Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think people are missing the point of the thread. No matter what details you add to the scenario, you have no access to another ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

356 60.24%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.35%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.34%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

225 38.07%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

I think people are missing the point of the thread. No matter what details you add to the scenario, you have no access to another gun, and in months to come you still will not have access to a higher quality weapon.

If at this time you turn your nose up at a cheap gun, what are you thinking? I'd be more confident and competent with a Hi Point than I would be with a knife or other defensive weapons.

So if your choice is no gun at all, EVER, or a Hi Point, you're fooling yourself that you wouldn't choose that cheap pistol.

Do I want to carry a Hi Point, heck no, but I'm also not going to invent variations to the scenario so I can carry the gun I want to.
    kmagnuss and RevolvingMag like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find that hard to believe.

Let's change up the scenario just a tad... say you were a single dad with two young children at home, working a job and BARELY making ends meet. I'm talking within $20 every month of bouncing checks. There is absolutely NO way you could afford a $300 gun, much less a $500 one. But you have a chance to protect your family buy purchasing a Cobra for $50, even though you would have to put it on layaway for 3 months to get... your choices at this point are either carry a Cobra, or use a dull kitchen knife. What's it gonna be?

For me, I would have no hesitation carrying that Cobra.
    This is not what the pole asked. The pole asded "Do you" not "would you". And why do you assume a poor person cannot sharpen a knife?

Not me. If I had to, well, I imagine I would. But I don't have to. In fact, a friend that just got his permit is (wisely) benching the Hi Point and aquiring an XDm.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaDX View Post
    This is not what the pole asked. The pole asded "Do you" not "would you". And why do you assume a poor person cannot sharpen a knife?
    Actually, the thread does ask "would you" ... it specifically says "No but I WOULD carry a high point or cobra if it was all I had".

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I'm talking about manufacturers like Hi point and Cobra, lets say new under $200
    Depends on who made it and more important the quality of it. I've got a Bersa Thunder .380 that I have carried for light risk or deep cover situations, I paid $150 for it. Depending on store you can often find a new one for under $200. I've got a older Taurus .357 that wasn't much over I paid $220 for it new. "course that was back in the late 80's. I used to have a RG in .38, horrid looking gun, painful to shoot. but it was accurate and fired every time. Some companies are better than others, but what really matters is A. Is it reliable B. is it capable of at least good combat accuracy. C. is it in an acceptable caliber for self defense. These are what matter FAR more than what name is on the weapon or how much it cost.
    Trooperc7 likes this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

I'm certain that holster makers who do cater to the HiPoint carriers have made some money doing it.. Kholster used to be a sponsor here and he did.

I'll take my .45 HiPoint against any hand held ninja weapon, any day at 50' or 21.' My C9, not so much... and the C9 is the slightly better carry "brick" (for size only).
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Is your life worth $300? That is my question. Many quality handguns can be found for this price. Leave the pot metal junk guns for the hoodlums.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Does Hi Point make a gun small enough to carry? I thought they did.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Anyone who can afford the time and money to get licensed to carry can afford a real gun.

Even if it's a used one.

Whiners who cry that they can only afford a Cobra, Hi-Point or Jennings, can log onto their iPhone and cry on their Facebook pages, whilst being careful not to get tears in their low-fat, low-carb, hi-estrogen, super-caffeinated, vanilla latte. Oh, and don't forget to tip the barista a 5 spot so they can afford to upgrade their gauges to the size of off-road tires.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Anyone who can afford the time and money to get licensed to carry can afford a real gun.
    this is soooooooooo not true!

Gun license costed me 75 and it's good for 5 years.

My m&p costed me 470 new.

Just because you can afford 75 doesn't automatically mean you can afford 470+

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Personally I do not but find no fault in those that do.

^^^^^^^^^^I am in this camp on this one^^^^^^^^^^

Just as I wouldn't fault anyone who drives a less expensive vehicle than I.
    Snobs are for country clubs, which I got no use for.

I sometimes use this one, and some rich folks should try to follow its message more closely;

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so
    that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."
    Last edited by oneshot; February 11th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I think people are missing the point of the thread. No matter what details you add to the scenario, you have no access to another gun, and in months to come you still will not have access to a higher quality weapon.

If at this time you turn your nose up at a cheap gun, what are you thinking? I'd be more confident and competent with a Hi Point than I would be with a knife or other defensive weapons.

So if your choice is no gun at all, EVER, or a Hi Point, you're fooling yourself that you wouldn't choose that cheap pistol.

Do I want to carry a Hi Point, heck no, but I'm also not going to invent variations to the scenario so I can carry the gun I want to.
    Unrealistic. Will the next comparison that you can either only eat rancid raw pork or nothing at all?

oneshot, notice the quote comes from a guy (deadguy) who just spent over $3000 on a 10mm 1911? Irony...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

You need to define budget. Some folks budget gun is another life saving.
    I own a bunch of different Rugers they do not cost near what some of the fancy named ones but are every bit as good or better.
    Some of the alter worship gun I would not own Glock being one of them the first ones were good but they lived off the name every sense.
    So what it is budget quality or price
    Ghost1958 likes this.

No.

Smith and Wesson Sigma would be for me. Yes trigger sucks but never let me down. Got one for 199.00

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links