Coonan Classic .357 Magnum Automatic

Coonan Classic .357 Magnum Automatic

This is a discussion on Coonan Classic .357 Magnum Automatic within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive always thought it would be super freaking cool to have a .357 Mag auto especially in a 1911, but if ever there was one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coonan Classic .357 Magnum Automatic

Cool Coonan Classic .357 Magnum Automatic

Ive always thought it would be super freaking cool to have a .357 Mag auto especially in a 1911, but if ever there was one I haven't found it or it was a one off custom built job that no one ever heard about.
    But, alas! We finally have a "production" .357 Mag auto 1911! Granted it weighs 42 and 48 oz empty and loaded respectively, and is large dimensionally, but I think I would CC it for short outings and most definitely for OC.
    The price is pretty steep for my budget($1249.00),but when you consider the going rate for a "custom" 1911 this seems to be on par with the rest of the custom smiths out there.
    I think that the gun looks really good, keeping all of the traditional 1911 lines and features, plus with a simple spring swap you can shoot .38spl for plinking or range time and save the piggy bank.
    Overall I think that this is a pretty sweet weapon and would love to own one someday. What do you guys think? All thoughts and opinions welcomed and encouraged!

Coonan - Coonan Classic .357 Magnum Automatic

As a side note; does anyone know of any other production or semi-custom .357 mag autos in 1911 (or any other auto for that matter) out there? Thanks.

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

LAR Grizzly made one back in the day,I have the Mark 4 in 44 magnum,you will be paying around 1200.00 +.The problem with guns no longer in production can be spare parts,and even magazines.If you can find them you pay a premium price
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Sig builds 1911s in .357 Sig.

357 mag performance, 1911 ergos, and rimless cartridge feed reliability.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I would love to have one, just for the cool factor.

Administrator
    If you just type coonan into the forum search block you'll find one a couple of threads started by AZQKR about the original Coonan Arms .357 Mag semi-auto. He owns one or two of the originals.

There are some PICS there and some good information.

The original was by Coonan Arms & this latest re-released one is by Coonan Inc. They are not the same company. At least I'm best guessing that.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Sig builds 1911s in .357 Sig.

357 mag performance, 1911 ergos, and rimless cartridge feed reliability.
    Yeah, but it's still not a .357 mag and you can't shoot as heavy weight bullets...
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Senior Moderator
    It looks like an interesting piece. I could see me owning one someday.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Great guns and very darn accurate. I make Coonan holsters, I know Dan Coonan and have a line on one for me to buy.

You can swap out springs and shoot 38s with it. 357 is my favorite round.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I think there's a Desert Eagle in .357 mag.

They are intersting guns, if a bit expensive. I personally wouldn't want one because of the cost and the ridiculously long grip, I feel the money would be better spent on a nice S&W revolver. If you like it and you can afford it though, go ahead and get what makes you happy.

If I could afford it, I would have one, saw an article in a magazine about this gun, very nice, I like the 357 mag.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Administrator
    and the ridiculously long grip

It's not as bad as you might think.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

SWEET! Now I have to start saving.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    If I could afford it, I would have one, saw an article in a magazine about this gun, very nice, I like the 357 mag.
    Yeah, that's where I originally saw it was in "Combat Handguns" I believe.

How about a 10mm 1911 instead?

Rather than looking for a 1911 that shoots .357 magnum revolver ammunition, I think I would look for a 1911 that shoots 10mm semiauto ammunition. The 10mm ballistics are in the same range as .357 magnum, and several manufacturers make 1911s in this caliber, including Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson and Fusion. A Dan Wesson 10mm with bobtail is shown below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links