Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a Hi Point 45, I would not carry it ( too heavy) but it shoots as good as my more expensive guns. It ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

356 60.24%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.35%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.34%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

225 38.07%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

I own a Hi Point 45, I would not carry it ( too heavy) but it shoots as good as my more expensive guns. It is loaded and rest beside my Judge at my bedside. Yes it is a cheap gun and you can tell just by looking at it, but it works and shoots well. I carry a Glock 36 or my LCP depending on the weather and where I may be going.
    Ogre likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Right now today at CDNN I could buy a:

Sigma for $269
    Taurus .327 mag for $219
    Taurus PT732 pocket pistol for $189
    Walther PK380 for $309
    Keltecs for $209 for a .380 and $229 for a 9mm
    A Gen 2 G22 Glock trade in for $339

All of these are new gun prices except for the Glock trade ins so please don't bring up the tired old "on a budget" argument. If you have $150 for a high point then you can skip a night out and have enough money to get a decent gun.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

No, but I have been considering a .44 snubby from Charter Arms.
    BamaT likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

For a very short period of time (thankfully) I carried a Davis P-32. It was all I had and I was glad to have it. Would have been happier with a High Point or anything that packed a bigger punch.

I personally think there is quite a market for CC holsters for these types. I think the biggest challenge would be making a good holster at a price that is not prohibitive. If someone put out something like Uncle Mikes ambidexterous belt slide but maybe with a Kydex strip at the top to help hold it open and could do it for under $30 would have a winner.
    bunker and phreddy like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If all I could have were the two mentioned, then most definitely, yes. Not my first choice by any means, but a gun in my hand, when and if needed, is worth two on the shelf. That said to remain within the OP's question.... but in reality a great used gun within that price range is available, I would stick with a tried and true Smith and Wesson revolver. Bud's Gunshop has the Model 10 for 270 delivered.

First, I do not currently, nor have I ever owned a Hi-Point. Not that there is anything really wrong with them, but the overall design, or lack of, makes carrying and shooting one, not comfortable, at least to me. The handle is too slick, the slide is too heavy for the plastic frame and the overall ergonomics of the weapon just doesnt feel right.

That being said, I have shot one. A lot. A couple years ago my local little mom and pop gun store had Hi-points on sale for $99. You had 2 choices, 9mm or 45acp. The owner kept a 9mm for "store use". Everytime someone comes in cracking on a Hi-point, he sends them outside with the 9mm and a box of shells. I know because I was one of the guys cracking on them. There has been a couple 1000 rounds run through that Hi-Point, with 0 failures to date. I personally have shot a couple 100 rounds through it TRYING to get it to fail, with no luck.

While its still not on my top 10 gun list of must haves, before everyone keeps on cracking on them, spend a little time behind the trigger of one. I think you will be as surprised as I was. Yes they are big, bulky and top heavy, BUT they are 100% American made, they have a "no questions asked" LIFETIME warranty, and judging from the one I have shot, they go bang everytime the trigger is pulled.

If all I could afford was a Hi-point, I would have no problem using it as my self defense handgun. I would even go as far as saying the 45acp coming from that hi-point will more than likely kill you just as dead as the 45acp coming from my 1911. Of course, this is just my opinion ad you know what they say about opinons.
    Trooperc7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I don't own either of those. But, if it's a matter of buying a $150 gun, and still having a little money to purchase enough ammo to be absolutely certain that it will work every time I need it to vs. buying a $250-$300 gun and having less money for ammo to make myself comfortable with it's reliability and function, my money would have to go to the $150 gun.

My first two handguns were new- my EAA and my Taurus. My Springfield was purchased used (at a heck of a deal), and I've put a couple hundred rounds through it to make sure it's 'safe'. But, if all I could have afforded was a Hi-Point or something like it, I would have snatched that up and started shooting to make sure I could be sure of it.

Being able to defend myself, and my wife is more important to me than having a big name gun- as long as it goes bang, it's better than a pointy stick.
    Ogre likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    A buddy of mine carries a Hi Point that I sold him. It's his first pistol, and he carries it in a cheapie nylon holster.

He's very limited on finances, and you have to start somewhere.
    man let him know you can get credit cards or something....not saying people should live beyond their means but how can you skimp on your life?

I would say a qualified "no." The low budget carry weapon in our home is my wife's Charter Arms .38 Special and it is actually a very tight, well-made rascal that shoots very well. I have two Rugers and a Smith, but would not hesitate to carry her Charter Arms revolver.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    man let him know you can get credit cards or something....not saying people should live beyond their means but how can you skimp on your life?
    If he pulls the trigger and it goes bang each time, then the role of the tool is fulfilled. It's not skimping if it works.

Hey, I recently acquired a second Smith and Wesson 686+ to be a companion to my 4" 686+ that shoots like a dream. Guess what?? My new 686+ has light strikes. Over my second 686+, I would trade it for a high point that went bang each time *IF* I knew that I would need it in a situation tomorrow.

Suggesting someone go into debt so he can get a "better gun" over one that may be entirely reliable makes little sense to me.
    muttsrt and BamaT like this.

^ I guess the extra few hundred $$ would be worth investing to me if i needed to. Especially when it could be paid off in a month or two. People finance a lot more on a home or car and neither of these may be called upon to save ones life. Just my mileage cheers friend!

VIP Member
    I am flabbergasted and flummoxed by some of the responses here.

For many people, a gun is an implement - a mere tool. There is no appreciation for a particular action's provenance, a particular designer's history, or the simple aesthetics of a particular model. The cheaper the better, as long as it works.

Why on earth is that so hard to understand? We don't need to drink our beer from Waterford beer glasses, you know.
    Trooperc7, Ogre and texaskj07 like this.

Would I buy a Hi Point or Cobra if that is all the money I had, certainly. Are there better guns, yep. Can everyone afford them, nope.

I have and carry guns that some people would not carry or possibly even own, Taurus and Keltec. Do they go bang every time I pull the trigger, yep. Do they work just like my Ruger, S&W, Glock, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Liberty or Berreta guns, yep.

Do I care whether folks approve of my gun choices, nope. If I ever have to use one in SD, I am certain the name on the slide or barrel will be the least of the BG's concerns.
    GreyGhost likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    ^ I guess the extra few hundred $$ would be worth investing to me if i needed to. Especially when it could be paid off in a month or two. People finance a lot more on a home or car and neither of these may be called upon to save ones life. Just my mileage cheers friend!
    Yeah, I got it. I'm with you in a way. But looking at it from the point of view of a person that is looking merely for a reliable tool, it's advice that would likely receive a funny look!

People finance a lot more on a home or car and neither of these may be called upon to save ones life...
    Huh??? Got news for you, friend - your car is called upon to save your life every time you get into it. You don't see that???

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links