please.get my mind right about safeties - Page 2

please.get my mind right about safeties

This is a discussion on please.get my mind right about safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It really depends on the situation. With my M&P there is no question/choice, even if there was one, I carry RIC with no external safeties. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: please.get my mind right about safeties

It really depends on the situation. With my M&P there is no question/choice, even if there was one, I carry RIC with no external safeties. Same with my LC9 even though it does have an external safety. But I always carry my SA 1911 with the external safety engaged.

No safety on my SD9 and I have no problems drawing or reholstering in my (IWB) king tuk. Once you train to keep the index off the trigger it becomes a natural thing. It just makes you afraid because you haven't trained.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

If you use a handgun with a safety you better practice a lot so you have that muscle memory embeded in you. That said I've heard story's (can't confirm them) about instructors that use handguns with external safety's for years and have used their pistol in a drill and forgot or missed swiping the safety. So even though they have that muscle memory. Under a stressfull situation, you may forget or mess us. You never know until that happens.

After hearing that, this was a major reason why I switched over from 1911's to Glocks for CC. One of the last things I want to happen is get into a gunfight and have that happen. So I feel more comfortable with a cc weapon that dosen't have an external safety.

As mentioned do not touch the trigger until your ready to fire at you target and you'll be okay.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

When you NEED you gun to go "RIGHT NOW"...you shouldn't be fumbling with a safety. If you're carrying with the safety off, that means you don't need a safety. Not to mention, high-stress = fine motor skills diminish. Go with the internal (drop) safeties (Glock, SIG, H&K) or maybe a grip safety (XD).

If you're worried about whether you will be "safer" with an external safety, the problem isn't the gun...

Regardless of what you purchase--seek training beyond what is required for a permit. Learn how to employ the gun--not just punch holes in paper.
    oneshot and tcox4freedom like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Whether a gun has a safety or not, there are more important things involved in gun selection. Caliber, capacity, and ergonomics. Length, width, and weight. When you find the gun that solves all those problems, the issue of the safety is utterly trivial.

So. Let's say the gun that fits all the above criteria for you happens to have a safety on it. Well, if that's a problem - like maybe somebody on the Internet told you that in a high-stress situation, you might forget it's on - then you could just leave it off.

To be fair, it's something I did think about, when transitioning from revolvers to the semi-auto platform. I wondered if the safety was going to be a complication and that maybe leaving it in the "off" position was going to be the better move. In practice, however, I found that there's no problem with it. Non-issue.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    When the excrement hits the oscillating device, all I want to worry about is putting the front sight on the bad guy and squeezing the trigger. That is why I carry a Glock 19. I think if a person is used to a 1911, or another platform with a thumb safety, you can certainly ingrain that into your muscle memory, but I happen to choose the simpler platform. This is up to personal preference and your own risk/reward perspective on the issue.
    I agree 100%, When researching simi-autos I wanted one similar to my revolver I was use to carrying..no safety..just pull the trigger. Thats why I chose my Glock 19, my finger is my safety.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I shoot both a full size 1911 in .45 and a Glock 19. For carry, it is the Glock. My reasoning on this is that a missed safety sweep with the thumb matters not on the Glock in a high stress situation. I train for the thumb sweep on the 1911 and find myself sweeping the glock as well even though it has no external safety. All in what you get used to...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    I reviewed this very issue before I purchased an autoloader for carry. I decided on the CZ 75D PCR. The "D" stands for decocker. I prefer to decock rather than have to engage a safety. Like others, if I ever need to use the gun, I just want be able to pull the trigger. Guess that's why I'm also a revolver fan.

Some have concerns about the different trigger pulls between DA and SA. I've found it not to be an issue for me.

I personally do not like manual safeties on a defensive weapon. I like as few points of failure as possible. A manual safety is one more thing that can go wrong. However I agree with what others have said/ It's all what your comfortable with.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you go with a firearm with a safety, TRAIN to disengage it.

I've been there and didn't. The silence you hear when you pull the trigger at a guy pointing his gun in your face is deafning.

That being said, I've changed how I train and disengage the safety when ever I pull the gun from it's holster now.

I doubt seriously I will ever make that mistake again.
    tcox4freedom and Las Vegan like this.

VIP Member
    I would encourage you to go with the pistol with which you are personally the most comfortable, and then practice,practice, practice until you become flawless with it. Here are the criteria I use in choosing and recommending an edc:
    either a 9mm or .45 acp due to ammunition availability, cost and performance;
    tolerant of unlimited dry fires and draws;
    high capacity (at least 10 rounds between reloads);
    a proven record of performance and reliability;
    simplicity in assembly, dis-assembly and maintenance;
    under 32 ounces carry weight;
    large enough frame to effectively and quickly grip, draw, point shoot and recover;
    availability of a Brommeland Max-Con V holster to carry it in. If Brommeland makes a holster for it, concealability, comfort, access and securement are all givens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I personally do not like manual safeties on a defensive weapon. I like as few points of failure as possible. A manual safety is one more thing that can go wrong. However I agree with what others have said/ It's all what your comfortable with.
    I like this way of phrasing it. A safety should be transparent to an intermediate user. Points of failure include safeties, mag release disconnects and badly placed mag release buttons (for your hand size). If you accidentally hit the mag release on an LC9 it won't fire. Let us know what you choose. Go to a gun show and operate a variety of handguns.

Safeties generally seem to be discussed in the context represented here, from the perspective of the "owner". Massad Ayoob (among others, I'm sure) suggested a different view: the safety as a defensive measure. Specifically, having something that makes your system proprietary to you, whether it's a one-level security holster (thumb snap, directional draw, etc) or a safety of some type, makes it harder for someone to obtain control of your weapon and use it against you. It potentially buys time in which to react.

Obviously that's even more important for a uniformed officer whose gun is more "available", as well as anyone who open carries, but it also applies to any unarmed confrontation while wearing a gun. Not every scenario will begin with your gun in your holster and you choosing to draw it; life, unfortunately, isn't one-dimensional.

Distinguished Member
    Great insight Malchira. Mas is seeing a view on this most of us have maybe overlooked. Also the possibility of a ND upon reholstering does exist, however remote that may be. I have a quality holster, (CBST), and my EDC is a Sr9c. For now, I carry with the safety on. When I feel more comfortable with my brain/muscle safety I will definately leave it off. I am still in my first year of concealed carry.

I like single-action automatics with external safeties. I genuinely feel that they represent an advancement over the convoluted trigger safeties and other DAO designs featuring no external safety. If we had spent the last 100 years putting up with mushy triggers with safety levers in their centers and a new handgun design hit the market that featured a clean, crisp trigger, made available at the simple flick of a conveniently located safety lever, all would hail it as a break-through advancement.

It's all a matter of perception. Many in the current generation of shooters seem to have a defeatist attitude that they "might not be able to do it" when a serious need for a handgun arises and the pistol has an external safety.

Shoot what you like but the pistol with no external safety isn't necessarily superior. It's a trade-off.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; February 11th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links