Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands

This is a discussion on Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, Thank you in advance for helping me out. The summary is: I'm ready to select a concealed carry weapon and need help addressing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carry Gun Advise for a Small Man with Small Hands

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for helping me out. The summary is: I'm ready to select a concealed carry weapon and need help addressing my small size and attire.

I guess the title says it all (and is maybe belittling as well, pun intended). My "range gun" is an M&P 9, standard barrel, with the APEX duty trigger/sear and RAM (installed myself). I'm now shopping for/debating a carry weapon. I selected the M&P because it had only a trigger safety, had a good reputation (particularly with the APEX mods), had interchangeable palm swells, and was American made.

The carry challenge is my size, complicated by my typical attire. I'm 5'6" and about 160lbs. I'm not "chunky", I keep pretty trim. I have very small hands. I typically wear a size small glove and even then the fingers are too long. I think an ideal glove would be a small fist with extra small fingers. As such, shooting in general can be a challenge, particularly in trigger reach. I can shoot the M&P fine, but tend to push down-left when pressing the trigger because my finger drags the frame, particularly after a long practice day. I also have to rotate the gun to get my thumb to the magazine release. I can work with and through all of these issues, but want to select the best weapon for the given variables.

As to my attire, it's very casual. For summer, usually cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Winter is jeans and a sweater, maybe a jacket or coat if it gets unusually chilly (I live in a warm climate obviously). I will change my attire if needed, but hope to find something that will work at least for the most part with what I'm used to. I think this will put me in the pocket gun category or maybe a slim/short IWB category.

I'm aware of the weaknesses of smaller options: lower magazine capacity, double action only triggers (some cases), double action first round (some others), shorter sight radius, shorter barrel (lower velocity), three-finger grip, etc. That said, I'm attracted to the smaller options not only because of their concealability, but also because they might run better in my hand.

Below is my "short list" and what (I think) I know about each:

Ruger (LCP/LC9): Solid reputation, decent dual action triggers, very compact, magazine safety (don't like)
    Kahr (PM/CM9): Variable reputation, highly regarded triggers, magazine/nose down in battery problems, no safeties other than the trigger
    Nano: Immature reputation, decent trigger, high barrel axis but still accurate with moderate recoil, compact but not like a LC9 or PM9
    PPS: Basically a full size but slim, not a pocket gun, good trigger, unique mag release, intriguing to me as a IWB option for my small frame
    1911: Slim and can be IWB in short barreled guise, excellent trigger, carried in condition 1 for best defensive value (I'm not worried about learning this method)
    Sig (224 is of interest): Variable reputation in later years, highly regarded triggers except for the DA initial pull, solid function, wide because double stack, no safeties other than the trigger

I'd kind of like to stick with a 9mm because I can share ammo, but will be flexible. I need a weapon I can practice a lot with, so options like the Rohrbaugh were out. I want something I can hammer and hammer, get good with, and still feel I can rely on if needed. There are a lot of others I looked at, but I'm concerned about the double stack magazines and/or larger chassis (PPQ, Steyr, larger framed Kahrs/Sigs, M&Pc). My intention is to hit a LGS and just wear them out, but I'm wondering if any of you have immediate "no" votes because of some aspect. For example, I was leaning toward a CZ75 as a range gun until I held one and the trigger was way out of reach.

Thanks for reading through all this and again for your advice. Looking forward to getting involved.

Liberty Dude

I would look at the SA emp in 9mm. A bit pricey but a very nice gun that meets your criteria.

I'm a little guy, and have very small hands. Seriously, my glove size is womens' medium. I don't know if I'm descended from elves or carnies, or what. LOL.

Anyway, I have 4 firearms that I routinely carry, depending on attire, weather, mood, etc.

They are: Glock 19, S&W 642, Ruger LCP, and Bulgarian Makarov. Of these, I'm almost NEVER without my trusty (100% reliable) LCP. BTW, It doesn't have a mag safety like the LC9.

The LCP is great pocket carried in cargo shorts or a pair of khakis.

Next most popular is my Makarov. It is slim, small, and carries very well. I only paid $229.00 for it. I carry it in an OWB holster and love it.

I take it your not a Glock guy. I have small hands also. Wear a size small glove. 5'7 157# and I carry a Gen 4 Glock 27 with the small backstrap and I can hammer and hammer it, got good with it and totally depend on it. Its not a problem for my cigar butt fingers.

But from the ones you mentioned I like the PPS. It fits my small hand great.

And also WELCOME to the forum.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Also, check out the thread in this same forum entitled "carry guns for a lady", I apologize in advance if you take offense, but there is some good info already posted there that meet your criteria. Good luck on the search and safe shooting!

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Bear in mind that what you really want is a smaller grip not a smaller gun. Smaller gun hurts more to shoot, in proportion. Suggest you go to a gun show and handle a lot of guns.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    EMP is to try...

sig p238 in 380 and soon to be released is the 9mm of the same gun.
    p938 i think. gonna be pricey but it may be what you need.

the p238 next to the AMT 380--casts virtually identical shadows and weight yet the sig is sweet to shoot and the
    AMT hates your hand. if in the 9mm version, sig contains the recoil, it will be a very successful product--and
    expensive

also look into the Kimber SOLO
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

You're about the same size as me.

I have just about given up on finding a gun that fits. Instead, I've decided to alter my grip and make something work.

Pretty much have to sacrifice forearm alignment to gain trigger placement, the latter for me is paramount. If I can get the center of my index finger pad, I can get a good trigger press, which means accuracy in my case.

The only pistol that I can get proper trigger purchase and forearm alignment is my SP101. Even the M&P pistols with their adjustable backstraps are still too long. The Glock gen 4 only reduced its trigger reach by about 3 mm. That's about 2mm too short still.

I prefer larger, double stack pistols. Never could get interested in Kahrs, et al...

We're smaller dudes in a larger dude world, gotta learn to adapt.

I carry my SP101 a lot , because in my blue collar job the 2" barrel is easier to carry AIWB while in odd positions. But otherwise I use an M&P .45, G23 or PT1911, depending on my mood and scheduled activities.

There ain't a one size fits all pistol, so we shouldn't expect a one size fits all shooting form. I'm on my way to creating my own, for me. Perhaps you'll have to do the same.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

And by the way, if you can get your hands on one of these you might like it. Ive not shot one, but it also feels sweeet in the hand.

Bersa BP9CC

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Administrator
    Keep in mind that with any Colt 1911 pattern pistol you can install THIN GRIPS - a FLAT MAINSPRING HOUSING - & a SHORT TRIGGER.
    That works out great for shooters with very small hands.
    Rock and Glock and pistola like this.

I'm a small dude. about 5'2 and I carry a sf xd 40 sub compact with a Pearce extension.

VIP Member
    I am small handed also and of the firearms you listed the only ones I have experience with is the 1911 and a different model of the Kahr. I too have to stretch to release the slide release and mag release on a 1911. As has been suggested being designed around the 9MM/40 the SA EMP is a good choice. As to the Kahr I have the CW40 which is a good fit for my hands, I have only run 300 rounds through it but have had no problems and it does have an excellent trigger.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Please look into the premium German guns. A Sig p225 will fit your hand excellent. Its like pulling Excalibur's sword from the stone. You can play with alot of its attributes to further its functions if desired. (SRT. Short trigger. Hammer springs. ect..)

Or even better is the HK p7 option. Overall dimensions are great, awesome single action trigger. 4.1" barrel, fastest and most accurate 9mm invented..... Plus is a very safe ccw.

Anyway, welcome to the board and good luck................... tROLL

Nice list you have. The Mag safety on the LC9 can be removed it is very easy to do . You may also want to look at the Ruger SR9C
    Have you considered a revolver?
    A lot of CC holders are switching back to good revolvers like the Ruger Sp101,S&W J fames they are out standing options.
    S&W Body Guard 38 SP so many to look at
    38 BodyGuard.JPGSR9C (1).JPG

VIP Member
    PPS would be an excellent option of those you mentioned. I think it will hold up much better to extensive range practice than the LCP will. The LCP is well built, but it really is not a range gun.
    Troll1 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links