please.get my mind right about safeties - Page 3

please.get my mind right about safeties

This is a discussion on please.get my mind right about safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RugerMike When the excrement hits the oscillating device, all I want to worry about is putting the front sight on the bad ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: please.get my mind right about safeties

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    When the excrement hits the oscillating device, all I want to worry about is putting the front sight on the bad guy and squeezing the trigger. That is why I carry a Glock 19. I think if a person is used to a 1911, or another platform with a thumb safety, you can certainly ingrain that into your muscle memory, but I happen to choose the simpler platform. This is up to personal preference and your own risk/reward perspective on the issue.
    Well said.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I'm with the majority here. I don't want any manual safety on my defensive firearms. I simply want to point and pull the trigger.

During the last two seasons duck hunting, I've missed several shots simply because I forgot to take the safety off my shotgun. Since I hunt with several other people, safeties are always on until it's time to shoot. The problem is that in the excitement of the moment, it's easy to forget the simplest things. The good thing is that those weren't life and death situations.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    My K-Tec P-11, S&W M&P9c, S&W Sigma 9, DO NOT have safeties, save for the hinged triggers on the M&P and Sigma.

I just Picked up a S&W 6906 and a 6904, both with decockers.
    I would carry the decocker pistols with the firearm ready to fire, without having to de-activate the decocker.
    I would however, NOT have a pistol for SD that had an actual "safety" which would have to be fumbled with, in order to fire it.

But, like all things of this earth, this is a subjective personal matter with which YOU must come to terms with.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I took the thumb safety OFF my M&P9C and installed frame plugs. It is much better this way. Another thing I found when carrying with a thumb safety, a lot of times it gets snagged on clothes or whatever and gets putt in the "off" position sometimes. My M&P only goes bang when I deliberately pull the trigger. If you have a holster that is good quality and covers the trigger, that is all you need.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    When you NEED you gun to go "RIGHT NOW"...you shouldn't be fumbling with a safety. If you're carrying with the safety off, that means you don't need a safety. Not to mention, high-stress = fine motor skills diminish. Go with the internal (drop) safeties (Glock, SIG, H&K) or maybe a grip safety (XD).

If you're worried about whether you will be "safer" with an external safety, the problem isn't the gun...

Regardless of what you purchase--seek training beyond what is required for a permit. Learn how to employ the gun--not just punch holes in paper.

Just the one on the holster, right?

Because when I need my gun, I need to get it right now and not be fumbling with some button to get my gun out...

Just say'n.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    I'm only about two months in to CCW. I carry a M&P9c w/o the thumb safety. However, as a precaution and until I am confident I will keep that booger picker off the bang switch until the time is right, I do not carry with one in the chamber. I practice my draw three times a week and am growing more comfortable with my draw with each practice but I'm not ready to carry with one in the chamber quite yet.

Just my $.02....
    If you put chambering a round into your drawing muscle memory you will never really have to chamber a round. The difference in speed between drawing and racking and just drawing is really quite small if you are memoried into it. A problem could arise if there ever was on in the chamber you would be so used to rack 'n' track that you will eject a perfectly good round.

The last thing I need if I am forced to use my carry weapon is to have to think about a safety. DA/SA autos make the question easy, same as revolvers. I only own one handgun with a safety, a PPK/s, and I only use it as a decocker.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Just the one on the holster, right?

Because when I need my gun, I need to get it right now and not be fumbling with some button to get my gun out...

Just say'n.
    Touché
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BitReaver View Post
    If you put chambering a round into your drawing muscle memory you will never really have to chamber a round. The difference in speed between drawing and racking and just drawing is really quite small if you are memoried into it. A problem could arise if there ever was on in the chamber you would be so used to rack 'n' track that you will eject a perfectly good round.
    One big problem for those that carry without a round chambered. Your weak hand might not be available because you're using it to fight the BG off, or it may be injured, or it could be pinned down and you can't chamber a round effectively. All these examples go away if a round is chambered. Just Sayen....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your question, it would depend on the gun. A 1911, or any other semi auto that you plan to carry cocked, then you definitely want a safety on it. If it is a double action you will be carrying with the hammer down, a safety is not something you need on it, but if it is there, no biggie. A striker fired gun, I see no reason for an external safety on it at all.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    My M&P 9 has the external safety, and I like having it. You just need to practice with it, so you won't forget to take it off it under stress.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I own CC guns with external safeties and passive safeties. But, the only "safety" I truly rely on is my "brain".

"Train-the-brain" correctly and you can adapt & overcome almost anything.

-

Quote Originally Posted by BitReaver View Post
    To me this thread isn't about carrying with one in the chamber or not. That has been covered to death on this forum. But carrying on an empty chamber is about the dumbest thing you can do.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    I'm only about two months in to CCW. I carry a M&P9c w/o the thumb safety. However, as a precaution and until I am confident I will keep that booger picker off the bang switch until the time is right, I do not carry with one in the chamber. I practice my draw three times a week and am growing more comfortable with my draw with each practice but I'm not ready to carry with one in the chamber quite yet.

Just my $.02....
    Carrying without a round in the chamber is just short of not carrying at all in my opinion. Train like you fight (as the Army says).
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

JD
    Administrator
    Guys, lets keep it on the mechanical saftey topic...any other "chamber commentary" will be axed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links