Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rockymtnnut Have you ever saw a high point pass a 2000 round challenge? I had put about 3k through mine before I ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

356 60.24%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.35%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.34%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

225 38.07%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnnut
    Have you ever saw a high point pass a 2000 round challenge?
    I had put about 3k through mine before I got rid of it
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nope.

TCT
    I carry XD's. The lowest costing firearms in my safe of firearm goodness but certainly not considered low budget. So yes yet no.

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    You have obviously never struggled yourself if you have this fantasy in your head that every struggling young person has an Xbox that they can sell.
    Most young people that I see struggling don't seem to struggle to get their party supplies. Or they're too proud to work for a living.

I'm interested where you got your crystal ball with which you can 'obviously' see my struggle-less life.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

No way. The difference between low cost (or cheap) and reasonable cost is a small price to pay for safety and peace of mind. My Ruger SR9c was under $400 but it functions great, handles all ammo, and is very accurate. I score it reasonable and trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Most young people that I see struggling don't seem to struggle to get their party supplies. Or they're too proud to work for a living.

I'm interested where you got your crystal ball with which you can 'obviously' see my struggle-less life.
    I said that based on the idea you seem to have that struggling people can just sell their Xbox.

If someone is truely struggling, they wont have an Xbox to sell. And if someone blows all their money on party supplies, then they deserve their "misfortune".

When I say struggling, I'm referring to honest hard working people who are making every effort to.make ends meet
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

How many of you have ever been shot at? I'm willing to bet maybe a few that have been in the military/ LEO's. I have, and I would rather have any gun than no gun. Yes, that means a hi point or cobra. No, I do not carry them, nor do I want to. However, I do not find fault for people that do. My first handgun was when I turned 21. It was a Ruger P345, brand new. Paid $369 out the door. Never had a hiccup with over 2000 rounds later. That is "budget" level for many but I would take that the sandbox and to the streets anyday over the Beretta m9. I understand wanting high quality, it should be desired, but high quality does not always mean big name or high dollar.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    kmagnuss and Trooperc7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find that hard to believe.

Let's change up the scenario just a tad... say you were a single dad with two young children at home, working a job and BARELY making ends meet. I'm talking within $20 every month of bouncing checks. There is absolutely NO way you could afford a $300 gun, much less a $500 one. But you have a chance to protect your family buy purchasing a Cobra for $50, even though you would have to put it on layaway for 3 months to get... your choices at this point are either carry a Cobra, or use a dull kitchen knife. What's it gonna be?

For me, I would have no hesitation carrying that Cobra.
    In this hypothetical situation I would think damn near everyone would do the Cobra route. But the question is would "you", and that example is not me. If the question was "if you were someone with no disposable income whatsoever and literally had no other choice...." then I would most certainly choose HiPoint, certainly better to be cheaply armed than not at all (IMO).

If it suddenly came to that the only gun I had was a Hi-point, I would immediately head to the store to remedy the situation, because I inferred from the wording that my current situation is pertinent to the question.

Mike

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I think if you did your due dilligence and research you could find a good reliable pistol/ revolver for around $300
    New or used.
    OP didn't mention a brand.

185$ air jordans 150$ high point. Then they are good to go. At least that's the scenario that young gentleman next to me had going on. "Hey man they have a lifetime warranty ". I wonderd who was going to honor the warranty for his life ?? let's face it people are cheap .

I carry a pistol that cost me $260 out the door with 3 mags. Reliable and haven't had an issue with it yet. Just don't skimp on defensive ammo and make sure your D ammo feeds well.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

While it may be hypothetical this is no realistic scenario anyway for I will have another choice besides the two brands mentioned in the poll. Those two brands are for someone else to own. There are a number of discerning folks here on the Forum for whom "...if that's all I had." will never happen.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    If I had a nickle for every 'poor' person walking around with a $400 'smart phone' in their pocket, I'd buy myself a smart phone too - instead of this cheap little phone that I carry that only makes phone calls.

It's all about priorities.
    bmcgilvray, Brady and atctimmy like this.

Maybe they could give guns away with a 2 year contract and low monthly payments:D
    Back on topic, I would carry what I could afford.
    Sent from my Evo 4G

I respect everyones opinion here and hope that you all will respect mine. If I answear the question that was asked without adding any other options or variables then my answear would be hell ya I would carry a HiPoint or Cobra if they where my only options. If God forbid I ever have to call on a tool like a firearm to defend myself or my family anything is better than nothing. Heck if the thing doesn't go bang when ya pull the trigger at least you have a big old heavy club to swing at the threat lol. I happen to be more blessed than some and have other options to defend myself with now but there was a time that I owned a HiPoint 9mm. I do not have it anymore but it was what I could afford for a home defense pistol many years ago.....Yes it was junk but it was mine and thankfully I never needed to use it.
    kmagnuss likes this.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links