Getting bad advice! Need input!

This is a discussion on Getting bad advice! Need input! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is a big fan of her new Kahr CW9. Previously she tried to carry a Springfield XD sc9. It was too heavy for ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Getting bad advice! Need input!

My wife is a big fan of her new Kahr CW9. Previously she tried to carry a Springfield XD sc9. It was too heavy for her. So you need to think about weight and what you are willing to deal with carrying. The Kahr is lighter loaded than the XD was unloaded. And she shoots it great. A buddy of mine is a big fan of the bodyguard too. Get a name brand gun, that's moderately priced, and you are less likely to run into junk.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

You didn't mention a specific caliber or price range so I am going to suggest the Sig P238. (I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet?!!) This is an excellent CCW weapon, it shoots like a larger framed gun, and feels good in my large hands even without the mag extension, it is accurate, and high quality.
    As a side note, I live in the KC area and would be happy to direct you to my LGS. They are a nice bunch of guys and half always been good to me. PM me for details.

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

All the reputable guns mentioned are excellent and will serve you well.

Try finding a shop where you can get the "feel" of each one in your hand to find the one you're most comfortable with and is naturally easiest to operate all the functions. You might call around to see if any local gun ranges rent the ones you're interested in and go run a few rounds through them before making a final choice.

VIP Member
    OP I have a question. Why not a revolver? If you ask 10 people and 9 tell you a revolver would be good for you then why aren't you listening?

Don't get so caught up in one type of gun that you miss the diamond in the rough.

Now to answer you question. Gen 3 Glocks are bombproof and would serve you well. Also look at the Kahr line of pistols and the S&W M&P pistols too. The Bersa Thunder in .380 would be a solid, inexpensive EDC pistol. Lastly I'll say that you should look at the Ruger LC9 pistol but this would be my last choice as the reviews are mixed.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Try out: Glock 26/27 (9mm/.40)
    Kahr 9
    Sig 232 (.380)
    Walter PPK (.380)
    Colt New Agent .45cal

Good luck! I have all those, all great EDC, however, I am partial to my fav (G27)

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I agree with the advice that you should try several handguns before you buy and find one that fits your hands, conceals well based on how you wish to carry (IWB, OWB, etc.), in a caliber you need for personal defense, has the reliability you need and is at a price you can afford. I carry a S&W 9c and it works well for me, but I'm 6 feet tall and about 185 lbs. However, my wife is also comfortable shooting this pistol although she does not carry it.

I also wanted to comment about the necessity of a safety. The fact that the OP has children in the house should have no bearing on the need for a safety IMO. A safety is only a mechanical means to reduce the chance of unintentional discharge and should not be trusted or used as replacement for proper handling, safe muzzle direction, etc. With or without children, the gun should be under the owner's direct control at all times, and when not it should be locked in a safe compartment - preferably unloaded unless also used for home protection. Children should have zero access to the firearm at all times (safety or no).
    Agave likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you are likly to end up owning more guns so try to buy this 'one' with that in mind

a bersa thunder 380

cause it will take hot ammo and it has many safetys....not that they will prevent you from using it when needed
    (cause you will not have the lock on it when carrying) but you mention children and while the best safety is YOU,
    having a gun with a slide/hammer lock and a de-cocker is as safe as a loaded gun can get.
    id say look at the Sig p238 but it has 1911 style safties. not a good mix with the potential of children as you expressed it.

and how you mention children, again--you must be aware ALL the time.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    You have figured out your friend is - shall we say, biased. Of the three weapons you mentioned, the G26 is the only one I would recommend because it is the easiest to shoot, repeatedly and get in good practice with. I have a LCP and I carry it daily as a BUG. I do not, however, enjoy taking it to the range or shooting it at all. I have done so to prove it works and to get familiar with it, but it is not a range gun. If I am in a SHTF scenario and need it, I am good to go with it, but I really dislike shooting it. This is primarily due to its size and weight. The S&W .380 would be about the same.

You have gotten good advice from many here with other weapons to try. I too, suggest going to a good gun store, or preferably a range that rents guns, and handle/shoot as many as you can. You will find a gun that is controllable by you, fits your hands and that you just plain like.

You mentioned the G26 you tried years ago was not a good fit. Glock has come out with the Generation 4 weapons that have adjustable backstraps (the back part of the grip where the heel of your hand goes). If you go with the smallest backstrap (which I believe, is to remove the medium or large and just have the fixed smaller backstrap), the newer guns may fit you well. While you are looking at the G26, you may also want to just take a look at the G19, also in gen 4 trim. It is slightly larger, but still pretty concealable. Both the G26 and G19 are double stack mags.

My suggestion is that you find a weapon that you enjoy shooting and can still conceal easily. If you enjoy shooting your weapon you will be more likely to practice with it, which will make you more proficient with it... Good luck in your search.

ETA - FWIW, a good holster and gun belt will make a major difference in what you can conceal. You won't believe it til you try it. With a quality belt and holster, you can conceal a firearm much larger than you think possible (or is possible with a poor belt and/or holster). I like the A&G belts and Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holsters. Together, these allow me to conceal relatively large weapons without a hitch (g21 and S&W Model 15 4" k-frame revolver).

NOTE - good quality holsters and belts are not cheap, but if you start there, they are cheaper than getting there with a box of unused gear that was initially cheaper.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You really need to handle and, if possible, shoot those that you are considering. Nobody else can make a good choice for you, although there are a number of decent "possibles" suggested in the replies. For a relatively small carry, I settled on a G26, but that's me....
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I would look at the Kahr series of pistols or a Ruger LC9.

As far as safeties and having kids around............ Either you are carrying your pistol or it is in a safe so it should never be accessible to your kids.

I use one of those small safes that are very quick to open. I keep two pistols in it, a full size pistol with a light attached and used for home defense, the other is my daily carry pistol.

Now that your kids aren't able to access the pistol, then the topic of having a safety or not on the pistol has more to do with whether or not you want a safety on your pistol when you carry it. I personally do not carry pistols with active safeties. I want to be able to grab, point, press with out having to think about deactivating a safety. Even if a modern pistol has no active safeties, they still have passive safeties so the pistols are drop safe and the only way they will fire is if the trigger is pulled. To prevent the trigger from being accidently pulled you carry the pistol in a holster that covers the trigger. In the end the only way the pistol will fire is if you pull the trigger yourself.
    Agave likes this.

Carry option

My wife purchased a Sig P238 and absolutely loves it. Compact, easy to handle, feeds well.
    I opted for the Ruger SR9c. Conceals well (use Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe - great holster) with the 10 round mag; little more bulky with the 17 round mag. Ruger shoots great and feeds almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    you are likly to end up owning more guns so try to buy this 'one' with that in mind

a bersa thunder 380

cause it will take hot ammo and it has many safetys....not that they will prevent you from using it when needed
    (cause you will not have the lock on it when carrying) but you mention children and while the best safety is YOU,
    having a gun with a slide/hammer lock and a de-cocker is as safe as a loaded gun can get.
    id say look at the Sig p238 but it has 1911 style safties. not a good mix with the potential of children as you expressed it.

and how you mention children, again--you must be aware ALL the time.
    As you said, "the best safety is you", the style of safety shouldn't be a deliminating factor, and has no bearing on whether or not there are children around. And yes OP it does have a safety just a different style; no biggie IMO.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the OP should visit Cornered Cat
    which is an excellent website for women interested in guns
    it covers many issues and should be a good resource
    ^^^ This for starters. Then, if possible, find a gun store/range that rents guns and try several different ones. See what "fits" you. What "feels" right to you.

Do you have to buy a new gun before your class? If not, wait until after the class. See what the instructor has to say. If he/she is good and experienced (and any instructor should be, although not all are), they will give you some advice/recommendations.

And above all, IGNORE your "blowhard" friend! While I don't particulary like Glocks myself (and I have fired them) they are NOT junk! Our local PD, and a whole lot of others, carry them and trust their lives to them daily. Neither are S&Ws junk (and I've owned several). So your "friend" doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, IMHO.

Good luck to you.

BTW, I noticed you only had 1 post, so welcome to the forum. Go over to "new members" and introduce yourself.
    Last edited by JDE101; February 15th, 2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: welcome added
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Thanks for the input! I will be looking at all your reccomendations!

Longhornfan6 - I don't want to be overloaded with safety features, but when I heard "well, it has a REALLY LONG trigger pull" I did not think that was a sufficient response to having no safety. Maybe it was how he said it. It just really chapped my hide.

As for the Safety Feature. It is not a prime necessity for me to have it on my gun. I will be in control 99% of the time. My son has been taught what to do and NOT to do with a weapon, and I trust him.

It just galled me at this guys attitude.

Rammerjammer - I agree this guy is a maroon (or an IGMO in my book). But thanks to you, I did perfect the "are you a retard" look in the mirror this morning!

TXexpat - Thanks for the advice. Cabela's is the only place I havent gone recently!
    You asked how I wish to carry. I don't always carry a purse, so holster carry is my main thought on this subject. I don't really have to "dress" to conceal. Jeans and T-shirts are formal wear for me!
    Plus, Being a ...... ahem...shall we say... well-endowed lady, I have quite a bit of an "overhang" if you know what I mean! I also agree with your 9mm being cheaper comment. we reload 9 here, so that reduces cost.

Apvguy Thanks! will check out that site!

Barstoolguy - you don't even want to KNOW what he said about Walthers!!! I would get banned for life from this board if I repeated it!

It is sad. This guy has a lot of good knowledge in his brain. But, his "I know better than you" attitude, gets in the way. He has an opinion on EVERYTHING. And, it is usually the opposite of whatever your opinion is.

Thank you for all your posts! I will keep looking to read what others have to say.
    I am gonna try them all, and see which one works for me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not going to recommend any particular make or model as not knowing how you plan to carry it makes a difference. And while everyone may recommend a certain firearm, such as a G26, until you handle one you don't know if it's the right fit for you.

What I do suggest is a single stack auto. I feel capacity is more often over-rated, and it's easiler to conceal a second magazine than many of the higher capacity handguns. A .380 would be aeaquate, a 9mm would be better. Larger calibers are going to be larger guns and more expensive ammo. Carry and shoot whatever make, model, and caliber you are comfortable with. There's a lot of suitable models out there; you'll find one that strikes a note with you.

And your "friend" is dead wrong about S&W and Glocks. I have both and they're great. Maybe not for everyone, but they suit me just fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links