Do you carry a low budget handgun?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a low budget handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a surprisingly large request for holsters for what most would call low-budget handguns. It makes me think that there are more of them ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a hi point or cobra?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

356 60.24%
  • Yes, I carry a Hi Point

8 1.35%
  • Yes, I carry a Cobra

2 0.34%
  • No, but I would carry a Hi-point or Cobra if I thats all I had

225 38.07%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Do you carry a low budget handgun?

Sponsor

Do you carry a low budget handgun?

I've had a surprisingly large request for holsters for what most would call low-budget handguns. It makes me think that there are more of them out there than I thought! I'm curious, do you or would you carry a low budget handgun if you had financial limitations?

I understand that a lot of people don't trust these types of guns, but lets try to make this thread a no judgement zone. (we all have opinions on what gun to carry, but its really an individual decision that balances comfort, cost, and reliability).

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

No.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

negative, cousin bought a hi-point, I cant believe how massive that thing is honestly.

Yes and no

I generally refer to Taurus as a low budget manufacturer. Yet the spectrum blue total titanium 44spl snub I carry is hardly cheap.

Or are you asking about putting a lorcin or highpoint in fine leather? AS to kel tec they make too many unique firearms nobody else does too well with too good a warranty to classify as a true sat night special in my opinion.

posted via tapatalk using android.
    GoldwingElf likes this.

You do what you have to do. I don't carry a cheap gun, but if I didn't have any other choice it would be better than nothing. The purists that say you aren't armed unless you carry a custom $4000 1911 in a custom made holster don't seem to understand that many people have limitations and are doing the best they can. I don't judge anyone.

Define "budget"

After all a glock 17 can be had for well under $450 used and can be argued to be the equal to any other combat/defense handgun at ANY price.

posted via tapatalk using android.

If that's all I had, and had a back up blade. Maybe... Depends on how many rounds I had through it... Idk... For me the reputation of a manufacturer is piece of mind. My hk is carried by law LEOs and gov agencies all over the world. If its good enough of them it's good enough for me... Bottom line: Do you trust it with your life? ... It's like the breaks on your truck. U don't use them all the time but when u need them to work, u REALLY need them to work!!!!!
    Taurahe and BigShrek like this.

Curious what low budget is. I personally thought what I paid for my XDM was cheap, but I wouldn't classify it as low budget. When you say low budget is it only those 2 gunmakers?

Sponsor
    I'm talking about manufacturers like Hi point and Cobra, lets say new under $200

I currently own 4 handguns, all were relatively inexpensive, but I either had prior experience with one brand (my Ruger P95) or I researched the gun before buying it. I bought a Bersa 380 DTCT for my wife, it's been a good gun. My other two are Kel Tecs, a PF9 and a P32, both of which I have had no problems, I trust and carry both of them regularly.
    I have, over the years, owned a S&W M66, S&W M38, Llama 380 (ammo sensetive, dropped mags often), Colt Det Spl, Colt Trooper, Ruger P85, Ruger .22 MKII Bull Barrell, (2) Ruger 10-22's , Ruger Mini 14, Beretta 950 .25acp. The only one I had problems with was the Llama 380, which I sold and replaced with the S&W M38. I have no need for high $$$ guns...just reliable ones!

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I'm talking about manufacturers like Hi point and Cobra, lets say new under $200
    He.. uh, heck no ......... Used S&W Model 64's can be had for $200
    CIBMike likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A buddy of mine carries a Hi Point that I sold him. It's his first pistol, and he carries it in a cheapie nylon holster.

He's very limited on finances, and you have to start somewhere.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Personally I do not but find no fault in those that do.
    CIBMike and BamaT like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

My vote accidentally changed from NO to Hi Point....so you might want to adjust for that.

I don't carry low budget but are those the only two choices??
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

So all you guys that said "no" would actually rather carry nothing than a High Point or Cobra? I truly find that hard to believe.

Let's change up the scenario just a tad... say you were a single dad with two young children at home, working a job and BARELY making ends meet. I'm talking within $20 every month of bouncing checks. There is absolutely NO way you could afford a $300 gun, much less a $500 one. But you have a chance to protect your family buy purchasing a Cobra for $50, even though you would have to put it on layaway for 3 months to get... your choices at this point are either carry a Cobra, or use a dull kitchen knife. What's it gonna be?

For me, I would have no hesitation carrying that Cobra.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Links