Grandma's House Gun

This is a discussion on Grandma's House Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If she won't take safety issues seriously....get her a bigger dog. Otherwise, a J or K frame .38...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Grandma's House Gun

If she won't take safety issues seriously....get her a bigger dog.

Otherwise, a J or K frame .38

2. Remove Ads

If she wants a firearm and you help her pick one it's up to you to see that the has the skill and attitude to own it safely. There's no reason someone can't be taught the basics of safety, My kids could do it at 3. There are good and bad about all the suggestions so far. (well, except for wasp spray, are we still discussing that seriously?). Single shots are easy and simple, but lack firepower. Revolvers are easy to learn, hard for folks with weak hands to pull the DA trigger. The PMR30 has plenty of firepower and a light trigger, but the slide is small and it's a .22mag. The Mace Gun is easy to aim and use, but the stream is weak, the Kimber has better stream, but is hard to aim.

You've got a lot of work to do, I'd start by doing a safety briefing at home, then taking her to a rental range for an afternoon or two.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Please,no direspect here,but perhaps a gun isnt the answer.
    +1 I dont think she can safely employ a gun to protect herself...

VIP Member
    "She is elderly, small and kind of frail (maybe 95 lbs wet).
    She won't be able to master any external controls or rack a slide.
    She will likely be very recoil sensitive, have a weak grip etc.
    She probably won't take any safety precautions too seriously."

Based on these points I don't think a gun is an viable option. Perhaps a dog is a better way to go.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

*begin sarcasm now*

"Perhaps a gun is not the answer"

A gun is always the answer.... now to find the problem....

*end sarcasm*

Seriously though, my Mammy always kept a single shot 410.

She was able to use it often against the most annoying intruders without much trouble.

(Think the four legged, furry, garbage can raiding type)

It would bruise her shoulder pretty good but as she said "I'm tough as old boot leather"
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]It would bruise her shoulder pretty good but as she said "I'm tough as old boot leather"
    The problem is THIS gradma isn't YOUR grandma...

Ergo, a gun isn't ALWAYS a good solution for ALL people.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    The problem is THIS gradma isn't YOUR grandma...

Ergo, a gun isn't ALWAYS a good solution for ALL people.
    Wow... guess the asterisks, different font color, and stating that it was SARCASM both before and after wasn't enough.

Duly noted... next time I'll use an obscene amount of animated smileys to get the point across.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Just because grandma's old, she isn't necessarily helpless. My mother is 90, lives by herself on a busy 6 lane state highway and keeps an 870 loaded with 5 right by her bed at night and in the kitchen during the day. She has used guns all her life, but does not like pistols or revolvers. She shoots squirrels in her pecan trees with a .410, but believes in 12 ga dubble 0 for protection.

About 3 years ago, she heard a noise on her detached carport/storage area and went out the back door with the shotgun ready and a cordless phone in her gown. There she found a totally " neckid" prowler who was drunk or high on her carport. He did not speak english, but she said when he saw the Remington, he understood shotgun. He laid down and mumbled while the 911 dispatchers sent a deputy sheriff to haul him in. Deputy asked if she was all right and if he needed to call anyone and her comment was that the only problem was that her feed were cold.
    phreddy and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Take Grandma shooting. Rent or borrow a revolver. If she can't/won't handle the gun safely, find another option. However, I would not underestimate her abilities without giving her a chance to demonstrate them.

That's why so many robbers, attempt to rob "older" people.... they think they are 'easy' and will not fight back, nor have a gun. That's how a lot of robbers & burglars also end up dead.

Nearly 1/2 the permits in our state are people over 60. Numerous over 80. I heard the oldest one to 'qualify' and has a permit is 96 or 97 yrs old.
    1959 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

It depends on her training potential, eyesight, and physical abilities. Still, she may not be ready for the responsibilities. Only after she is properly trained and evaluated will you know.

Good luck. I too am rapidly approaching old age. I have been increasingly aware that I am weaker, slower, and have weaker vision and hearing. I think being armed is my only edge if I am attacked. Nobody wants to be helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Get her a can of wasp spray backed up by a Ruger 10/22.

IMO, Ruger 10/22 is a good choice for a elderly person, with next to no recoil and plenty of fire power and easy to aim and control.

Wasp strap is effective shot in the face of attacker and most elderly know how to use it already.

As to rather wasp spray may be lethal to BG, if BG is attacking elderly person he needs a good shot of eye blinding chocking bad bug killer in the face from up to 20ft away.

BTW a 10/22 can handle more than 1 BG with ease.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...nse-spray.html

VIP Member
    Kel Tec 32 acp with FMJ. Easy to control and just pull the trigger. I have one and it's never gave a problem...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    There's alot of assumptions/strawmen being made here. I'm not aware of anyone saying that the lady doesn't have a right to have a gun. There is, however, a difference in having a "right" to have a gun and the position that says she shouldn't have a gun because its not in her best interest. If you don't have the proper mindset and skillsets then you shouldn't have a gun. A gun is ideally meant to put matters in your favor and without appropriate manipulation, the thing is more of a liability than an agent of protection. Its the statements about how she's not going to train with it and stick it in a drawer and forget about it that disqualifies her from being an optimum candidate for having a gun, not her age. I don't doubt there are older people that can be capable with a firearm but those persons exhibit more competence than someone that's not going to train and forget about their weapon in a night stand. If the OP really wants to get the lady a gun then he needs to bring her up to speed on where she needs to be mentally and physically. She needs to have appropriate mindset and muscle memory the same as anyone does regardless of age. If she's not willing to learn these things then a gun is not going to be in her best interest irrespective of her age.
    yooperdug and Kilowatt3 like this.

Thank you all for the dialog. That's what I enjoy about this site. Although I may not agree with many, it's interesting to see everyone's perspective.
    My mother in law hasn't brought it up again so maybe it was a passing idea. If she does insist, I will likely take her to the range and see if she if she can handle a 410 with light loads. The idea that she probably shouldn't have a gun has some merit but if we did get her a 410 and some basic training I suspect the shotgun WOULD end up in the back of her closet and never shot. My thoughts are that if it brings her comfort and peace of mind then I don't have a problem with it.
    Thanks again for the thoughts and ideas!
    1959 likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links