Funny wearing inside Glock 19 Gen4

This is a discussion on Funny wearing inside Glock 19 Gen4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock Wear.jpg Has anybody else noticed this kind of wear on their Gen4 Glock? I am pretty sure it is being caused by the thicker ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By High Altitude
  • 1 Post By High Altitude

Thread: Funny wearing inside Glock 19 Gen4

Funny wearing inside Glock 19 Gen4

Glock Wear.jpg

Has anybody else noticed this kind of wear on their Gen4 Glock? I am pretty sure it is being caused by the thicker recoil spring assembly rubbing on the side of the frame. Should I be concerned?
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I would just monitor it. I wouldn't be concerned.

Its probably scraped from putting the slide on more than anything.

My Gen4 19 with 200 rounds has a very faint scratch there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Glock Wear.jpg

Has anybody else noticed this kind of wear on their Gen4 Glock? I am pretty sure it is being caused by the thicker recoil spring assembly rubbing on the side of the frame. Should I be concerned?
    Toorop likes this.

few hundred rounds through my gen 4 19 and i don't see that. just make sure the RSA is seated before putting the slide back on. I personally wouldn't worry, glock will fix it if it became an issue. :D

I've looked and mine is very similar.... One side only, same as yours. I've probably got 800-1000 rounds through mine

I wonder if it is just a Gen4 problem. The increased thickness of the RSA as well as the little bump on the Gen4 trigger bar (on the part that deactivates the firing pin safety) seem to be the causes of the wearing. That bump is the reason why the the wear pattern is only on one side. I'm at about 1600 rounds through my G19 and I only have a faint scratch. I'm just curious to see what 50,000 rounds will do
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

I looked at my gen4 19 again. I believe the scratching is happening when you take the slide off during a field strip. The recoil spring is no longer in the slot on the barrel lug so it scrapes the side of the frame when taking the slide off.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    I looked at my gen4 19 again. I believe the scratching is happening when you take the slide off during a field strip. The recoil spring is no longer in the slot on the barrel lug so it scrapes the side of the frame when taking the slide off.
    The RSA gets unseated when you disassemble all glocks. I think it's the side of the outermost spring of the RSA scraping during recoil, as well as what you mentioned. I wish I had a Gen3 to compare it to

Anytime the spring rubs on something it shouldnt rub on you are risking future problems . yes I would be concerned about it the spring is not supposed to rub on anything other than a guide rod.

I'm going to call Glock about it. The wear doesn't occur at a point that is under any significant stress, but I'd like to see what they recommend. I'll post back here with what they say

The support guy at Glock said that this is totally normal. Only the polymer is being scraped, and supposedly there is metal under there that won't ever get scraped. It sucks to see my gun getting scraped, but I bought a glock because I am not particularly concerned with aesthetic appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    The support guy at Glock said that this is totally normal. Only the polymer is being scraped, and supposedly there is metal under there that won't ever get scraped. It sucks to see my gun getting scraped, but I bought a glock because I am not particularly concerned with aesthetic appeal.
    He is definetly correct. On some new glocks the polymer in that area is very thin, you don't get 100% coverage and you can see portions of the metal chassis itself.

Glocks are like hammers. As long as you can still hammer in a nail with it, nothing else really matters.
    Walden likes this.

My Gen 4 23 does not have that wear and I have a couple thousand rounds thru it.

I was at a gun shop today and took a look at a brand new G22 Gen4, and even it had a few scratches. I'm totally convinced now that there's nothing to worry about here

wear marks

Hello I have a g17 with the same marks . I had about 2000 rounds which the last 1000 it got worst. I had plassic shavings inside my frame, so I called Glock and they ask me to e mail them pics so I did and they called me the next day telling me to send in the Gun that they are replacing it with a new Gun. I got a new g19 with with light marks but not showing any metal.

Links