Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can understand the argument from folks who have one as a HD pistol and have shot theirs enough to trust it. I just don't ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
531. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

317 59.70%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.51%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.38%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

204 38.42%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

VIP Member
    I can understand the argument from folks who have one as a HD pistol and have shot theirs enough to trust it. I just don't like people making a High point out to be something it is not. It IS NOT a good concealed carry "tool". They are big, clunky and have all sorts of sharp angles on them.

You can buy a nice snubby for $220 today at CDNN. I hope others can see the point I'm trying to make, that there is a better tool for the CCW job out there for about the same amount of money.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Atctimmy,
    I agree that there are some very good values out there at places like CDNN. But I think the issue for some is that on top of the CDNN price you are going to have your shipping and whatever fee you local FFL is going to charge you. I know some shops that charge outrageous transfer fees if you don't buy it from them. If they can't get their pound of flesh on the product they will take it on the processing. If a shop like that is the only deal in town CDNN might not be a viable option for everyone.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The question that was asked was if you would carry a Cobra or a Hi-Point if thats all you had. It wasnt "What would you buy to carry if you only had $200 to spend?". Obviously, there are better options than the 2 listed, but thats not the topic of the thread.

I voted "no" for this poll and then reflected upon the wretched Kel Tec P3AT that I occasionally hold my nose and carry when I can't contrive to hide something larger. I really don't care for the cartridge nor the pistol and would hate to be stuck having to use it for personal defense.

Don't know about this thread limiting one to selecting only a Cobra or a Hi-Point but it's far too easy to find good used, if unsightly looking examples of quality handguns for the purpose of personal self defense so that no knowledgeable person would ever be required to limit himself to garbage guns.

Here's a couple of examples that would beat out any cheap revolver or semi-auto for dependability and long-term service even if they won't win any beauty contests.

The revolver at the top of this pair of older Colt Police Positive Specials was picked up at the Dallas Market Hall gun show a couple of years ago for $60. Didn't need a thing except a cleaning and lubing to be an accurate and reliable example of a .38 Special chambered revolver. Just looks neglected and worn. I'd rather depend on it for self-defense than any brand new "cheap-jon" handgun. Think of the Police Positive Special as a Detective Special with a 4-inch barrel. Still quite a compact and effective handgun.

Picked this Smith & Wesson Model 10 up as an additional spare .38 Special revolver just for general principles (one can never have enough spares on hand). It suffered from someone's neglect to it's external surfaces so has an ugly side plate and beat up stocks. Bore and mechanics are perfect and it probably hasn't even had very many rounds fired through it since it left the factory in 1974. A pawn shop find from a couple of years ago for $150.

A careful alternate soaking in Kroil with gentle cleaning with copper brushes even diminished the ugly rusty appearance of the side plate.

I could live with ugly before I'd put up with cheap.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Nope.

Even if it all burnt to the ground tomorrow and every gun we own were melted into a pile of plastic and steel and somehow our insurance wouldn't replace them and my husband lost his job, I still wouldn't get a low-end gun.

First, I'd have more to worry about than my next gun purchase.

Second, when I started to get on my feet again I would save up for an extra few months and probably get a Glock or Springfield or something.

Even if I were being stalked and felt I needed a gun tomorrow I'd ask a family member for a loan and get something worth keeping for life.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Hell No.

Low budget choices are better used for things for which your life might never depend on..... like a blender or something. Better wait and get a gun that works.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muttsrt View Post
    The question that was asked was if you would carry a Cobra or a Hi-Point if thats all you had. It wasnt "What would you buy to carry if you only had $200 to spend?". Obviously, there are better options than the 2 listed, but thats not the topic of the thread.
    It is the topic of this thread when the same tired old "on a budget" argument comes up. I am simply debunking that argument. There are plenty of good guns out there if you are willing to look.

So the answer to the OP's question is an obvious no.

Now I will say that I am not opposed to someone keeping a high point in their nightstand for HD use as long as they have used it enough to know that it can be trusted.

VIP Member
    budget is a relative term. I say this because I would consider Glock,XD, and M&P's to be budget firearms. Does that mean they are poor quality? Hell no! You can't buy better reliability.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Given the choice between the 2. I would carry a hi-point. I wouldn't like it, but it beats a sharp stick. I have actually put a few mags through a Hi Point and I will say it was reasonably accurate and operated with zero malfunctions. It was also huge, heavy, ugly as sin and ugly some more. If it failed you could certainly use it as a bludgeon.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Given the choice between the 2. I would carry a hi-point. I wouldn't like it, but it beats a sharp stick. I have actually put a few mags through a Hi Point and I will say it was reasonably accurate and operated with zero malfunctions. It was also huge, heavy, ugly as sin and ugly some more. If it failed you could certainly use it as a bludgeon.
    ...You stole my bit about he stick...

But, that is one of my only reasons for not hating Hi-Points- if you run out of ammo, smack 'em with it; they'll at least get a good concussion. It's not much different than hitting someone with a Humvee.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Now I will say that I am not opposed to someone keeping a high point in their nightstand for HD use as long as they have used it enough to know that it can be trusted.
    What is the difference in relying on a gun for home defense or self defense outside the home? If it is good enough for one, then it should be good enough for another. I don't quite follow that line of thinking.

If the sheer size and weight of the gun is a deciding factor, then we should all carry NAA 22 mags or something really, really small.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    when I started to get on my feet again I would save up for an extra few months and probably get a Glock or Springfield or something.
    I know exactly how you feel as I have actually done this.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What is the difference in relying on a gun for home defense or self defense outside the home? If it is good enough for one, then it should be good enough for another. I don't quite follow that line of thinking.

If the sheer size and weight of the gun is a deciding factor, then we should all carry NAA 22 mags or something really, really small.
    I disagree. I think there are plenty of fantastic guns out there that work really well for CCW. They are reliable AND concealable.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It is the topic of this thread when the same tired old "on a budget" argument comes up. I am simply debunking that argument. There are plenty of good guns out there if you are willing to look.

So the answer to the OP's question is an obvious no.

I understand where you are coming from. You obviously have been around here for a while. For the newer folks, like myself, this is the first "budget" thread, some of us have seen or been a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find that hard to believe.

Let's change up the scenario just a tad... say you were a single dad with two young children at home, working a job and BARELY making ends meet. I'm talking within $20 every month of bouncing checks. There is absolutely NO way you could afford a $300 gun, much less a $500 one. But you have a chance to protect your family buy purchasing a Cobra for $50, even though you would have to put it on layaway for 3 months to get... your choices at this point are either carry a Cobra, or use a dull kitchen knife. What's it gonna be?

For me, I would have no hesitation carrying that Cobra.
    What brand of dull kitchen knife?
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links