please.get my mind right about safeties

This is a discussion on please.get my mind right about safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD Guys, lets keep it on the mechanical saftey topic...any other "chamber commentary" will be axed. Ooops. No to safety...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: please.get my mind right about safeties

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Guys, lets keep it on the mechanical saftey topic...any other "chamber commentary" will be axed.

Ooops. No to safety
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    I have a few M&ps and have been carrying everyday for 8 years, that being said I still find myself carrying the Only M&P i have with a thumb safety more than the others. I feel comfortable without the safetyat all times except when re holstering the Un Safetied M&Ps.While they are in my hand or in my IWB holster I have no worries at all, Its just the transition from my hand into my IWB holster that makes me a little uneasy. Just My .02
    Yup. this is why I use a good holster and don't race to put it back. Just need to get it out quick with the finger off the trigger. Which I practice.I look at my holster putting it back. Some of my cheaper holsters I would take them off put the gun in then put the holster on. Thats why the investment of a good holster is a must

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    I like this way of phrasing it. A safety should be transparent to an intermediate user. Points of failure include safeties, mag release disconnects and badly placed mag release buttons (for your hand size). If you accidentally hit the mag release on an LC9 it won't fire. Let us know what you choose. Go to a gun show and operate a variety of handguns.
    Just a note the Mag safety on an LC9 is very easy to remove it you do not like it. There are those that are pushing to make the Mag safety a requirement on all autos.

If you get your mind right, you don't need a mechanical safety. Keep the gun properly holstered, don't fidgit with it, don't constantly load and unload it, keep your finger off the trigger, keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times, and if it is not on your person lock it in a safe. Follow these rules religiously and you're golden without an external mechanical safety.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yes on a safety.

Train yourself in disengaging the safety until its no more possible to forget to disengage it than it is that you'll forget to pull the trigger.

Train yourself to re-engage the safety every time before holstering and you'll never have a case of Glock Leg. (There's a reason it's not called "1911 Leg".)

As previously mentioned, it is at least possible that if you lose control of your weapon to a BG he may not be able to defeat the safety before you pull a BUG or get away.

As not previously mentioned, if someone not authorized to handle your weapon gets a hold of it (a child, for example) they might not be able to disengage the safety and discharge it. Google AD's/ND's with children and see how many times a very young kid gets a hold of a revolver or safety-less semi-auto and fires it—they learn point & click at an early age. (I don't have to Google it myself, my wife was shot as a toddler by her 4 year old cousin who found grandpa's nightstand revolver.) I know some people will think and perhaps post that they will 'never' let their weapon get into the hands of anyone not authorized to have it, but 'never' is a very long time and it happens time and again.

It's a personal choice and this thread as had a bunch of level-headed posts on the pros and cons of each, so pay your money, take your choice, and train with whatever you choose.

Safety.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Quote Originally Posted by concealrus View Post
    Ok, please give me your opinion about cc an external safety semi auto vs a non external safety.

Should I appreciate the thumb safety and train that way or embrace the no external safety way and treat my trigger finger as the safety?

This of course is a.major considerations in gun selection.

Thanks for your replies.
    Many will tell you the safety is between your ears. For the most part.....this is correct. Safeties as a major consideration to gun selection only means one thing to me.........you would rather be dependent instead of being independent. Many need something to fall back on beside themselves because they are not sure. Simple fact. I never intend to hurt anyone's feelings with my posts.
    If your feelings are hurt by what I say, then quite probably you won't kill anyone to save your own life.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

The best safety is keeping your trigger finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.

With that being said, do what you feel right doing but practice and train a lot to make whatever your choice like second nature when the SHTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The external safeties do not matter to me. I have more important criteria when buying a CCW. If it has one either carry it off or carry it on and train accordingly. Not any different than a grip safety, or any other safety. Still have to manipulate the gun to make it work. Train accordingly and it wont matter. I dont buy all the one more thing to go wrong ideas people throw around because it has a safety. It is no more mechanically susceptible than any other part of the machine.. Too much lint in your gun from your pocket can make things go wrong too...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Always carried revolvers ... for years. So, never had a safety other than my finger, and making sure nothing ever got hung up nor snagged the trigger (trigger guarded) ... So, on semi's, they really made no difference to me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

No safety for this guy. I have shot thousands of rounds through my Benelli SBE II and still manage to forget to take the safety off at least once a year while duck and goose hunting. Then it just pisses me off....in a defensive situation it could get me killed. Right now I use a Blackhawk Serpa Concealment holster. This is a level 2 holster and to release the gun from the holster your finger has to compress a lever on the side of the holster. This leaves your finger in the safe position on the gun when you draw it naturally. I know the people that are in favor of safeties are going to say that you have to push a lever on the holster that is the same as flipping the safety on a gun but it isnt. The placement of this lever is in the perfect place that my finger would be to safely draw my gun even if the lever was not there and it keeps your finger out of the trigger guard. This was a huge factor when I matched the gun to holster for me. Even though it is a natural motion practice practice practice.....when you are tired of practicing and thing you have it second nature.....practice more....Just my feelings on this subject.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeyebri View Post
    No safety for this guy. I have shot thousands of rounds through my Benelli SBE II and still manage to forget to take the safety off at least once a year while duck and goose hunting. Then it just pisses me off....in a defensive situation it could get me killed. Right now I use a Blackhawk Serpa Concealment holster. This is a level 2 holster and to release the gun from the holster your finger has to compress a lever on the side of the holster. This leaves your finger in the safe position on the gun when you draw it naturally. I know the people that are in favor of safeties are going to say that you have to push a lever on the holster that is the same as flipping the safety on a gun but it isnt. The placement of this lever is in the perfect place that my finger would be to safely draw my gun even if the lever was not there and it keeps your finger out of the trigger guard. This was a huge factor when I matched the gun to holster for me. Even though it is a natural motion practice practice practice.....when you are tired of practicing and thing you have it second nature.....practice more....Just my feelings on this subject.

What's bad for the goose is bad for the gander. Plenty of people of have made serious errors when using the Serpa, (with a gun with a safety at that) enough that several agencies and professional trainers have prohibited them in their classes. When a specific brand/model of holster facilitate more negligent discharges...oh forget it, lets not make this a Serpa bashing thread.

What it all boils down to is teaching yourself to perform a procedure with a single digit of your hand, you use your finger, I use my thumb. The problems with both safeties and Serpas, is that not everyone puts in the effort to get the system down.

Both can cause accidents but I haven't seen the 1911 getting banned from training classes yet.

**edited to add: To be fair through, there are certainly many agencies that do prohibit the use of 1911 style cocked and locked firearms**

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyebri View Post
    I sent in the required paperwork with a copy of my hunters education card and a money order for the $50. Sent it snail mail by sticking it in the corner mailbox at around 8:00PM on Thurs. Feb 9th so it wasn't picked up till Fri. the 10th.

heading to Wally world with my Springfield XD45 strapped on for my right of passage walk....I am pumped to finally excericise my 2nd ammendment right and feel a sence of security knowing that my family as well as myself can be defended from all of the mxed up people in this crazy world we live in. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Summed up this is how it went:
    Mailed application on Fri Feb. 10th
    Check cashed ???
    Permit issued Feb. 14th
    Recieved Permit in hand Feb. 16th

Permit #74,5XX
    Your firearm HAS a safety right there in the grip, you've been carrying for...a day, your training requirement was met with a hunter's safety certificate...

How long have you had the Serpa and how many hours have you spent on that draw stroke?

Not trying to belittle you or your opinion, but you don't exactly have a lot of experience.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links