Where to purchase: online or local store?

This is a discussion on Where to purchase: online or local store? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If my dealer can't find what I need I go online and have him transfer it in. He charges $30 per transfer and it is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to purchase: online or local store?

If my dealer can't find what I need I go online and have him transfer it in. He charges $30 per transfer and it is pretty close to what his mark-up on guns is anyways so I am not lessening his profits.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    As with everything, your mileage will vary by location and ability to find a good local FFL holder. I have found that the local guys, for some reason, have started jacking their prices up beyond the MSR. When that happens, I can usually find what I want on the net cheaper, even with the normally $60 I need to add for shipping and transfer. When the locals drop down to 10% below MSR then there is a parity of cost I can afford (immediate access to the gun, taxes, and the fact I am willing to pay a little more to keep the shops running). But, I believe, without the internet to provide some way to keep prices reasonable, the locals will take advantage. Just my observation from where I sit.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

What I do is shop online and get all the prices, shipping fees, transfer fees and whatnot.

Then I go to my local dealers and let them get within $50 of the best total OTD price I can get online. Sometimes I can buy the gun locally and it's worth it to pay the $50 extra for that. I try to keep my money local, but I will not pay through the nose to do it.

Transfer fees will vary by dealer. One wants $50 and another wants $25. There are a few in between those prices as well. I think it's important to have a good relationship with a local dealer or two so you can get the stuff you want when you want it.

Biker

Just placed an order for a DW Bobtail commander 10mm with my dealer. He said as soon as he can find one he'll call me. He placed an order with his distributer and headed off to check gunsamerica, gunbroker, etc and shop around for me to see if he could get one sooner.

That is what my money gets me. A dealer that will go the distance.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I refuse to " buy online " I buy thro a fairly local brick and morter shop , now he is pretty online savvy , and i will link him to deals i find , but none the less i buy thro him and order no firearms myself . Its worth what little he adds just on the in shop trades i get from that policy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My dealer is only two miles away. He has been able to get me whatever I desire. Sometimes depending on the market, it may take a few weeks but he never fails. Also happens to have the best prices.

My family has a business; it has helped me to appreciate and symphazie with the mom and pop shops.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links