Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"?

This is a discussion on Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's time for me to start thinking about getting another gun, and the Smith and Wesson 686 .357 mag. with the 4" barrel has caught ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"?

Second Carry Gun, Conceal a S&W 686 4"?

It's time for me to start thinking about getting another gun, and the Smith and Wesson 686 .357 mag. with the 4" barrel has caught my eye. Currently my Glock 19 is on active duty as a carry weapon, but I would like my next gun to be in my carry rotation should something ever happen to the Glock. Does anyone have experience concealing a 686 IWB? I'm a tall and skinny guy, so will I be able to hide it?

If a 686 won't work out, I may go with a Glock 26, but I am looking to supplement my carry arsenal to fit all my needs. I'm looking for some advice as to what second carry gun to buy. Thanks!
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

The 686 is a pretty heavy gun to be packing IWB all day. If your looking for a BUG why not take a look at the J frames.
    Unisaw likes this.

I think the RUGER SP101 in .357 mag with a 2.25 bbl would fit the bill nicely. Well built, accurate and easily concealable; I carry mine IWB and OWB depending on what I'm wearing. You barely know its there.
    DanielC likes this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I opted for a Ruger SR9c. Conceals nice. Prefer it to my S&W J Frame .38. Ruger is reasonable price, handles all the ammo I've tried, has 10 or 17 round mag, and is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    I think the RUGER SP101 in .357 mag with a 2.25 bbl would fit the bill nicely. Well built, accurate and easily concealable; I carry mine IWB and OWB depending on what I'm wearing. You barely know its there.
    Is the SP101 to big/heavy for ankle carry?

I'm looking for something to carry while driving... not to easy to get to the G19 IWB with a seat belt over it.

And I'd like to avoid the hassle of unholstering every time I'm in or out of the vehicle.

Best solution I've come up with so far is to carry a BUG on ankle.

I'll search and see if there are any threads where ankle carry and BUG's have been beat to death already...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    I like your idea some pros and cons:
    If you go with another Glock same ammo and you can use the longer mags in the 26. Same holster will fit the 26 and 19.
    The wheel guns are great. different ammo, the hammer can be cocked and you can shoot in sa. The 686 is kinda large, they make the J frames in the airweights and SS. Maybe look at them. I hunt with my 686 ( but it has the 6" barrel, I put it in a shoulder holster once and I can't conceal at all. looks like I am happy to see you). You will never lose your brass with the wheel gun. I like the groups I can get at the range with the revolver. I am a big fan of having different types of firearms and knowing how to use them all (properly)

good luck
    Walden and candalos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Is the SP101 to big/heavy for ankle carry?

I'm looking for something to carry while driving... not to easy to get to the G19 IWB with a seat belt over it.

And I'd like to avoid the hassle of unholstering every time I'm in or out of the vehicle.

Best solution I've come up with so far is to carry a BUG on ankle.

I'll search and see if there are any threads where ankle carry and BUG's have been beat to death already...
    I would say it is too big, unless you wear bell bottoms lol. But that's just me; you might be able to make it work. I'm just not a fan of ankle carry so ive never tried it.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

VIP Member
    I carry a 638 ( j frame) in an ankle. Can't even see it. Don't think you could get away with much more than that. Even with bell bottoms. Maybe clown pants.

The 686 is a kick-ass piece of weaponry. Walden, I know you desire to carry IWB....but if you want to consider cruising with a shoulder rig, the 686 would definately be up for it. I often carry a Smith 329 PD (4"...44 mag.) in a Vertical Shoulder Rig all day, sometimes all night.

I use an Uncle Mikes set-up which I "opened up" a tad to facilitate quicker draw. The off-side has a speed loader pouch and I also built an elastic loop system on the off-strap that lets me carry 6 more extra rounds just below my shoulder. Now the 329 only weighs 27-28 ounces (empty) whereas the 686 runs heavier.....but I also switch off and carry my Beretta (PX4 .40) in another Uncle Mikes Vertical Rig. It weighs roughly the same (loaded with 15 rounds) as your 686 loaded.

They both ride grrreat once you have the adjustment dialed in. I usually just toss on an open button up shirt or a jacket over a tee-shirt. In a store, resturant etc, I button the lower two or three buttons or barely zip a jacket. No printing, comfortable and quickly accessable.

Gets too hot to toss on a shirt or jacket....I go with a J-Frame Smith on my ankle, but here in Colorado, it's not too hot except for a few months.....

neverenough

I think you might be better served with a 686 snubbie--2.5 inch barrel. Still pretty heavy, but easier to conceal than the 4 inch and easier to shoot than the j-frame. I have one and often carry it in my jacket pocket or inside waist.

I have a four inch 681 that I carried for the first time yesterday. The only holster I have at this time is a Bianchi 3 slot OWB type. While it is kind of heavy in the hand, once it was on the belt it was quite comfortable. Revolvers look a little too lumpy to me to be comfortable for IWB carry so I have never tried it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I used to carry a 2.5" 686 + IWB, no problem at all. If carried IWB a 4" would work just fine.

Get the 686 and the G26

There; problem solved
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

686 is pretty big

I have two S&W 686s, and like the gun very much. I have sometimes carried my 686 with 2.5 inch barrel, and it is a heavy gun for concealed carry, weighing about 34 ounces. It is also pretty wide through the cylinder. So for revolver carry I prefer something lighter, like a S&W J frame or a Colt Detective Special. But the 686 is a great gun for shooting, with a wonderful trigger feel.

Walden likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

AAAAAHHHHH, this is torturous! I WANT the 686, but I can't carry it as OWB and shoulder rigs are out of the question (I'm 21 and I would look ridiculous in the summer heat wearing a Hawaiian shirt). pogo2, your gun is absolutely gorgeous and I love the ivory grips. It was actually the 586 (same gun, just blued frame and oak grips) that I fell in love with. How hard is it to deal with a blued gun? I'm used to maintaining my Glock, so I don't want something too high maintenance.

As Mr. Buckwheat said, the interchangeability of holsters and mags is incredibly convenient. The G26 would be the practical choice in this. But the 586 or 686 is a more-exciting emotional choice. Alas, I can only have one (I'm not an engineer quite yet)

Does everyone have a back up carry gun? Actually, the G26 is the logical and right choice for me at this time in my life. But as God is my witness, I WILL have a 4" S&W .357 someday! Thank you all for your input and for helping me arrive at this tough conclusion.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links