. that is going to help a ton. are you going to change the recoil spring

Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDog View Post
    oh yeah. that is going to help a ton. are you going to change the recoil spring
    Negative. For now, just the hammer spring. This isn't a range toy....so I figured that a stiffer recoil spring was kind of a moot point.

I've been really looking at the P64s

This thread may push me over the edge into P64 ownership.
    MongooseDog and TheBigWanad like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    I've been really looking at the P64s

This thread may push me over the edge into P64 ownership.
    For th cost it is really worth it. we went and shot mine today and my buddy is now planning on getting one. they are addictive.

I've played with others' P64s on a couple of occasions and they seemed fine. They appear to be well made and a good value.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Got around to swapping out the hammer spring this morning. Holy Crap!!!! What a huge difference it makes. I found a good instructional vid on youtube showing how to swap out the spring if anyone is interested.

P-64 Mainspring Removal/Install - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Thanks for the review of the P64. I collect 9x18 handguns and own several Makarovs, P64's, and CZ82's and have been shooting these guns for many years. Here is my opinion on these handguns. The P64 is a well made all steel 9x18 handgun. Its general design is based off the Walther PP series as opposed to the Makarov. As a surplus weapon as the OP stated they are inexpensive to purchase. The DA trigger pull even with the Wolff spring "fix" is still very stout. Typically the double action trigger pull is in the range of 24-27 Lbs on the P64, but with the Wolff springs its reduced to a more tolerable 16.5, 18 or 20 lb., depending on the spring set you install. This will still be an issue for some. As a comparison the trigger pull on my PM9 is 7.5 lbs. The SA pull is very nice. The gun is heavy for its size being an all steel pistol. I personally feel the CZ82 is a far better handgun and since they are a C&R gun they can also be found for around $200-225. They also have much higher round capacity (12), better ergonomics/grip, better controls and its generally a more modern design even though both are straight blow-back operated guns. The CZ 82 also has a polygonal rifled barrel, and its a CZ which counts for a lot IMO. The CZ82 is a bit larger overall and the grip is thicker being a double stack. Being larger and with a better grip the CZ82 has less felt recoil with the 9x18 round than the P64.

pgrass101 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I defiantly don't disagree with you as I am about to pick up a cz-82. I think the p-64 is a better ccw gun. I love cz-82s I will probably write up a quick review of it when i get it. Busy farting around with the Beretta 96 we picked up today

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDog View Post
    I defiantly don't disagree with you as I am about to pick up a cz-82. I think the p-64 is a better ccw gun. I love cz-82s I will probably write up a quick review of it when i get it. Busy farting around with the Beretta 96 we picked up today
    I certainly am not knocking the P64. Especially since you can find them for around $180 in very good condition and at this price point its a great value. But other than being slight smaller and lighter than the CZ82 why do you think the P64 is a better CCW handgun? I have carried both and the size difference really makes no difference at all with the right IWB holster. To me the double magazine capacity (12) to (6) and better trigger more than makes up for the size difference. The CZ82 is also renown for its dead nuts reliability and IMO its just a better overall shooter and gun in general. When you get yours soon you will see what I am talking about I assure you.

CZ82
    Weight (28 oz)
    Length (6.8 in)
    Barrel length (3.8 in)
    Width (1.4 in)
    Height (5.0 in)

P64
    Weight (22 oz)
    Length (6.3 in)
    Barrel length (3.3 in)
    Width (1.2 in)
    Height (4.6 in)

CZ82 in High Noon "Split Decision" holster
    Last edited by pirate; February 11th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

yeah i carry everyday in a KNJ IWB holster. it is good stuff.

I will zombie this thread just to show what the P-64 has become.
    Attached Images
    pgrass101 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links