Rock Island 1911

Rock Island 1911

This is a discussion on Rock Island 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to the range with a friend who just bought a NIB Rock Island 1911 from my brother in law. I didn't think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Rock Island 1911

Yesterday I went to the range with a friend who just bought a NIB Rock Island 1911 from my brother in law. I didn't think much of it because I felt it was a cheap copy of a Colt. Well after firing the gun it sure changed my mind on a $300 copy. It was well balanced for me and extremly accurate using cheap Wolf ammo. Even at 25 yards grouping was very tight. I was very impressed and it seemed to be well made. If anyone is looking for a 1911 for not much money you need to check this one out. I highly recomend it and when my budget gets back in shape I'm buying one also.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Ahhh...The Trusty Philippines Pony Gun.

Just be sure when you go to buy yours that you "function check" it coupled with a close visual inspection before you buy.
    As the RIAs have become more in demand - their quality (concerning the fit and function) is now usually great but, sometimes sporadically spotty.

They are good guns though.

I have one... Had to put new sights on it, the original ones were unusable for me. I also put some nice checkered wood grips on it.

I've put close to 1000 rounds through it at this point, the only failure I ever had was with Hornady jacketed SWC ammo... wouldn't feed right.

For the price, they're hard to beat.

The new taurus 1911's are even more interesting to me... almost double the price, but still affordable, with many high-end additions.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I own a Rock I bought used for $265. Fits my hand well, shoots well, is accurate, and dependable. My only issues are with the sharp edges on the grip safety cutting into the webbing of my hand and the SMALL sights. I think some BrightSights paint is in my future.

+1 Fan of RIA

I found the same, great gun for the money.

I wanted something cheaper to keep in my truck, and the RIA

fits the bill to a T. The only issues I have is the tiny (crappy) GI sights , and the cheap ass looking grips (had to change those)

Besides that for the price it's a heck of a gun.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Quote Originally Posted by plblark View Post
    I own a Rock I bought used for $265. Fits my hand well, shoots well, is accurate, and dependable. My only issues are with the sharp edges on the grip safety cutting into the webbing of my hand and the SMALL sights. I think some BrightSights paint is in my future.
    I went the Cheap route for the sight paint. I had my wife pickup the brightest nail polish she could find. She got a BRIGHT yellow and a bottle of clear. Put in on and at least now I can see the front sight, but still needs to be bigger.

I just wonder what kind of woman wears nail polish that bright ?? I may need the RIA to fight off any hookers that see the Nail Polish and try to mug me .

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Administrator
    Well, they have been making various firearms for a long time in the Philippines so...it's not like they don't know how to produce a firearm.
    I have seen a few that looked very nice.
    I would not hesitate before clearing the trenches out with one.

VIP Member
    By chance QKShooter do you know if RIA also makes the Charsle Daley 1911. To my understanding they are also made in the Phillipines.

to help with the sights on the RIA take a small fine file and open up the rear notch and take a little brush and model paint and outline the notch preferable color is white for me with floresent orange up front.My father in law and I have 3 of them between us,he is in his 70's and I wear tri focals it made a world of difference, it couldn't be that were both gettin OLD.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Administrator

My Guess

I best guess not since the Chas Daley frame & slide are machined castings & the RIA are machined forgings.

I have a RIA and love it! I had a beavertail grip safety and commander hammer added and it's great!

I painted the front sight with flourescent yellow model paint and I can now see it. I like the idea of filing the rear sight and paining an outline. I'll try that next.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

VIP Member
    If you are interested in the RIA pistols you might want to check out this site. http://www.classicarms.us/ About half way down the page you will find them listed. I have not yet, but intend to shortly buy one of the ones that they have had hard chromed. They look good and should last a long time.

BTW: The pistols are made by Armscor and marketed in the US under the name Rock Island Armory.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Wow. Thanks for that link George! That site is well worth bookmarking.

I think that I too want one of those tow toned hard chromed RIA .45's. Very pretty and at only $359.00, how can you go wrong?

Thanks again for the link.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for that link George! That site is well worth bookmarking.

I think that I too want one of those tow toned hard chromed RIA .45's. Very pretty and at only $359.00, how can you go wrong?

Thanks again for the link.
    Mike, those of us who live in Alabama and those who wish they did have to stick together. I agree, for that price how can you go wrong?

Keep safe.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I got a RIA a couple of weeks ago and it had upgraded sights on it. Not sure exactly sure what they are, brand wise, but they are much better than the old GI sights. The only problem I've had is the front sight has loosened after about 300 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links