Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands

This is a discussion on Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You made two great suggestions with the LCP and CM9. Kahrs have excellent reputations, I'm not sure where you heard their reputation was variable....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    You made two great suggestions with the LCP and CM9. Kahrs have excellent reputations, I'm not sure where you heard their reputation was variable.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd recommend the Kahr. Wife has the CW9 and it has been completely reliable. Has fired everything it has been fed, with no malfunctions.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Just go to your local gun store and try several on for size and see which one fits your hand the best. Definitely try on the Kahr CM9 for size, it is almost the perfect subcompact out there. Just my .02. Good luck
    je77ep likes this.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Question about the Kahr: Apparently you are not to release the slide by pulling back on it, you are only to release the slide using the mechanical release. What if you are trained to always charge by pulling the slide back by hand? Why won't the weapon charge with the standard slide rack + release? Is there a magazine modification that will change this?

Liberty Dude

Im a little on the small side also. And for a range gun and carry in cooler weather I have a springfield xdsc 9mm. I like the way it fits my hand and its a good shooter. But im also looking into slim line 9mms for summer carry as the xdsc is a little thick for concealling in hot weather. Try as many as you can to see what works best for you. Good luck with the gun you choose.

Do a search on YouTube for Kahr magazine mod because there is a video. I have not done any modification to mine and have never had a problem just racking the slide to chamber one
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

PM or CM9 I have both and they are excellent Nice triggers and they fit my smaller hands perfect I also own the LCP and P3AT but these are a bit too small for the role of a primary ccw.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Because you have a M&P i would recommend the same in the compact version.

Or a CM9

I actually have an M&P 45 compact and a CM9

They complement each other very well

The triggers are different, but similar enough that you could go back and forth and not see too much difference.

I would recommend that you not try and go back and forth from a DAO to DA\SA pistol (works for some, but not for all)
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Consider the:

Glock 26 - grip really isn't bad. It is smaller than the 19.
    Bersa BP9cc
    Sig P238

or wait until Springfield comes out with the single stack 9mm this Spring or Summer.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

You sound very similar to me other than the fact that over the past year I have put on an extra 15lbs for a variety of reasons, so I am 5'6" and about 180. My hands sound very similar to yours - small size glove typically.

My normal non-work attire is cargo shorts and a relatively loose fitting T shirt or golf/polo shirt.

I just got my carry license today. I am leaving for the gun show in an hour to try to strike a deal on a 9mm PPS.

My wife and I both rented the gun last weekend and LOVED it. Shot extremely well with it at 7, 10 and 15 yds first time picking it up. I know it will serve me well from a standpoint of shooting it comfortably and is a good quality firearm shooting a good performing round - so no mouse gun worries.

I do not yet know how it will conceal, but am planning on probably a hybrid IWB holster - strong side at 4ish o-clock to start with, and a good belt. I think the Kahr's would also be great options for a good balance of capabilities, but I simply have not been able to find someone that will rent one, and I will not take the chance for my first carry gun without shooting it. That simple. We are probably going to buy two PPS's, my wife liked it that much as well.

Hope this helps a bit...

Steve

Take a day and either go to a Gun Show or go to all the gun stores in town. Handle as many guns as you can. Find the one that fits you best. As long as you stick with one of the major manufacturers you're most likely going to end up with a good and reliable carry weapon.

It's all about what feels best to you, not whatever some guy in a store, on the internet or at a range told you to buy. Take recommendations and advice but let them only sway you so much.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Ruger sr9c has a very nice slim handle, springfield xdm and gen 4 Glocks have changeable back straps for hand sizes hope this helps.

Ok. The list now includes two options: Nano or P938. I'll have to wait on the P938, so I may go ahead and pick up the Nano now...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    PPS would be an excellent option of those you mentioned. I think it will hold up much better to extensive range practice than the LCP will. The LCP is well built, but it really is not a range gun.
    I have small hands and find my PPS is a excellent choice for size, accuracy and ease of use.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

PPS and M&P9c may be added back to the list, depending on whether I want to pocket or holster. Hmm...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links