Do you carry a low budget handgun? - Page 5

Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I'm not addressing the poll question directly (re: Hi-Point or Cobra), but if I HAD to depend on a $50 or $100 handgun, ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

357 60.30%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.35%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.34%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

225 38.01%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

I know I'm not addressing the poll question directly (re: Hi-Point or Cobra), but if I HAD to depend on a $50 or $100 handgun, you can bet it would be a revolver. A $50 used revolver is still gonna go bang 99+% of the time. A $50 semi-auto, not so much...

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Huh??? Got news for you, friend - your car is called upon to save your life every time you get into it. You don't see that???
    Your home too.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Yeah, I got it. I'm with you in a way. But looking at it from the point of view of a person that is looking merely for a reliable tool, it's advice that would likely receive a funny look!
    Friend I understand your point, I truly do. But from a concealed carry stand point I don't think that a high point is a good tool. What I mean is that it's the wrong tool for the job. It's too big and too clunky to carry.

CDNN has a nice little Taurus .327 mag for sale today for $219. That little gun is just about THE perfect tool for concealed carry and it's only about $45 more than a high point. To me it would be money well spent.
    BamaT likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I went with cheaper hand guns to carry, My H& K, Kimbers and Smiths are in the safe. I got a Glock gen 3 on sale and it is less than half the price of my Kimber or P7 M13 . It shoots well and had 'tactical value" I have a Bersa 380 thunder but it shoots like crap and is not that small. so I won't carry it because I don't trust it. I am not saying it is a bad gun, I just won't carry it. if all you can afford thats fine but get to know your weapon. I can afford almost any hand gun I want, but I want a concealable, accurate and tactical gun that costs under $500.00 bucks. (Gen 3 Glocks now on sale $499.00.) If I want to shoot a match or want a "side arm" I will use something else. I certainly don't trust my life to an off brand gun that may mis feed or shoots poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Huh??? Got news for you, friend - your car is called upon to save your life every time you get into it. You don't see that???
    I guess I view it a little differently, but my point was people finance a car that is more than they need because they want it. Thats fine, but it is going into needless debt by some peoples standards. (not mine)

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Your home too.
    again you can rent an apt or a home. Point being people finance a home, cars, and an education, but then preach "needless spending" on charging a decent carry gun? $550 for a Glock or XD isn't outrageous in my opinion. Cheers guys! :-)

I own a Hi Point 45 and it shoots well. I have carried it before a couple of times. I don't carry or use it anymore.

I voted no, but after rereading it, I would amend my vote to be no, but I would carry them if that's all I had. From what I've read on multiple forums, Hi-Points may not be pretty and are fairly heavy, but they also seem to be reliable as well. As such, I would carry one if I couldn't afford something that commanded a higher price.

No. Not one of the brands in the poll. My new S&W 442 No Lock was only $369.00.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I was faced with this very question the first time that I made the decision to carry. I didn't really have the money to buy a decent carry gun so I thought of buying a cheap one because I had the money ($250) right then for it. I looked at everything and shot as many as I could. I finally made the decision that I wanted a Glock. I didn't eat lunch, have coffee in the morning, and I ate dinner very cheaply, I am not afraid to say that I saved all of my aluminum cans and picked up a few extras that were laying around.
    It didn't take but a couple months and I had saved enough for the Glock, a Don Hume IWB holster and a few boxes of ammo from Wally world.
    Times were tough back then and have gotten better since, I have more glocks and have gotten quite a few long guns since then, but, looking back on that time..... Im still glad I saved for the Glock and would do it again.

So, to answer the question in one word....... nope.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Would I carry a Hi point if it was all I had? Yeah I would. Would I buy a $60 or $70 holster to carry a Hi point? No freaking way. Many people call KelTec "Cheap crap", but I really love my PF9. In my mind there is nothing that compares with it as a small carry 9. I will say I would carry a knife or a heavy flashlight or something before I carried a .25
    muttsrt and Ogre like this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    If it's all they can afford then so be it. We all know times are rough for some people. The may want to be able to defend themselves and family but just do not have the money for a $500 gun.

What diffrence does it make if it works properly. I go to the range with a guy who has all kinds of expensive guns, he brings them and we shoot and have a blast. But everytime he brings a Hi-Point he bought used we shoot the heck out of that gun. He is a gun nut and cleans and maintains his guns, and we have not had a problem with the Hi-Point yet not one all summer. Does he carry this gun? No. But my point is it works he knows its reliable, so if you have this information why not carry it. I think it is more important to know you can trust the weapon than worry about the name on it. And I know guys who carry guns just for the name. They will say I have had very little problems with said weapon. My question why carry if there is any problem? Take care of the problem or carry the trusted weapon (even if it is a Hi-Point ) who cares about the name.

So my answer is if the weapon works and it is all I can afford yes.
    muttsrt and Trooperc7 like this.

Sometimes you gotta make some really ugly compromises. So my vote is no, but I would carry a Hi-Point or Cobra if it was all I had.

There are plenty of other guns that you can buy used for around the same money but since they weren't listed I won't mention them.
    Question Everything!

I would say yes, but with a qualification remark.

My qualification memark is: Have you shot it enough to really feel it would work if needed?

My very first 2" 38 was a Charter Arms Undercover, back in 1970. It was purchased (very cheap) from a friend,, who was former sheriff who carried it as a backup before he retired. I shot that gun at the range four weekends, a box of target loads at a session. It went bang every time, and in the process I became sure it would do so if I needed it. I also could hit well with it. It fit my hands well. I carried it for a year then went to a PPK for better concealibility. Yes, its fit an finish is not what one would expect on a smith, colt or ruger, but who cares for a defense weapon? The word I would use is: Functional.
    I would carry one, or a taurus (revolver, thank you), or something simular. I would not carry what we considered to be "Saturday Night Specials" back then : cheap south american made crap, like an RG, etc.

I carry a fairly inexpensive gun. I prefer a gun that can stop an offender quickly so I bought a Witness Compact .40, due to my small frame. It was not too expensive but I am finding I cannot conceal it as well as a full size 1911, which is thinner but more expensive.

I just read that if you use your gun in a defensive situation, the police will confiscate the gun and you may not get it back (or not get it back for a long time). In that case, if that case should ever arise, it would be good to carry a fairly inexpensive gun.

I am torn between carrying an inexpensive gun verses what I prefer to carry.
    It is always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and you can take that to the bank. Authur Unknown

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links