Grandma's House Gun - Page 2

Grandma's House Gun

This is a discussion on Grandma's House Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 16 or 28 ga double barrel coach gun if you can find one. Or a .410 double. I doubt she will be able to handle ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Grandma's House Gun

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    16 or 28 ga double barrel coach gun if you can find one. Or a .410 double. I doubt she will be able to handle the recoil of a 20ga double.

She needs to try a double action revolver to see if she can pull the trigger and hit anything with it. If she can, S&W makes a .22 magnum revolver that might work great for her. Taurus maks the 941 light weight .22 magnum revolver, review of it here Taurus Model 941 Ultra-Lite .22 Magnum Revolver but the trigger pull on the Taurus may be way to heavy for her.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Please,no direspect here,but perhaps a gun isnt the answer.

^^^^I'm thinking the^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

same thing.

Maybe one of those gigantic cans of pepper spray, or if she must, maybe a S&W model 10 .38 4in. barrel.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Take her out and let her try a few guns. I think a revolver in .22 magnum or .327 magnum might work but you need to see what she likes. My wife surprised me when she said she wanted something bigger than her .380. She wanted an LC9. I didn't think she could handle it. I was wrong again.
    Also let Granny shoot targets close. It builds confidence and fun when they can see they are hitting the target.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My wife, 3 months short of 70 years old, and a great grandmother, has small weak hands that don't handle recoil well, and she has a very hard time pulling the trigger on a double action revolver. We bought her P238. She really likes that little pistol. Grandma might be able to manage it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

As mentioned the Coach gun in .410

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

A Keltec PMR30 might be a good idea. Low recoil and the .22 WMR is better than .22LR, and the thing holds a LOT of rounds.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    A Keltec PMR30 might be a good idea. Low recoil and the .22 WMR is better than .22LR, and the thing holds a LOT of rounds.
    I thought the same thing. Low recoil and 30 +1 rounds of .22 Mag. Only problem is the reliability of the Keltec. Might not be an issue with her as she probably won't be firing it alot.

The go-to gun for ease of use for people who have trouble with hand strength is the Beretta Tomcat. Easy to load, big fat easy to hold grip, and available with a big dot front sight or a lasergrip. The trigger is much easier than a typical DA revolver. You step down in power, but it's better than .22LR.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    She needs what is in her best interest and from your description of her and her situation, a gun is not a wise solution IMO. I'm thinking a well trained dog is the absolute best solution for an elderly person but only if said person is committed to working with the dog as a means and measure for maintenance. If this is going to happen then the dog is not a solution either. I agree with others that have suggested OC and a tazer as being good fall back on options as a way to give help time to arrive via the security system that is already in place.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Cool

As others have said if she is not willing to take the time to properly learn how to safely operate the chosen firearm then a firearm is not the right choice for her.

The Mace Pepper Spray Gun is multiple shots and has a range up to 25 feet. It may be a safer solution to her self defense needs.

Mace Pepper Gun - The Official Mace® Personal Defense Channel - YouTube

Good Luck.

Regards,

OS
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    A gun might not be the best option. But, if she's determined, see if you can find some kind of .410- like most everyone else is saying. It's small, light, and has practically no recoil. Not to mention that it can do some major damage- those .410 SD shells are pretty nasty.

While a double barrel would be nice, I would see if I could find some kind of pump action with a nice big magazine. If she's anything like my grandmother, I'm sure that if the need arises she'll empty that magazine faster than you would imagine.

A handgun is more likely to be hard for her to control, and also, harder for her to use under stress.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Maybe something like this:

Mossberg 410 pump

moss50359-1.jpg

The folks that are saying she may not need a gun.......I know.
    This lady is like Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies. Once she sets her mind to something, that's the way it's going to be. I'm going to try to talk her into pepper spray, but if that doesn't fly I would rather set her up with something safe than have her go to somebody who might suggest a firearm that she won't be able to handle.
    yooperdug likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Maybe something like this:

Mossberg 410 pump

moss50359-1.jpg

The folks that are saying she may not need a gun.......I know.
    This lady is like Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies. Once she sets her mind to something, that's the way it's going to be. I'm going to try to talk her into pepper spray, but if that doesn't fly I would rather set her up with something safe than have her go to somebody who might suggest a firearm that she won't be able to handle.
    I can very much respect as to what you are trying to do for her. Good for you!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

I believe the HD version of the Mossberg .410 is discontinued, but it is a great house gun. From what I've shot, the Winchester PDX shoots pretty erratic patterns from mine. Maybe it's set up for the Judge/Governor, rather than a long barrel. As usual, better to pattern in her gun before relying on it.

I really wish Beretta would bring back the 86. That would make a lot of people feel better caliber-wise than the .32.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

smith and wesson j frame. just load and pull the trigger
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links