Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands - Page 3

Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands

This is a discussion on Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther PPS...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands

Walther PPS

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    In sweatshirt weather you can carry a Glock 26 or any similar sized gun just fine. Any of the small Kahrs.

In the summer you will find an LCP or SIG P238 almost irresistable. I have all three. I can always hide the LCP. Pretty much always hide the P238, but in the summer the G26 is too bulky and prints more than I'd like.

As a general all the time carry gun for someone with small hands and a small frame it's hard to beat the SIG P238. It is very pleasant to shoot, accurate, has excellent sights, works extremely well for fast follow up shots, has a good trigger, and mine has been as reliable as gravity. It's easy to carry IWB under an untucked T-shirt in a MiniTuck, or in the front pocket of loose fitting jeans, or in a cargo pocket in a flat front pocket holster. Or OWB under a sweatshirt in the SIG holster.

The LCP is slightly smaller, easier to hide, harder to shoot well, has almost non-existant sights, not fun to practice with. But you can always hide it if you want to, and mine has been reliable as gravity.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

You will find that the Kahr PM9 or CM9 will fit into your pocket of loose jeans or cargo pants with no problem. You can then carry it there during all four seasons without a problem. As suggested, go check it out to see how it fits your hand, check the trigger pull. I will say it has a heavy slide pull, so if you are weak it might not be to your liking. I love mine.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

The Ruger SR9c would be a good option to consider. Very slim grip for a double stack, and the distance from the trigger to the top of the backstrap makes it a good fit for small hands. It's accurate, slim and easy to conceal IWB, and is easy and pleasant to shoot for long range sessions.

You and I are the same size. I carry a Ruger LCR .38 spec. Very light weight and just right for small hands. Always goes bang when you pull trigger.

RichB

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I am almost the same built as you and carry my Glock 26 all year with no problem. Just get a good holster that covers the trigger and a good gun belt. Here in FL in the summer is T-Shirts and cargo shorts most of the year. The biggest issue for me was the height of the grip. The G26 solves that problem nicely at barely over 4" and still carries 10 +1. Also, the G26 shoots like a full size pistol.

Both my wife and I have little hands. I held pretty much every handgun in the shop and fell in love with the grip of the Ruger SR9C. It's contours fit my "little girl hands" perfectly. She has the Beretta Nano. Once we figured out, like most Nano owners do, that it hates 115 gr. ammo. Flawless with 124 gr!
    Last edited by telechris74; February 12th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by libertydude View Post
    PPS and M&P9c may be added back to the list, depending on whether I want to pocket or holster. Hmm...
    Those u listed andThe Nano ,Sig P938 or Glock 26. But the Nano is still new so is the P938. The Nano looks good but really similar to a Glock26 so I didn't buy one. I CCw a G27. For the guns you listed I would not pocket carry. IMO most guns are to big for that. The add alot of bulk with a holster unless in a large jacket. JME/JMO
    A good "Small" holster is the key for a "Small" gun ime. My G27 sometimes would feel on the thick side when I was dressed light. But getting something like a smaller holster made it feel alot better. And it's only 1/4" thicker than most but you can tell when things are tight :). Good holster with any of those guns u listed will make you alot Happier. JMO/JME Good shopping and post your findings with pics :) Helps everyone who's on the constant search for good/best CCW.

sgb
    M&P 9c would be my top recommendation, followed by the Springfield EMP and the Kimber Solo Carry.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I am also a smaller guy, 5-7.
    Heres a way to "try on" a gun without actually shooting it, to see if it fits your hands.
    In the store, hold the gun in your left hand (assuming right handed) by the wring end. Close your eyes, and grab the grip with your right hand. Open the eyes. If the gun "fits" your hand will be correctly positioned on teh grip, with your trigger finger positioned on the trigger.
    test # 2.
    Before closing your eyes, look at something on the wall about 15' away. Do the same test, but point the gun, eyes closed at teh object. Then open eyes and see if its pointed at or reasonably close to the object. If it does, thats the gun for you.

Be sure to tell the store personell what you are going to do, and do this where the muzzle will be pointed safely throughout the test.

I carry either a colt mustang (Now a Seig 238) or a Smith 642 revolver, dependant of time of year dictating dress issues.

The real small 9s, like the LC9, PF9, etc have a lot of recoil, as does any weapon which weighs 15oz with full load ammo.
    Keep this in mind because you would want to practice with it.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Heres a way to "try on" a gun without actually shooting it, to see if it fits your hands.
    In the store, hold the gun in your left hand (assuming right handed) by the wring end. Close your eyes, and grab the grip with your right hand. Open the eyes. If the gun "fits" your hand will be correctly positioned on teh grip, with your trigger finger positioned on the trigger.
    This doesn't really account for either over-gripping or under-gripping, which may be a natural response for someone who is either new to the firearm or simply new to shooting.

Certainly, under-gripping may well be a manifestation of the gun being oversized for the shooter's hand, but it's also possible for a smaller shooter to over-grip an unfamiliar pistol, in an effort to compensate.

test # 2.
    Before closing your eyes, look at something on the wall about 15' away. Do the same test, but point the gun, eyes closed at teh object. Then open eyes and see if its pointed at or reasonably close to the object. If it does, thats the gun for you.
    The full NRA "Natural Point-of-Aim" test that I was taught consisted of the shooter actually presenting to full-extension and getting a full sight-alignment/sight-picture on the intended target, before lowering the gun, closing his/her eyes, and, with the eyes still closed, bringing the gun again to full-extension.

If the sight picture is off, on the horizontal plane, the shooter is instructed to adjust his/her footwork so as to correct for the misalignment. Rinse-and-repeat until the gun, presented to full-extension with the shooter's eyes closed, aligns with the target.

Whether the sight picture is indexed high or low will depend on the interaction of the anatomy of the shooter's hands versus the grip (including grip angle as well as other features) of the pistol. The shooter can be taught to index based on the firearm or, alternatively, the firearm can be modified to index more naturally for the shooter.

I do not necessarily feel that the former is indicative of the "fit" of a firearm to the shooter - rather, it's about the shooter finding his/her "Natural Point-of-Aim."

The latter, while it is an indicator of absolute "fit," is something that can be compensated for (anything from adding an accessory such as the GripForce Adapter for Glocks to different grip panels/stocks to custom grip-reductions and fram alterations) if other aspects of the gun fits the user well, and are considered by the user to be more important factors.

----

libertydude, you're going to have to go to the range, and test-out a few, live-fire.

Being in a gun-shop or show and holding different firearms is akin to being at a dealer showroom or a car-show. You can try the vehicle for "fit," but it's not going to tell you how the car drives.

Just as you wouldn't buy a car without a test-drive, I also do not think that anyone should buy a firearm specifically for defensive/"combat" use, without having taken it for a spin.

IMO I would stick with the 9mm like you want. I carry a Colt when I need to but I shoot my G27 with easy. Not much recoil to me. Once you are use to it. The Colt have a little less kick but not much IMO Small light guns have kick also JME

I am a 5'3" female with very small hands. My personal preference in carrying is the fullsize Taurus 1911 .45 (which is easier to carry and handle than the Witness Compact .40 double stack I originally bought to carry). It's much slimmer to conceal, I can get a good grip on the slimmer handle and doesn't pack such a punch when fired.
    It is always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and you can take that to the bank. Authur Unknown

Of the small single stacks that I own; Les Baer Stinger, SIG P6, SIG 230SL, and Walther PPS, my vote would go to the PPS.

The SIG P6 is actually thicker than my Baer and my 1911’s grips are quite a bit larger than the PPS. My PPS pictured has the large backstrap on, but you can get an idea of the thickness of the grips between P6, 230 and the PPS. With the small backstrap on the grip on the PPS is a little smaller than the SIG230.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I'm smaller than you are and I find Kahrs fit my hand very well. They feel "just right" in my hand. That said, I prefer my j-frames because they feel even better!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links