Help Me Pick!!

This is a discussion on Help Me Pick!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I have some "Gun Fund" money saved up and I'm trying to decide what I should pick up next. My current pistol "collection" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Help Me Pick!!

Help Me Pick!!

Hey guys

I have some "Gun Fund" money saved up and I'm trying to decide what I should pick up next. My current pistol "collection" consists of the following ... Springfield XD .40 cal, Ruger LCR .38+p, Ruger LCP .380 and Sig P238 .380.

Here's what I have on my "want" list:
    -Springfield EMP 9mm
    -Glock G26 9mm
    -Smith 642 .38
    -Ruger SP101 .357
    -Ruger SR1911

I have priced everything at a few local shops (one guy treats me fantastic!) ... But I'm just not sure what to knock off my list first LOL ... I really love the Springfield EMP, but for the price I can almost pick up the 642 and a g26.

One local shop is having a Ruger sale this weekend, but the SR1911 is still there normal price of $688

I am trying to hold off until the Pa Gun Collectors Show to see if there are any steals there, but in general I need some opinions on what you guys would do.

Thanks!
    Michael

2. Remove Ads

G26! You'll love it.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

As a native Pa. guy, I would say the G26--- which is on my side as we "speak"-- is the one you will never regret having in your collection. GO FOR IT!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Get the SR1911...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Get out the "long range view" and get them all!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

9mm, because you don't have one.

Next choice is between carry, range, or home defense. It seems like you have a few small carry guns, and the XD 40 would make a fine HD weapon (I assume). So, how about a 9mm range gun? Cheap(er) ammo and fun to shoot. Would also serve very well as a home defense weapon.

Go full size for sight radius, and pack on the weight for that nice-to-hold solid chunk of metal feel, with the benefit of recoil reduction. If you're really into Glocks you could get the G17 but if you're looking for something full-metal (which I personally think makes a better range gun) then perhaps a Sig P226, CZ75 or Beretta 92. I'm no expert but I know there are a lot of options in that big gun category.

I know they're not on your list but thought I'd put that perspective out there anyway.

Another possible option is a 22. Everyone needs a 22. :) 500 rounds for $20, you can shoot it all day and the non-gun friends and family can use it for friendly and cheap introduction into the world of guns. AND I personally feel it's a good training gun. Ruger has good models which are awful to take apart but look pretty cool and are absolute tanks. Mark III and 22/45 Mark III. I got the 22/45 and I love it, but if I chose again I'd get the all stainless regular Mark III instead.
    yooperdug likes this.

Get the SP101 and the SR1911.

You can have your first stainless revolver and 1911.
    Kilowatt3 and DanielC like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I would get the Glock 26 followed by the SR1911 as my next purchase.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

SR1911... craps man. You have enough little guns, and enough polymer. Get a gun that makes your heart thump when you hold it (not only because it's a piece of art, but because it's so damn heavy)... get the SR1911
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Can you possibly fund both the G26 and the SP101? I admit to being a Ruger & Springfield fan but I think everyone should have a G26, (or G27) an SP101 and perhaps a GP100.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Ruger SR1911 ,,,, would be my pick ,,,, but
    they can be hard to find.

As far as .22s go, I do not own a .22 pistol but I do have a Remington Model 541-T in my rifle collection. I'm trying to stick with something I can carry (with the exception of the Ruger SR1911 ... I just want a full size 1911 ... LOL).

Yes I would/should be able to purchase two guns unless I go with the Springfield EMP. I have between $1200 and $1500 to work with.

The one local shop here has 5 SR1911s in stock and are getting 5 more tomorrow so if I decide to go that route availability shouldn't be an issue. Price at that shop out the door for the SR1911 is $735 from that shop.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!!! I appreciate it!!

VIP Member
    The Glock 26 is next on my "buy" list, and I even have a GSSF discount coupon to help ease the pain.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

You can carry a full size 1911 without a problem. You'd be surprised. I'd venture to guess 10's of thousands of people do it every day. I've been known to do it on occasion also.
    yooperdug and muttsrt like this.

Glock-26 camp here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links