Defensive Carry banner

Rock Island 1911

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  AnimalKracker 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went to the range with a friend who just bought a NIB Rock Island 1911 from my brother in law. I didn't think much of it because I felt it was a cheap copy of a Colt. Well after firing the gun it sure changed my mind on a $300 copy. It was well balanced for me and extremly accurate using cheap Wolf ammo. Even at 25 yards grouping was very tight. I was very impressed and it seemed to be well made. If anyone is looking for a 1911 for not much money you need to check this one out. I highly recomend it and when my budget gets back in shape I'm buying one also. :banana:

#2 ·
Ahhh...The Trusty Philippines Pony Gun. :yup:

Just be sure when you go to buy yours that you "function check" it coupled with a close visual inspection before you buy.
As the RIAs have become more in demand - their quality (concerning the fit and function) is now usually great but, sometimes sporadically spotty.

They are good guns though.

#3 ·
I have one... Had to put new sights on it, the original ones were unusable for me. I also put some nice checkered wood grips on it.

I've put close to 1000 rounds through it at this point, the only failure I ever had was with Hornady jacketed SWC ammo... wouldn't feed right.

For the price, they're hard to beat.

The new taurus 1911's are even more interesting to me... almost double the price, but still affordable, with many high-end additions.

#4 ·
I own a Rock I bought used for $265. Fits my hand well, shoots well, is accurate, and dependable. My only issues are with the sharp edges on the grip safety cutting into the webbing of my hand and the SMALL sights. I think some BrightSights paint is in my future.

#6 ·
I went the Cheap route for the sight paint. I had my wife pickup the brightest nail polish she could find. She got a BRIGHT yellow and a bottle of clear. Put in on and at least now I can see the front sight, but still needs to be bigger.

I just wonder :scratchchin: what kind of woman wears nail polish that bright ?? I may need the RIA to fight off any hookers that see the Nail Polish and try to mug me . :biggrin2:

:tumbleweed:

#5 ·
+1 Fan of RIA

I found the same, great gun for the money.

I wanted something cheaper to keep in my truck, and the RIA

fits the bill to a T. The only issues I have is the tiny (crappy) GI sights , and the cheap ass looking grips (had to change those)

Besides that for the price it's a heck of a gun.

:tumbleweed:

#7 ·
Well, they have been making various firearms for a long time in the Philippines so...it's not like they don't know how to produce a firearm.
I have seen a few that looked very nice.
I would not hesitate before clearing the trenches out with one.

#23 ·
Armscor produces the parts and it is assembled By Charles Daley, they produc the RIA also. Twin Pines owns the brand name RIA, but they are produced by Armscor. Beginning this year all Armscor products in the USA will be RIA. There is going to be a lot more choices in models and cal. And you can go here to talk to the Co. Rep. for the USA. http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17 Ivan Walcott - User Name: ArmscorBA - Email: nidanblackdragon@myway.com Here are my ROCKS
And this is off hand no brace just rapid fire point and shoot.

#9 ·
to help with the sights on the RIA take a small fine file and open up the rear notch and take a little brush and model paint and outline the notch preferable color is white for me with floresent orange up front.My father in law and I have 3 of them between us,he is in his 70's and I wear tri focals it made a world of difference, it couldn't be that were both gettin OLD.

#12 ·
If you are interested in the RIA pistols you might want to check out this site. http://www.classicarms.us/ About half way down the page you will find them listed. I have not yet, but intend to shortly buy one of the ones that they have had hard chromed. They look good and should last a long time.

BTW: The pistols are made by Armscor and marketed in the US under the name Rock Island Armory.

#13 ·
Wow. Thanks for that link George! That site is well worth bookmarking.

I think that I too want one of those tow toned hard chromed RIA .45's. Very pretty and at only $359.00, how can you go wrong?

Thanks again for the link.

#14 ·
Mike, those of us who live in Alabama and those who wish they did have to stick together. I agree, for that price how can you go wrong?

Keep safe.

#15 ·
I got a RIA a couple of weeks ago and it had upgraded sights on it. Not sure exactly sure what they are, brand wise, but they are much better than the old GI sights. The only problem I've had is the front sight has loosened after about 300 rounds.

#16 ·
I've had four Rock Islands. My Son and Son in Law each have one of them. They shoot theirs all the time. Accurate and reliable. I've left the two I have stock and they gobble up any ammo I've fed them.

Jungle Work

#17 ·
Does anyone know if they make a compact with a 4" barrel? I'm dying for an officer's frame .45 with a 4". I know I can get a Colt or a nice Kimber if I have the money but wouldn't mind trying a RIA in this configuration if they make them.

They sound like a good value....

God Bless
Gideon

#22 ·
Not sure if they have a Officers frame with 4 inch barrel.
I have a RIA Officers model (3.5 inch barrel). And they also make a Commander model with a 4 inch barrel.
My Officers model runs great. Got about 300 rounds through it now. last 150 rounds with no hic-ups.

CD
RIA
Armscor
Hi-Standard GI
All come off the same line. The CDs are worked on more (better sights etc) but basically the same pistols.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.