Where to purchase: online or local store? - Page 2

Where to purchase: online or local store?

This is a discussion on Where to purchase: online or local store? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry guys but I strictly use my FFL and buy online these days. My local shops are unwilling to help me find exactly what I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to purchase: online or local store?

Sorry guys but I strictly use my FFL and buy online these days. My local shops are unwilling to help me find exactly what I am looking for. Sure if you want a standard Glock 17 go ahead and buy from your local guy but if you want something a little more exotic, the local guys refuse to help. All they want to do is sell their current inventory. The same old sorry lines "My distributer doesn't carry it. It is out of stock..Blah Blah Blah" This is the day of the internet. Either you help me find what I want or you will not get my business. I pay my FFL $25/transfer and I am happy getting exactly what I want. The sales tax from the local guys is more than what I pay my FFL. It really is a no brainer! Don't feel too bad for your local shop. He has been ripping you off for years and I know he needs to make a living but it won't be with my dollar. I of course will use local shops for range and ammo but no longer do I purchase firearms there.

The sales tax from the local guys is more than what I pay my FFL. It really is a no brainer! Don't feel too bad for your local shop. He has been ripping you off for years and I know he needs to make a living but it won't be with my dollar. I of course will use local shops for range and ammo but no longer do I purchase firearms there.
    I agree, it costs me more to buy locally even BEFORE taxes are added. The local stores here hardly stock anything at all and if they get it for you it's normally full retail. For example it would have cost me 899.00 plus tax to buy my colt xse cdr locally and I ordered one in to a pawn shop that only charges me 5.00 ffl transfer so it was about 805.00 out the door and locally it would have been close to 1000.00. Nobody is going convince me to pay 200.00 extra to support my local gun store. That's the case with all of the guns I have bought, huge difference. The pawn shops are a little cheaper than the gun stores which are all ridiculously high compared to internet prices.

I just thought of another example. The one regular gun store that said he could get a DW Cbob said it would be 940.00 plus tax. Buds normally has those for 817.00 plus 25.00 shipping. If you add the 5.00 ffl transfer to that it's 847.00 otd. With taxes it's amost 200.00 more locally.

That may have changed though I know a guy at a local pawn shop now that says he will order any guns in for me at their cost plus tax. He gave me a couple of prices and they sounded reeeeaaal good. I will definitely go local for that as it would be pretty close to the ordered in price.
    Last edited by saltysquid; January 25th, 2007 at 02:57 AM.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

I'm all for buying at the local shop, but the internet has truly made it a buyer's market. It puts pressure on the manufacturers, to eat some of the margin in order to allow specialty gun shops to effectively compete, and certainly on the shops themselves. But most do make some adjustments, such that the local price is often competitive with the internet+shipped price. If not within $100 overall or so, I generally opt to purchase remote (new, from a shop that's more-aggressively priced). My two local shops know this and quote their best deal when I'm looking. One has a tremendous inventory, so it's a bit like a candy store (with guns) ... and that has value over sight-unseen purchases. I've purchased about half locally, half remote+shipped. Risks? Not when dealing with a known seller, either way.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 25th, 2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: readin', writin', 'rithmetic
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    I will give you my very recent experience. I wanted to buy a Walther P99cA/S. The total price at one of the popular on line sites was $571, which included the price of the gun, shipping and insurance, and a credit card fee to ostensibly guarantee the gun. When I added the $25transfer fee to my local dealer the total would have been $596. I negotiated with my dealer and got the gun through them for $623, including taxes and the $5 verification fee. I felt that the small difference was worth having a live body to deal with if there was a problem with the gun, and I also like, if possible, to support my local dealer.

Ron

I bought one gun online but only because it was at a great price and no shipping charge, All my other purchases have been from local dealers, A deal may look great but when you factor in shipping and FFL fees, the deal is much less attractive. The difference is usually worth it as a cost for keeping the benefits if keeping our local shop in business.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I ususally buy locally (bought a new Bersa .380 yesterday) or at the Gun Shows. I did just buy a Dan Wesson CBOB from Budsguns.com - that transaction went very well....

I believe it is all about the relationship and the ability of the dealer to meet your needs. I purchased my two Kimbers through a dealer I met when comparing prices on GunsAmerica. Steve Savina (Savina Firearms in NH) not only had a great price, but he took the time to answer my questions and was extremely quick on the turn-around. I saved a significant sum of money over buying locally. That said, I had no problem buying accessories and ammo from the local shop that handled the FFL transfer for me. The local shop has been very professional and courteous - if they could come within $50 of the on-line price, I'd give them my business. As it is, they make their margins on the accessories. Every time I have walked in to pick up a FFL transfer, I've walked out with over $100 of associated gear that they had at the local store. Could I have saved $7 on a set of Hogue wrap-around grips by ordering them on-line? Sure, but to have them installed in the store on my new pistol for me in order to try them out was a no-brainer.

Having an on-line component to a brick and mortar storefront can be a good business model. You're simply reaching more potential customers! Being consistent between the two operations is the key...

Cheers,
    Pk

Smile

I bought three pistols on-line last year, two new and one used. All three were either priced below local prices, or not available locally. My FFL is a college student, who charges 20.00 for the transfer. Shipping is usually 10.00-25.00, so I add 35-45.00 to the price to compare locally. I am totally satisfied with all three purchases, but I also realize that I am pretty selective about who I buy from and how I make the payment. I usually pay with credit card, which is some good insurance in case you do not receive the goods. I bought one from a brick and mortar gun shop in Paris, Kentucky, who had a discontinued S&W 431PD NIB 32 H&R magnum for $306.00 plus shipping. The guys in Houston wanted 475.00 for the same revolver, plus shipping.
    Yes, it is possible to get ripped off, don't ever buy from a pawn shop. Check out your vendor and use good judgement.
    Semper Fi

I see this as a "Value Added" equation. If the local folks that I like and trust are still adding value, whether tangible or intangible, I'll use them. They're almost always price competitive, and I appreciate the value they otherwise add.

I like the personal facter at a local shop. I've been doing buisness with the same one for a long time and he always gets me the best deal I can find (I've checked other shops and on line), and sometimes throws in ammo or something small, as I'm a consistant customer.
    Plus other guys in there, we talk about guns, etc.... I've even sold guns through the shop, and I've took guns home to shoot them to see if I like/dislike them! You can't get that in an online shop. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by mag44laf View Post
    Yes, it is possible to get ripped off, don't ever buy from a pawn shop. Check out your vendor and use good judgement.
    That's not applicable everywhere. Here the only places where you can get a new gun that's even remotely close to the online prices is the pawn shops. You get ripped off here by buying from the gun stores. The gun shops even charge much more for ffl transfers.

Now used guns I would not buy from a pawn shop, or the local gun shops for that matter. They both want new online prices for the used ones. Sometimes even more than new prices. You didn't specify though.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Cool

Yes, I really meant to say never buy a used gun from a pawn shop, I have bought many new pistols from a pawn shop over the years, in fact it was the only place that would take the time to order special items for me.
    Semper Fi

I have purchased from our local gun dealers, online x3, and at several gun shows. I know my most of gun dealers in my town. It is really good to establish a working relationship as one, they are easier to negotiate with and most importantly, it is good to know like minded people in your community. For simple, no nonsense/tax free/no ffl charges... you can't beat a gun show... find the gun negotiate... pay the seller... walk away with your hands full... all of this and no hassle. I found a local ffl for $10 TRANSFERS. He is also a gunsmith and does good work at a reasonable price... $15 per gun for trigger jobs on my Glocks. Gunbroker has a list of FFLs if you plug in your zipcode. Get to know your community guys/gals... but if you have a show coming up, I would go to it and check it out.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

cj
    I used Davidsons once to order online and have it sent to one of their dealers. When I picked it up and chatted with the store owner (I had thought it was still beneficial to them since they got to set the price to an extent), the admitted that they'd prefer if I came in and ordered through them directly so that they could choose the distributor...an overall better deal for them. So that's what I did the next time, and they beat the online price for me.

I'll always TRY to buy local, but a others have stated, some places just mark things up to a truly unreasonable extent. When I was in a bigger city, one place was charging $600 for something that someone else had regularly for $400. If those were my choices in my local area, I'd be ordering more online. Fortunately, I've got a good place nearby that supports our local gun club, and they've got a reasonable markup...maybe a LITTLE higher than what I could get online, but low enough to motivate me to support local.

I've bought my last two guns online and had zip problems. My first was from gallerofguns.com. I ordered it on a tuesday and had it the next day. Super fast shipping. They overnight all guns to your FFL. I also ordered from thegunsource.com and they were good as well. Not as fast as gallerofguns but I had it in about 5 business days. Not a bad wait. They were extremely helpful as well. Usually your online stores are reputable. budsgunshop.com is another good one. Just my two cents.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links