Glock 19- Gen 2 Recoil Spring

This is a discussion on Glock 19- Gen 2 Recoil Spring within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 19 that is my favorite carry gun. It was born in October 1989 and has thousands of rounds through it. As ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock

Thread: Glock 19- Gen 2 Recoil Spring

Glock 19- Gen 2 Recoil Spring

I have a Glock 19 that is my favorite carry gun. It was born in October 1989 and has thousands of rounds through it. As a general maintenance I change out the recoil spring every few years. Now that the Gen 4's are out with the dual recoil spring I thought maybe that would be a good upgrade.

Does anyone know if the Gen 4 springs are backward compatible to Gen 2's? Any real significant recoil reduction to make it worth it?

here's some gun pron...

2. Remove Ads

Got my Answer, Direct from the Mothership...

Just flat won’t work for several reasons:

1. The radius of the curved cut where the rear of the recoil assembly rests against the barrel lug is different with GEN4 than it was with GEN2/GEN3 –Rear of spring assembly won’t mount right.

2. The amount of free space in the nose of the GEN2/GEN3 frames is less than that in GEN4 pistols – The larger diameter of the forward portion of the GEN4 recoil assembly won’t fit in the earlier models.

3. The nose rings of GEN4 vs. GEN2/GEN3 are machined differently – The forward end of the GEN4 assembly wouldn’t seat properly in the earlier pistols.

Aside from that, there’s no real advantage to such a change. Any reduction in perceived recoil with service level loads would be offset by the possibility of increased function problems with low powered practice loads.

Good to Know!

VIP Member
    Honestly having owned every Glock Gen, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference in recoil between the 9mm Gens anyway. I have a special place in my heart for the Gen 2 G19. I still have one with the stock recoil spring, works like a charm after all these years.
    DRM likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Love my Gen 2. It was made in Nov 1989.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You shooting competition? Stick to your 2nd gen Glock and replacement recoil assemblies. Get factory parts and you have no worries. I should be up to date on this, but took my class between the 3rd and 4th gen Glocks. I do not think the 4th gen parts are compatible. Stick close to your original specs and parts. Best way to play it safe. You have a Glock....how much better can it get? Personally, I like the 3rd gen finger groove grips. Recoil reduction in the 9mm Glock is pretty much a moot point in my opinion. I've toyed with different rated springs on the full size G17 for competition. Thing is....you want a carry pistol or competition pistol? IMO...forget about performance parts in a survival gun. My 2˘

The Gen 4 recoil spring/rod system cannot fit the Gen 2. However the Gen 3 spring/rod are the same. I suspect your, like mine is a non captive spring?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The original spring was non captive. I did put a captive spring in years ago and have been using it that way since.

I have 2 Gen 2's G19 and both have captive springs now. They are 1989 and 1994 birthday's. The 1989 has Austrian proof markings. I love my G-19's.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Why they got away from the flat wire spring is beyond me...

Bad move IMO.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Cool

If you feel a need to upgrade from the original equipment spring and guide you can go this route.

I did on my G-23. Is it necessary ? No. Does it upgrade in a positive way ? I think so.

Glock Stainless Steel Guide Rod - GlockStore.com

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I actually did upgrade my G23 with a steel guide rod. It worked fine. When I took my G23 to Glock in Smyrna for a frame upgrade they replaced the stainless steel one with their stock part. The Tech said that that they have to send out the pistols with known spec parts. So I lost my steel guide rod.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Man, that sucks...

Sounds like to me it's perk for being a tech!
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I am constantly checking the classifieds for a Gen 2 19. I'd love to find one for under $400.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I am constantly checking the classifieds for a Gen 2 19. I'd love to find one for under $400.

You should contact Mark at Summit Guns He gets in Glock trades all the time. Great prices too!

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    slickguns has gen 2 19s for $369 right now through aim surplus.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links