Getting bad advice! Need input! - Page 3

Getting bad advice! Need input!

This is a discussion on Getting bad advice! Need input! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everybody seems to have their favorite guns here. Just go to the class and talk to the others in the class and the instructor and ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Getting bad advice! Need input!

VIP Member
    Everybody seems to have their favorite guns here. Just go to the class and talk to the others in the class and the instructor and you will find something. I don't think any of the above mentioned guns are bad.

What I do suggest is a single stack auto. I feel capacity is more often over-rated, and it's easiler to conceal a second magazine than many of the higher capacity handguns. A .380 would be aeaquate, a 9mm would be better. Larger calibers are going to be larger guns and more expensive ammo. Carry and shoot whatever make, model, and caliber you are comfortable with. There's a lot of suitable models out there; you'll find one that strikes a note with you.
    I agree. I think you'd be best served w/ a single stack, compact 9 mm, as long as you shoot it well. These guns can have a rather snappy recoil that some folks don't like. The same thing applies to the subcompat 380's (like the Bodyguard), but maybe even more so. Single stack 9's that come to mind, in no particular order, include: Kel-Tec PF9 (quality control seems to be spotty w/ KT's, although I've been very pleased w/ mine), Beretta Nana, Kimber Solo, Taurus 9mm Slim, Ruger LC9, Walther PPS and Kahr PM9/CW9/P9. I'll let you research which of these have an external safety lever and which don't. If you decide you can do without the external safety lever, then you might strongly consider the Kahr lineup. I just bought a Kahr CW45 and have been very pleased w/ it thus far. If the CW9 had been available when I bought my PF9, I might well have ended up w/ the PF9.

I don't think Glock or S&W currently make any single stack 9's. If you go the route of the Sig 238, I'd be sure your choice of concealed carry is compatible w/ the external hammer. To me, the gun should be carried cocked and locked. But, I worry about the cocked and locked exposed external hammer snagging during the draw w/ certain types of cc, especially pocket or purse. I don't have a 238, so maybe this is not a problem.

Can't access Youtube on my work computer, but there are a number of very useful videos on Youtube by "Limatunes?" and "Falia Photography" targeted to women who cc. You'll want to check the spelling for both of the above contributors.

VIP Member
    I'm a bit unsettled by your comment on the need for a safety because you have children. A safety, or several interlocked
    safeties, will not protect your children if they get their hands on the gun and decide to play.

I would try to find a DAO or a DA/SA. Get a great holster (to protect the trigger) and for carry comfort. Then make dang sure the kids can't get their hands on the gun.

I own 3 pistols for different purposes. If I go out and get another gun it will be a DAO hammer-less revolver.

For SD you want simplicity. You want reliability. There are few guns that are as reliable and simple as a plain vanilla
    revolver. The "safety" is your brain, the trigger weight, and your holster.

If your state is like mine you will want to take your range test with a pistol, but that doesn't mean you have to carry one.

But, in small pistols, I've mostly heard good stuff about the LCP, except for recoil issues. Everyone has their own tastes and
    preferences, and YMMV.
    Agave likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

A Smith and wesson air weight..38 spec would be hard to beat as would the body guard. Smith and wesson are about the best mass produced revolvers out there. Glocks have a well deserved reputation for reliability.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    TXexpat - Thanks for the advice. Cabela's is the only place I havent gone recently!
    You asked how I wish to carry. I don't always carry a purse, so holster carry is my main thought on this subject. I don't really have to "dress" to conceal. Jeans and T-shirts are formal wear for me!
    Plus, Being a ...... ahem...shall we say... well-endowed lady, I have quite a bit of an "overhang" if you know what I mean! I also agree with your 9mm being cheaper comment. we reload 9 here, so that reduces cost.
    Well if you are the jeans and a t-shirt kind of gal then I'd say you are in luck because that will really open up your choices. A good IWB holster will conceal just about any decent size pistol, so I'd get my hands on as many you can and then try and rent a couple after you've narrowed your choices down to the few that 'feel' the best to you. While I'm not trying to tell you that a .380 is not the way to go, having the option of a slightly larger gun opens your choices up to a good variety of "compact" pistols and if you reload 9mm, that should make practice pretty affordable.

On Cabela's; I would definitely recommend either going during the week or if you must go on the weekend, get there when the doors open so you will have a chance to speak with a sales associate without having to wait in the ungodly line that always seems to form there. That place gets pretty crazy on the weekends so I will usually just go on a weekday so I can avoid all the crowds. Be sure to let us know if they don't treat you well because I've never heard of them being anything but customer friendly.

FWIW, I gave my wife a Ruger SR9C and she likes it (hasn't had many opportunities to shoot, but she isn't carrying it yet either) and I've found it to be a really impressive compact 9mm, so you might want to have a look at it too. It's definitely small enough to IWB conceal without any issues.
    woodstock likes this.

VIP Member
    Glocks and M&Ps are the two I recommend. Try both, pick one.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Being as you are experianced as a shooter take a lool at the Sig P238, the P938 is due out early summer if you can wait that long. It will be .40 inches longer and 3/4 oz heavier ant the grip will be a bit longer front to back in order to facilitate the 9mm round. I am a smaller framed male and my hands sound like yours, I am looking forward to it's release. I do not anticipate it to be a range gun but I cannot see it being unpleasent to shoot.
    Just an option good luck with your venture.

Pat
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

If you're stuck on the need for a safety I love my M&P9C and it has the thumb safety. But speaking from experience a child could figure out the safety on a handgun in about 5 seconds if they got their hands on it. My last purchase for daily concealed is a Diamondback DB380 (aka mini-glock lol), I can't believe no one has mentioned these as I see them as the highest quality reasonably priced pocket concealed guns out there (Sig 238 costs twice as much, LCP and Keltec feel cheaper). Obviously it's a personal choice for what feels the best to you, but check out the Diamondback DB9 and DB 380 before you make your final choice.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    You mentioned a Hi Power, I assume that is a Browning Hi Power, which is a fine gun. When my wife decided she wanted a gun of her own we went to our LGS which has a large selection, I think she held 2/3 of the guns in that store. She ended up with a Walther P99 which is a really nice shooter. I recommend you go to the Cableas there in KC and handle as many guns as you want to. Find one that feels good in your hands. If the sales people are not helping you, I suggest you trot right over to the manager and let the manager know.

We have a great gal in one of the stores, I like to work with her just because she is helpful and not so macho opionated like some of the men.

What ever you get, get some training be safe and have fun

I have used and carried Glocks since 1987. NOT Junk. My Wife carried a S&W model 13 for several years and then went to a Glock 2 years ago. Her Choice not mine.

May I suggest that you look at a S&W Model 3913. Semi Auto 9mm. Compact enougt to be carried large enought to be shot well.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RIG4PG5atrshPA

A discussion on this forum about the S&W 3913

Walther PPS = Best CC gun I've ever owned. (Doesn't seem to get much love around here.) VERY slim and comes in 9mm or .40.

If you like S&W I would suggest a 3913. A friend of mine is a retired deputy and bought one as her off duty gun years ago. It is now her everyday carry and she loves it. I am a Sig guy myself and would suggest a P239 if you can live without the manual safety.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    S&W 9 Compact is my vote. 3 different grip sizes to choose from in the box to fit your hand.

For the record virtually every police agency in the country would not carry either Glock or S&W if they were junk. My preference after a lot of research and holding both is a S&W m&p because it felt better in my hand.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

It would mean that 70% of the state troopers were carrying junk:

Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

I vote for the M&P 9c - I love mine.

Doc

Hopyard is right about the safeties. Safety features on a firearm are to help prevent a negligent discharge. They are NOT to prevent your children from shooting your weapon. You need a gun safe for the safety of your children.

That said, I am a little shocked that I haven't seen anyone post up (in my eyes) the very best thing you can do before purchasing a handgun. Get to the range and test out some guns! You need to feel out different calibers and gun sizes. Find what you enjoyed or thought was manageable in regards to size, weight, recoil, ergonomics, and accuracy. Yes, I know it sounds like a daunting task for a new shooter, but it is truly the best way to sort through the fluff. Once you have tired out a few makes/models/styles, you will be able to narrow down the choices and make a personally informed decision.

There has been some good advice here, and there is tons more if you glance through the forums. I know that I have learned a ton since I first joined the community. Best of luck.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links