M&P 9C trigger

This is a discussion on M&P 9C trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who either own or have shot the M&P 9C what are your opinions on the stock trigger? I am considering buying this gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: M&P 9C trigger

M&P 9C trigger

For those who either own or have shot the M&P 9C what are your opinions on the stock trigger? I am considering buying this gun and didn't want to modify it at all and just wanted input on how the stock trigger with its hinge is holding up. Thanks
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have the M&P 9 full size and like the trigger the way it is.
    stevez and johnbergsing like this.

I have one and it's stock, The trigger is great after a K or 2 round & dry fire. Though you can get a Apex kit, They are good, As far as hinged triger it's the same as the Sgma & SD as far as I could tell ; )
    H/D
    Last edited by hogdaddy; February 12th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

sgb
    The trigger improves with use but I'd highly recommend installing at least the apex RAM ($20 drop in part that drastically improves the feel of the triggers reset)
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I see no reason to mess with the stock trigger. My 9c is my only carry gun at the moment and I can put together very tight groups with it just as it is and really like it. I wouldn't mess with it and highly recommend it as a carry gun. If you want a gun you have to fiddle with, buy a 1911.

Mine is stock, and feels ok to me. Not great but not terrible. This is just my opinion, but my carry guns don't get mods, apart from sights.

I also use the stock trigger setup. I actually like it, if you need/want a more noticeable reset you can get the ram kit. I don't feel the need for it though.
    stevez likes this.

I have the stock trigger and actually like it a lot. I can't figure out why people are so quick to change them out.
    vista461 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I have the stock trigger and actually like it a lot. I can't figure out why people are so quick to change them out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I feel its fine!

I bought a sigma9(which people said sucked) after I had the M&P9c, (couldn't pass up a good deal) and shot it, and did almost as good with the M&P, which is VG for a pistol with a 3.5 in barrel.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    The trigger has a lot of grit feeling to it on the take up. This is caused by the firing pin safety rubbing on the tab of the trigger bar. The break is pretty good with a typical amount of creep. No better or worse than most striker fired pistols. Typical amount of over travel. The reset is not very tactile or distinct at all. There is also a feeling of two resets. The trigger bar falls off the firing pin safety and it feels like a faint reset, then you let the trigger out even more and the actual reset takes place. I have short stroked my M&Ps a few times thinking the first false reset is the actual reset.

So I basically see three issues:
    1) Gritty take up.
    2) Very faint reset.
    3) Feeling of two seperate resets.

The good news is that there are solutions of various degrees for all these problems.

You can completely eliminate the grit by either polishing the firing pin safety or replacing it from one from Apex.

The two seperate "resets" can also be eliminated by reducing the actual reset point with either a new sear from Apex or filing/polishing the sear yourself. The replacement firing pin safety also helps this situation.

At this time there is only so much you can do about the actual reset and how tactile it feels/sounds. Apex has their RAM, but it only does so much. Apex is coming out with a different version which is suppose to be even better. You can also slightly bend the trigger bar to add some pressure on the sear.

Overall, it isn't too bad and the way the M&P firing system is designed makes it easy to gunsmith on to change the characteristics. Just takes some work on your part.

VIP Member
    It's on par with most stiker fired pistols, some are better and some are worse. I have some with Apex add on's and others without. They tend to smooth up over time with RAM they have a better reset. I would say that they are a touch lighter out of the box then say a Glock. By with confidence, they are a great pistol with a proven track record at a fair price.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If you want yo shoot competition get a kit. If not then its fine

For what its worth, it's the same trigger from the Sigma which held up with it's 10lb+ trigger pull.

On my wife's 9c, I polished the trigger bar, radiused the fps plunger, and polished the sear tip. It dropped the gritty factory 6lb pull down to a smoother 4.5lbs.

I used my buddies m&p 45 for a bit when i was thinking about buying one and really didn't like the trigger. The shape bothered me and I prefer a short and positive reset. (use to glock) I had trouble not releasing the trigger far enough to reset it. Just wasn't for me is all.

I think a lot depends on the shooters hands, large strong hands, small weak hands and everythying in between. Also, it depends on what you are used to. I was raised with a 63 winchester .22, trigger pull 4lbs, and that is wat I like on all my fire arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links