Grandma's House Gun

This is a discussion on Grandma's House Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My suggestion would be the FN 5.7. God Bless...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Grandma's House Gun

My suggestion would be the FN 5.7. God Bless

2. Remove Ads

I like the idea of keeping the pointy end of a firearm as far away from her head as possible and was thinking that with a 410 and a forward vertical grip there might be less chance of her shooting hetself. With a snub I think she would be waving it around too much. I want the BG to see the shotgun and take off before Granny has to use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Edit.............

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    She is elderly, small and kind of frail (maybe 95 lbs wet).
    She won't be able to master any external controls or rack a slide.
    She will likely be very recoil sensitive, have a weak grip etc.
    She probably won't take any safety precautions too seriously.
    Your description of her makes this easy, throw me in with the "don't get gramma a gun" a gun crowd.

Realistically, who here really thinks this elderly lady would be able to wield a shotgun, a snubby, or really ANY firearm safely? If you won't take firearm safety seriously than you shouldn't own one, that goes for everyone.

It can be a delicate issue, but there is a point where a elderly person should not operate
    complex/dangerous machines like automobiles, firearms, etc, that could endanger others or themselves.

I'd go with a good dog.
    Last edited by DustyBottoms; February 13th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I think the Ruger LCR .22 is a great choice, light gun, light trigger, and 10 shots of CCI Velociters.....

Maybe let the UPS guy know that she's packin'! Couldn't resist, but all kidding aside the .410 sounds like a good answer In essence, she is safe as can be in that community,so the gun becomes a last-line of defense sort of thing.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Recently my father in law passed away and my elderly mother in law wants a firearm to keep around the house...
    ...She probably won't take any safety precautions too seriously...

Any Suggestions??
    I was about to share some details about my 80+ y.o. Mom's gun, 'til I saw the safety precautions comment. This is an absolute deal-breaker. With all due respect to your M-I-L, all these guys suggesting various guns need to re-think their positions! No guns for mother-in-law, Please! Stick with the dog, taser, and/or pepper spray approach.

Regards,
    Jim

What is all this she is old and can't be trusted with a firearm.
    She has every right to have a gun if she wants one.
    Do you think she should not have any knives, matches, etc.
    Old people are not young children, and most are capable of being safe.
    There are alot of old folks that have defended there self with a gun.

A single shot 410 is what I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Take her out and let her try a few guns. I think a revolver in .22 magnum or .327 magnum might work but you need to see what she likes. My wife surprised me when she said she wanted something bigger than her .380. She wanted an LC9. I didn't think she could handle it. I was wrong again.
    Also let Granny shoot targets close. It builds confidence and fun when they can see they are hitting the target.
    A nice heavy SP101 327 mag loaded with 32 Long is a great little plinker with hardly any recoil. A full up .327 mag load at 500 ft-lbs is not a light load by any stretch. However, double action trigger weight may be too much.

Definitely take her to a range. It may be great fun or it may change her mind. Win Win!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

In my opinion would only make a BG mad, and his one or two buddies ALSO charging through the door, Take it from her, and beat her over the head with it, once her single shot is used up.

Big can of OC spray.
    Any grandkids old enough to live with her wanna hang out with gramma for a while??

If nothing else, I'm for the Kel Tec .22 WMR., or a big .38 revolver.

I give up.
    yooperdug likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

In my opinion would only make a BG mad, and his one or two buddies ALSO charging through the door, Take it from her, and beat her over the head with it, once her single shot is used up.

Big can of OC spray.
    Any grandkids old enough to live with her wanna hang out with gramma for a while??

If nothing else, I'm for the Kel Tec .22 WMR., or a big .38 revolver.

I give up.
    You should give up after that statement.

In your mind she would take out all three of your bad guys with her 38.

A 410 with buck shot or a slug will do alot more then that 38.

My oldest sister is 70 yrs old. She is 90 lbs... when she's soaking wet and holding a 10 lb bag, skinny as a rail, and has arthritic hands, etc. . A duck doesn't make it 20 ft before she'll blast it out of the air with a 12 ga pump. Her 2nd shot, will net a 2nd duck. My sister also has a .38 and .357 revolver at home for added protection. She's a great shot with both. She can rack a semi, just doesn't like them.

Don't under-estimate your mother-in-law, let her decide what works for her ... and don't make too many assumptions.

My granddaughter wont' shoot either .410, she says they kick to hard. She would much rather shoot a .28 or 20 ga. Some .410's have some real kick.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    You should give up after that statement.

In your mind she would take out all three of your bad guys with her 38.

A 410 with buck shot or a slug will do alot more then that 38.
    ^^^^^^^
    What I'm speaking of in reference to is, that if she is limited to a single shot ANYTHING, it may do her more harm than good.
    Single shot while hunting. .........OK.
    Single shot while defending oneself and ones castle, especially if shes alone
    Not so OK,,,,,OK?

Please read and think through what others are posting about, before taking them to task.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Age (in itself) has nothing to do with it. But Rotorblade knows his mother-in-law better than any of us here do. He observes that, "She probably won't take any safety precautions too seriously." If he believes that, then providing a gun to her is irresponsible; bordering on criminal negligence.

My Mom is 86, but she has her wits about her 100%, and she is VERY safety conscious. She totes a .38 snub in her apron pocket (and is a crack shot with it). She has also conceded that when my sister, my brother-in-law, or I decide that she's no longer able to handle a gun safely, she will stop. She's no longer living by herself in an isolated location, so it's not as big an issue now, anyway.

There are plenty of old folks who, through no fault of their own, should NOT drive, or have guns, knives, or matches, unsupervised. That's not a matter of "rights", it's a matter of common sense.

...And for those who still CAN safely handle a firearm, a single-shot anything is a bad, bad choice for personal defense.

Regards,
    Jim

Get her a can of wasp spray backed up by a Ruger 10/22.

IMO, Ruger 10/22 is a good choice for a elderly person, with next to no recoil and plenty of fire power and easy to aim and control.

Wasp strap is effective shot in the face of attacker and most elderly know how to use it already.

As to rather wasp spray may be lethal to BG, if BG is attacking elderly person he needs a good shot of eye blinding chocking bad bug killer in the face from up to 20ft away.

BTW a 10/22 can handle more than 1 BG with ease.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links