Help Me Pick!!

This is a discussion on Help Me Pick!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 26....its the only original design in your list. All the rest are just copies of something else....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Help Me Pick!!

Glock 26....its the only original design in your list. All the rest are just copies of something else.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

Everybody needs a 1911. I think you have more than enough "little" guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    Everybody needs a 1911. I think you have more than enough "little" guns.
    +1 Your collection is sorely lacking a 1911 (as is mine). Follow that up with the SP101.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I read all the posts and don't see the amount you are able or willing to spend here. The EMP can be had for ~$1000 so I assume this is your budget. If so, here are my thoughts.

SR1911, half a case of range ammo and a couple hundred SD rounds. Shoot a few hundred ball rounds and at least 100 SD rounds and see if you feel comfortable with the Ruger in regards to reliability. If so, scrounge up some funds for a nice leather home for it. By the way, if you can get one for <$700 locally you probably should.

OR (I know this isn't in your list but open mindedness is good) look around for a used but cared for Dan Wesson Valor, CBOB, VBOB,CCO, or even a new Heritage. It may take another hundred or two but I do believe one of these would make your heart thump a bit faster.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

If you've got the bucks, get the EMP. If not the G26 gets the nod. Those 2 are among the best in my opinion. You've got the pocket and snubby thing covered quite well already.
    Question Everything!

Can't make any suggestions about your next move. This is because I don't see any particular logic to your current lineup. If you're acquiring various sizes and calibers, then pretty much anything would satisfactorily add to the collection.

Instead, I'd look to simplify and organize. Go full-size and compact with .38/.357, and do the same with 9mm or .40 (or whatever calibers you want). Keep your calibers and manuals of arms roughly compatible.
    RugerMike likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Sorry guys and gals but im not a glock guy. I have the xdsc and love it. But I see you already have an xd. But on your list id go for the g26 and the 642. More guns the merrier. Just my 2 pennys worth.

SR 1911 would be my choice followed by the EMP.

357!!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

VIP Member
    Of the guns listed, I'd go with the SP101.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As far as good getting a new gun I would say a 22 target shooter. Wife has a tricked out Beretta Neos and son and I have Mark III Hunters. I do have a question. First, I am an avid gun collector. I collect antiques/mil weapons which aren't for defense. Just like art. I am just curious to why folks buy more than say 4 pistols like you have and searching for more. For SD and HD we have the guns of choice and stock up on ammo. But then again I waste a lot of money on my Star Trek memorabilia so who am to say anythingLOL

Anything except Glock.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I read all the posts and don't see the amount you are able or willing to spend here. The EMP can be had for ~$1000 so I assume this is your budget. If so, here are my thoughts.

SR1911, half a case of range ammo and a couple hundred SD rounds. Shoot a few hundred ball rounds and at least 100 SD rounds and see if you feel comfortable with the Ruger in regards to reliability. If so, scrounge up some funds for a nice leather home for it. By the way, if you can get one for <$700 locally you probably should.

OR (I know this isn't in your list but open mindedness is good) look around for a used but cared for Dan Wesson Valor, CBOB, VBOB,CCO, or even a new Heritage. It may take another hundred or two but I do believe one of these would make your heart thump a bit faster.
    I have around $1300-$1500 to spend.

Man you guys all have great advice here ... But I think it's all making my head spin faster LOL
    Keep them coming!!

VIP Member
    If you have your heart eventually set on the 1911, get that, AND get a .22 pistol, (apprx. $300) for inexpensive plinking/fun/teaching newbies , and that would leave around $400-450 for another gun.

Or get a less expensive 1911;
    Rock Island 3.5 in barrel $400 or less
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=273459367

Remington R1; $600 or less,
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=273472055

American Classic (very good for the money), $500 or less,
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=273475331

Which would give you more money to put to the other pistols.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I can only speak for the SP101. I really think it would be a purchase you'd never regret. You have a lot of options listed here though, I don't think it'll be an easy decision for you. Keep us posted on the new addition!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links