Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"? - Page 2

Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"?

This is a discussion on Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W 442...you'll wonder how you ever got along without it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"?

S&W 442...you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    You will like the trigger pull on the Smiths in SA (once you pull the hammer back). Go for the Smith, you can alway pick up another glock.

Yeah, the 686 is a pretty friggin' big gun, especially compared to the G26 you want. Very nice, but large, bulky and heavy. I want one too! Don't be fooled by Pogo, he only has nice guns that tempt you.

I now carry a recently purchased Ruger SP101 with a boot grip, 2.25in barrel, and bobbed hammer. It's a tad bigger than my G26, not by much, but it weighs enough that I can't imagine carrying a larger revolver, especially considering the capacity your getting in return. Whatever floats yer boat though, if your committed you can find a way to carry anything. Ther are guys that carry Colt Navy cap n' ball revolvers, to each his own.

VIP Member
    You will get them both eventually. 4" K frame conceals IWB pretty well with the right holster, but a S&W 640 - .357 J frame - conceals very well.

Hawaii shirts need to make a comeback. Then again, at 54, I could not care less about fashion. They are comfortable and they work for me.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    It's time for me to start thinking about getting another gun, and the Smith and Wesson 686 .357 mag. with the 4" barrel has caught my eye. Currently my Glock 19 is on active duty as a carry weapon, but I would like my next gun to be in my carry rotation should something ever happen to the Glock. Does anyone have experience concealing a 686 IWB? I'm a tall and skinny guy, so will I be able to hide it?

If a 686 won't work out, I may go with a Glock 26, but I am looking to supplement my carry arsenal to fit all my needs. I'm looking for some advice as to what second carry gun to buy. Thanks!
    If you are talking strictly "concealed" carry IMHO the G26 makes for a better partner than a 686. Nothing against the 686 ..... I have a 686 6 incher and a 681 4 inch. Love them both... and they are wonderful house guns or field guns but are a bit too heavy for me for every day carry.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

During the fall and winter I have been carrying a 2 1/2 686 OWB or a 4" 686 IWB on most weekends. The 2 1/2 works well with shirt tail out, the 4" in the iwb worn at 4 o'clock position. Both are well hidden and comfortable. My j-frames are lighter to carry, but the 686 is a better fight stopper with more accuracy [in my hands] and faster repeat shots.

My .02

Doc

I handled the 686 today and it felt even bigger than I remembered. I love the trigger, both in double and single action. The only problem is I have absolutely no need for it. The gun wreaks of good old American excess: it's enormous, its shiny, .357 may be overkill, and I'll bet it's loud. But it just felt weird in my hand. It's everything the Glock is not, so I just wasn't ready for it. The 686 is still amazing and I want one, but later.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links