Help Me Pick!! - Page 2

Help Me Pick!!

This is a discussion on Help Me Pick!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You got me watering at the mouth. That Springfield Emp sure would be a pretty addition to any family....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Help Me Pick!!

You got me watering at the mouth. That Springfield Emp sure would be a pretty addition to any family.

Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    You got me watering at the mouth. That Springfield Emp sure would be a pretty addition to any family.
    Yes I know ... I'm just stuck on buy an EMP ... Or buy two of the others on my list and wait on the EMP. Decisions ....

The guys here beat me to what I'd recomend

As mentioned a 1911 would be a nice addition and every collection should have at least 1. The Glock 26 is my prefered carry gun. A 22 pistol is a must have as well and cheap to shoot.

You have a nice collection of carry pieces already. But if you can swing it. I'd get a Glock 26 for carry and a good .22 for range fun. Then start saving up for a 1911.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get, and let us know what you decide on.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

For the love of god don't get a freaking glock. The m&p is way better in my opinion and just as reliable if not more (Gen 4).
    I have a sr1911 and LOVE it a lot too. I would go with a 1911 if you have a carry piece already.

Quote Originally Posted by macdsc View Post
    Hey guys

I have some "Gun Fund" money saved up and I'm trying to decide what I should pick up next. My current pistol "collection" consists of the following ... Springfield XD .40 cal, Ruger LCR .38+p, Ruger LCP .380 and Sig P238 .380.

Here's what I have on my "want" list:
    -Springfield EMP 9mm
    -Glock G26 9mm
    -Smith 642 .38
    -Ruger SP101 .357
    -Ruger SR1911

I have priced everything at a few local shops (one guy treats me fantastic!) ... But I'm just not sure what to knock off my list first LOL ... I really love the Springfield EMP, but for the price I can almost pick up the 642 and a g26.

One local shop is having a Ruger sale this weekend, but the SR1911 is still there normal price of $688

I am trying to hold off until the Pa Gun Collectors Show to see if there are any steals there, but in general I need some opinions on what you guys would do.

Thanks!
    Michael
    I contend that every collection should include at least one stainless magnum revolver. So my opinion is SP101 .357 stainless!

Mike

Just get a man's gun.........G29sf!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding, but it is a truly amazing weapon!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macdsc View Post
    Hey guys

I have some "Gun Fund" money saved up and I'm trying to decide what I should pick up next. My current pistol "collection" consists of the following ... Springfield XD .40 cal, Ruger LCR .38+p, Ruger LCP .380 and Sig P238 .380.

Here's what I have on my "want" list:
    -Springfield EMP 9mm
    -Glock G26 9mm
    -Smith 642 .38
    -Ruger SP101 .357
    -Ruger SR1911

I have priced everything at a few local shops (one guy treats me fantastic!) ... But I'm just not sure what to knock off my list first LOL ... I really love the Springfield EMP, but for the price I can almost pick up the 642 and a g26.

One local shop is having a Ruger sale this weekend, but the SR1911 is still there normal price of $688

I am trying to hold off until the Pa Gun Collectors Show to see if there are any steals there, but in general I need some opinions on what you guys would do.

Thanks!
    Michael
    First, I might be able to save you some money, depending on your local market.

If you want to stretch your dollars, the I suggest you *NOT* buy a Smith 642 new. Go out on a local gun board in your state where people sell firearms. The SW 642 is a popular number, and they are often up for sale in LNIB condition (e.g., "25 rounds fired through this baby, and it's sat in my safe, so it's time to sell it..."). In my neck of the woods you can get these face to face for about 320 - 350, and no sales tax. You'll end up saving up to 80 bucks for an almost brand new snubbie. JUST Make sure you know how to check out a used revolver - it's easy (google "how to check out a revolver").

That being said, it appears you don't have a stainless revolver in your line up. So, if I were spending your money, I'd get the SP101.

EMP. If my love of SIGs didn't keep me broke, I'd have one by now.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Get the SP101 and the SR1911.

You can have your first stainless revolver and 1911.
    Best advice you've gotten here so far!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    First, I might be able to save you some money, depending on your local market.

If you want to stretch your dollars, the I suggest you *NOT* buy a Smith 642 new. Go out on a local gun board in your state where people sell firearms. The SW 642 is a popular number, and they are often up for sale in LNIB condition (e.g., "25 rounds fired through this baby, and it's sat in my safe, so it's time to sell it..."). In my neck of the woods you can get these face to face for about 320 - 350, and no sales tax. You'll end up saving up to 80 bucks for an almost brand new snubbie. JUST Make sure you know how to check out a used revolver - it's easy (google "how to check out a revolver").

That being said, it appears you don't have a stainless revolver in your line up. So, if I were spending your money, I'd get the SP101.
    Used is definitely an option ... Another reason I'd like to hold off for the PA Gun Collectors show to see if I could land a deal on any of these guns. I can get a new 642 out the door at the lgs for $415

You have the small end of the handgun range covered nicely. Two .380s, a snub .38, and a serious caliber service pistol. I think your collection needs filling out on either side - i.e., a .22 trainer/plinker, and a full-sized revolver or autoloader. At the big end, I'd suggest something in the S&W K or L frame, like a Model 13 or a 686, and a full-sized 1911 in the classic .45 ACP. At the small end, I heartily second the idea of a Ruger .22 auto (partial to the Mark II myself), and the SR22 looks interesting for its DA and operational resemblance to a defensive pistol.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Get the glock

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    A Springfield EMP 9mm, Glock G26 9mm, Smith 642 .38, Ruger SP101 .357, or a Ruger SR1911 < pick just one

Ummmm ... get the Ruger SP101 because you don't have a 357mag, no wait you don't have anything in 9mm?? So get the Glock G26 everyone should have at least one 9mm and also one Block too, wait on second ... "no change that this is the third" ... thought get the Ruger SR1911 so you can throw 45acp ashtrays at stuff.

No get the 357mag it will shoot 38's too, ahhh ... but ya know a 9mm would be a good thing to have, but then you should have at least one 45acp in your stable too.

Oh crap just get all three I'm getting a headache trying to decide how to spend your money

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    If you have the funds to do so, go on and get the EMP while you have the money. Get the expensive one out of the way. Later down the road, you may not have the money to get the more expensive gun but may have the money to get the ones that aren't as expensive. The EMP is a real nice shooter and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links