Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT?

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into getting one of these for deep concealment and back-up duty. What is everybodys opinion reguarding which one to go with. My experience ...

Thread: Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT?

Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT?

I'm looking into getting one of these for deep concealment and back-up duty. What is everybodys opinion reguarding which one to go with. My experience is limited to a 1st Gen P3AT, which was a piece of junk and kicked like a mule.

The P32 is its 2oz lighter, I've heard that it has less recoil than the 380, I've also heard the 32s have less reliability problems, and carries one more round.

The P3AT has a more powerful round. And really isn't any bigger than the 32.

So which would you chose? I might also carry as a primary during the very hot summers in Texas.

2. Remove Ads

I would choose the .380. That is the bare minimum caliber I would carry for self-defense. My 110lb wife who does not even shoot had no problem handling the recoil. I have had no problem with my P-3AT
    (2nd Generation). Feeds Golddots reliable. I've heard the 32's can potentially have problems with "rim lock". I carry the Keltec everywhere's I go. Take care.

I'd probably go with the .380 just because both guns are really the same size. My old lady carries a .32 (Beretta Tomcat, she wanted single action trigger pull) and I don't think the .32 is particularly a bad round, just that the .380 is better. I wouldn't want to be shot with either. Also, if you plan on shooting a lot, .380 tends to be a bit cheaper (a dollar here and there adds up) than .32 (at least in KY).

RTK
    I agree with Slimjim. Go for the P3AT, it is basically the same size as the 32 but you get more stopping power. I have a 2nd gen. P3AT and have never had any issue's with it.

Hows the recoil? I regularly put 50 to 100 rounds through my Kahr PM40 so recoil isn't that big of a deal.

North American Arms :)

Same weight as my PM40 but much less omph. The Kahr carries well enough in my pocket and the Kel-Tec is the only pocket gun I'm considering because there is nothing lighter or thinner.

VIP Member
    I have a 1st generation and 2nd generation P3AT and haven't had any problems with them. The .32 can rimlock with hollow points but you probably would need to use FMJ anyway for penetration. There is a lot of LEO's that use the .32 because it is supposed to lock back when the mag is empty. My preference is .380. I have shot several new P3AT's that friends just bought and they all run good with no problems. I have a friend in LE that told me in May 05 that the last 3 homocides he worked had been shot with a .380. Two of the 3 were one shot kills and the third was full of holes. The .380's fill the gap nicely when you can't carry something bigger.

Dewayne

Have had my P3AT for over a year with not one FTF/FTE. Recoil is manageable particularly if you are used to a revolver. Put CorBon DPX 380 in it with Remington UMC FMJ and it is a great deep CCW. I live where I need something small for the summer months, but carry my P11 during cooler times of the year. My only complaint is that Wolff doesn't make a beefer recoil spring for the P3AT, alot of the KTOG guys use the P32 Wolff recoil spring in the P3AT.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

I carry my P32 daily and is 100% reliable. So guess my choice.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a p3at 2nd gen and i really love it. so tiny even with the mag extension(adds half inch of finger room and a extra rd) Great with a pocket holster or iwb. It just disappears and you forget you have it with you.

On recoil, well its not a range gun. Sure you can shoot 50 rds at a time with no problem. When i first got it, i shot 100 rds through it, but that started to make things uncomfortable. Its meant to be a reliable carry piece that you fire a few rds out of a month to keep accurate with it. I have shot about 300 rds through mine and it has had no problems. Well... one fte from a very old and tarnished wolff brand.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I would choose the .380. That is the bare minimum caliber I would carry for self-defense.
    I agree. I would never choose to carry anything less than a .380 for SD. My 2nd gen. P3AT has been completely reliable. I have no problem keeping all rds CM on a silouette at combat ranges in rapid fire. It's usually a BUG, but sometimes primary.
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

Gotta recommend the P3AT. Same size as P32 with a bit more power. My young bride and I both carry P3ATs, mine 1st gen, hers 2nd. Never a malfunction with either. I use a pocket holster with a flat flap that makes it appear to be a wallet. Makes a great BUG. I also load Gold Dots.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links