please.get my mind right about safeties

This is a discussion on please.get my mind right about safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, please give me your opinion about cc an external safety semi auto vs a non external safety. Should I appreciate the thumb safety and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: please.get my mind right about safeties

please.get my mind right about safeties

Ok, please give me your opinion about cc an external safety semi auto vs a non external safety.

Should I appreciate the thumb safety and train that way or embrace the no external safety way and treat my trigger finger as the safety?

This of courae is a.major considerations in gun selection.

Thanks for your replies.

2. Remove Ads

Hello an welcome....I consider my trigger finger the ultimate safety.
    paching, ksblazer, rdpG19 and 2 others like this.
    No damn man kills me and lives.
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    what KWAG said and strongly consider additional training before carrying in public.
    you owe it to yourself to be able to do right for yourself and to do no harm to others in the process.
    surefire7 and larrylandon like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Been shooting my whole life, but you're right. I'm signed up for cc class and plan on several more. I'm just new to the whole trigger safety thing, but my background has been revolvers. But that's the same thing, right? No safety/

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I really like a thumb safety.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

My brain is the safety...

Perhaps because my first serious handgun was a 1911, a manual safety doesn't daunt me or slow me down. Nor does the absence of a manual safety cause me any mental confusion when I shoot my Kahrs, Glock or revolvers.

I think the safest approach is, per your suggestion, to treat your trigger finger as the safety.
    JD likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm only about two months in to CCW. I carry a M&P9c w/o the thumb safety. However, as a precaution and until I am confident I will keep that booger picker off the bang switch until the time is right, I do not carry with one in the chamber. I practice my draw three times a week and am growing more comfortable with my draw with each practice but I'm not ready to carry with one in the chamber quite yet.

Just my $.02....

Training and practice should make you comfortable and safe with either. That being said, personally I am more comfortable with the extra safeties on my 1911's that is what the
    majority of my experience is with. The Glock people may feel differently on this but it seems to me that having a thumb safety and grip safety in addition to my finger safety reduces
    the chances of a ND.

When the excrement hits the oscillating device, all I want to worry about is putting the front sight on the bad guy and squeezing the trigger. That is why I carry a Glock 19. I think if a person is used to a 1911, or another platform with a thumb safety, you can certainly ingrain that into your muscle memory, but I happen to choose the simpler platform. This is up to personal preference and your own risk/reward perspective on the issue.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Depends on what your are comfortable with and the weapon.
    Example LCP 380 has no safety, does not need one longer trigger pull built not to use one
    LC9 has one but most do not use it because again the trigger pull while shorter than the LCP it is still one that if not going to go off when you do not want it to.
    Ruger SR9C has one but why use it it has the trigger safety system that is flawless
    Now if you buy one with a light trigger pull then I would use the safety it is just to easy for one to fire if some thing catches on the trigger.
    Look at the trigger on this SR9C this can be found on other weapons also it is great for CC IMO.
    SR9C (1).JPG

Your most reliable safety is between your ears. But it'll take a little bit for it to be automatic. Don't worry about being a bit nervous having one chambered. I expect you were nervous when you started driving, too. With time, you will be proficient and comfortable. Then you'll snag a 1911, carry it chambered, cocked, and locked. And feel completely at ease.

I have a few M&ps and have been carrying everyday for 8 years, that being said I still find myself carrying the Only M&P i have with a thumb safety more than the others. I feel comfortable without the safetyat all times except when re holstering the Un Safetied M&Ps.While they are in my hand or in my IWB holster I have no worries at all, Its just the transition from my hand into my IWB holster that makes me a little uneasy. Just My .02
    Ducmonster likes this.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I personally don't like to carry pistols with external non-passive safeties. It's a personal choice though and if I was going to carry with a safety, it would be a thumb safety that is integrated into my grip. Such as on a 1911 or M&P. Also, I would go one way or the other all the way so that I only train one way.

It really is a personal choice, no right or wrong, both have pluses and minuses, so go with what you are comfortable with.

Either way, I would definitely carry with a round in the chamber.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    I have a few M&ps and have been carrying everyday for 8 years, that being said I still find myself carrying the Only M&P i have with a thumb safety more than the others. I feel comfortable without the safetyat all times except when re holstering the Un Safetied M&Ps.While they are in my hand or in my IWB holster I have no worries at all, Its just the transition from my hand into my IWB holster that makes me a little uneasy. Just My .02
    Thats a good feeling to have.

I see guys all the time throwing their pistols back into their holsters like it is a race.

I'm not a fan of external safeties. Just personal preference. Most likely I feel I'd gain too much confidence in an external safety and be less cautious upon drawing/reholstering. Or that I'd be inadequate at drawing&de-safetying. I do carry the M&P9c with the safety removed, so I could re apply it later on if I decided I wanted it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links