Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kmagnuss So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

356 60.24%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.35%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.34%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

225 38.07%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find that hard to believe.

Let's change up the scenario just a tad... say you were a single dad with two young children at home, working a job and BARELY making ends meet. I'm talking within $20 every month of bouncing checks. There is absolutely NO way you could afford a $300 gun, much less a $500 one. But you have a chance to protect your family buy purchasing a Cobra for $50, even though you would have to put it on layaway for 3 months to get... your choices at this point are either carry a Cobra, or use a dull kitchen knife. What's it gonna be?

For me, I would have no hesitation carrying that Cobra.
    It's been a long time since I was in that situation, so perhaps I would carry a low end. That wasn't how the original poll was presented.
    JDE101 likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

2. Remove Ads

Do I carry/own low budget? No. Would I carry one if thats all I had? Yes.
    JDE101, Ogre and mikesMP9c like this.

I carry a pair of tried & true S&Ws daily...
    Also have been known to carry Colt and SigSauer.
    My wife owns a CZ 2075 Rami BD - I insisted on a quality firearm to the point where I bought it for her to ensure that it was of a certain grade (almost said caliber but I just couldn't do the pun.)

My safety and that of my loved ones is worth more than a "budget weapon" allows.

Speaking to the post about living on a shoestring budget... I have friends that carry and I would be able to borrow a weapon of at least Glock quality. My friends take care of each other and are not willing to let friends carry things that compromise their safety. My brother-in-law is currently borrowing a Sig of mine (speaking of which.)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find that hard to believe.

Let's change up the scenario just a tad... say you were a single dad with two young children at home, working a job and BARELY making ends meet. I'm talking within $20 every month of bouncing checks. There is absolutely NO way you could afford a $300 gun, much less a $500 one. But you have a chance to protect your family buy purchasing a Cobra for $50, even though you would have to put it on layaway for 3 months to get... your choices at this point are either carry a Cobra, or use a dull kitchen knife. What's it gonna be?

In your senerio, I think it would be at the point that I would not even be thinking about carrying. The $50 is going towards food and other necessities. Carrying is expensive and making sure that Cobra is going to fire every time will cost even more money. Food, water, and shelter comes first. Priorities friend, priorities.
    Flex, limatunes and Spade115 like this.

VIP Member

This is awesome! By the end of the first page of the thread we are already venturing into class warfare! And I thought my Saturday was going to be boring!
    Okemo likes this.

I understand that people have to carry what they can afford to carry, but in my opinion try to get the best that your budget can allow you to get, do plenty of research so you can know the good and bad on the firearm you are considering on buying. Me personally, my guns are Glock and Sig Sauer and I feel I made a good investment when it comes to reliability in both these firearms.

VIP Member

I would carry a set of nunchukus and a set of shirikens before I would carry a Hi-point or a .25.

No, do not carry either,,,,,, but if it was ALL I had
    I would definitely carry either one,,,,, would not
    go NEKKID.

If it was all I could afford then I'd carry a Hi Point or Cobra with a "mexican string holster"

Oddly enough I've had one guy tell me that most pistols are too expensive to carry and that his Glock is on the threshold of being too nice for a carry gun...

I own four hand guns a s&w m&p 40c that I carry. A taurus judge that's next to the bed. Two hi-points a .45 and 9mm compact both have been flawless from day one, and would carry either hi-point without question if $$$ was an issue.

No to cheap brands. I'd search for a more reliable gun used before buying new discount junk. I'd prefer a good knife over a gun that acts as a paper weight when I need need it.

Dunno, is a Glock 27 low budget? I suppose it is if you're a millionaire.

Would I carry a low-budget gun (low-budget = cheap/poor quality)?

Ans: Only if I considered my life to be low-budget/cheap/poor quality...in other words, NO!
    JDE101 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No. I don't consider my life to be "low budget", so I won't carry a low budget gun. If it is unreliable, I'd rather not carry it! I'd rather have a quality, used gun, in good shape that I have confidence in than a "low budget" new gun that may or may not function when needed. I've always believed in "you get what you pay for" and would wait until I could buy what I wanted rather than accepting a cheap substitute. Just my .02.
    Flex likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Talking You did not list mine but I do carry it on ocassion..

I do carry a Makarov IJ-70HC in 9x18 caliber sometimes. It is one of the most reliable handguns I have. It is a great shooter, and has thirteen rounds, more than enough to do the job! It is in rotation with other ccw guns I use, and I have many..

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links