Getting bad advice! Need input! - Page 7

Getting bad advice! Need input!

This is a discussion on Getting bad advice! Need input! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you'll probably get a ton of different advice and opinions on here too but i'd take a good look at the Ruger lcp..only $279.00-$299.00, reliable ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Getting bad advice! Need input!

you'll probably get a ton of different advice and opinions on here too but i'd take a good look at the Ruger lcp..only $279.00-$299.00, reliable and only weighs around 9.50ozs..if you prefer something in 9mm check out Kahr's pm9,cm9 or even the cw series,all good handguns..

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    get somethng that fits your hands, I would recommend a sig p238 I have two of them and don't go back to the stores that wont listen to what you wnat unless it's to try every gun they have until you find one you like and let them know at that point their customer service sucked and had they been kewl you would have bought from them but your going down the road to someone else...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    Thanks for everything!!!
    I am headed out to the range today to get a few shots in with the S&W 915 before I go to class tomorrow. I am also taking a borrowed Ruger .22 target pistol. See how I do with that.

I did get a chance to dry fire all those guns at Cabelas the other day. However, my husband could not at Bass Pro because they refuse to take trigger locks off. They are afraid someone is going to load 1 round in the chamber and kill someone in the store!!!!
    I liked the trigger pull on the LC9. A little long, but not long enough to cause an issue with me. I have long pulls on my hunting rifles and have gotten used to it.

Thanks again for all the advice!!!

I will be sure to let you all know how I do on Saturday!!! Wish me luck!!!

Catt
    If you like your S&W 915, why not go with a S&W 908? Same action type, similar trigger, and a proven design. The 908 is the economy version of the popular 3913/3914. You can also get a 908S, if you prefer a stainless finish over blued.

I used to have a 908, and really liked it. Although I prefer polymer frame striker fired pistols for carry, I would feel very confident carrying a 908 again. The 908 is very slim, and conceals very well.

Some pics:

908 A.jpg908 B.jpg908 C.jpg
    908S.jpg908S A.jpg
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Catt sounds as if you have done well. Good luck with your class. Let us know how you did. I thought you would like an LC9. My wife did and she can shoot it pretty good.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Suggestion.... get on KSCCW.com site, and post this question too. Several people there will direct to you to dealers, etc. in that area that won't try to drive their favorite gun down your throat, or what they think you need vs what you feel you want. Hope to see you there.

Also good place to find out about local issues or changes in the laws.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, I passed!

It was a long day, but I had a great time!

I went ahead and qualified with my S&W915 since it was what I was used to.
    I had 23 out of 25 shots centered pretty well. The other two were on the page, and would have landed in the left hip area. I had a fly that would not leave me alone and flew onto my face just as I fired! ah well...

The instructor was great! If anyone needs a good class in the KC/Wichita area, PM me and I will give you the name and #.
    They only charged $75 and you get a 10% discount for each person you bring with you. They also offer Tactical training too.

After class ended, instuctor took me back out to the range and let me fire his Bersa .380. I used Fiocchi rounds.
    I liked the feel of the gun, but when firing, it hurt the base of my thumb and webbing. Kinda like a pinch.
    I fired 10 rounds out of it, and had the "pinch" feeling every round.

Anyway, I passed!!! Not the wait begins... Should not be any problem.. I have never been in trouble, and have no "disqualifiers".

Thanks for all your help! I will be looking at firing the guns I have found interesting. Will let you know what I find!

Catt

Congrats on a successful class.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow, a lot of info and you may never read my post but based on EVERYTHING I've just read I'd recommend you consider a single stack, slim 9mm auto and specifically, I'd recommend the Kahr P9. Here's why...
    -no external safety or mag disconnect. Hate to say it but ideally you don't want an external safety on a defensive gun. If you have to use it, it'll be a matter of seconds and feet while you're scared. The less controls the better. Most people won't even aim, it'll be all point and pull the trigger. A simple, smooth DAO (double action only) trigger is about perfect. the long pull of a DAO trigger is safety enough. As for your children (I have six) it's simple, if the gun is loaded it's on your person. If it's not on your person it's locked away....period.
    -Single stack is just that the bullets are one on top of another which means the gun is thin. I have small hands for a man but many double stacks are too wide in the grip. That affects how your trigger finger reaches the trigger. It has to fit you well and it's like shoes. Even if we wear the same size it's all about how it "feels" on you. The other BIG advantage of thin is how much easier it is to conceal. Revolvers have a big buldge with that cylinder and that buldge is uncomfortable and harder to conceal than something that is flat.
    -9mm; a good round. A .380 or .22 can work, a .45 will work better but it's all about being able to shoot something well that's an effective caliber. I'd recommend you carry the largest caliber you can shoot well. The advantages of 9mm is that i's a lot cheaper so you shoot more/practice more. It's probably a more effective round than a .380 or less "if" placement is equal. It's not going to be as bulky or heavy as .40 and .45 ammo. I think a .40 or .45 is a VERY effective round but I don't shoot it nearly as well as my 9's due to recoil. You'll have hunderds line up to tell you how they or their wives can handle a .40 or better; doesnt matter. Only matters how you can shoot it.
    -No magdisconnect. If you drop a magazine accidently or have to swap mags for reload or to fix a problem you want the one round in the chamber to be able to fire.
    -I like the Kahr P9 because it's small and thin and yet gives many a very good 3 finger grip. The PM9 is a bit small which makes it easier to conceal but I find it to be a snappy shooter with a pronounced muzzle flip. the inch or so difference in the grip can matter a lot depending on how you intend to carry. I have 4 Kahr's for different styles of dress. Nice thing is, they all work and shoot the same so I don't have to think about it becasue in the heat of the moment I won't be thinking.
    -You can get the CW ceries of Kahr to take the price down but I like the refinements and look of the P9 ALOT. You pay once and own it for life.
    -The Kahr K9 is all metal and the best all round 9mm shooter that is also very EASY to conceal but the weight gets old after carrying all day long.
    -The Glock 26 is an excellent gun but feels very thick compared to the Kahr line of guns. Rugers new 9mm seems like a good gun but I haven't shot it and I don't like the extra controls. The new Walther 9mm PPS may also be a good choice by I've never shot that one.

One last tip; you won't get the perfect gun the first time out. You'll probably buy several and change what and how you carry over the years so enjoy the journey, practice a lot, teach your Kids the 4 rules until they have them memorized and always practice them yourselves and it'll be good.

God Bless
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; February 19th, 2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Correct my error on the Walther PPS
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Not to get OT but thanks for the heads up about Bass Pro won't be waste my time there.
    Catt, good luck to you I'll wager you wind up with more than one piece

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Good to have you aboard and my wife likes Ruger SR9 but she says she will keep her 38 snubbie for back up

Extra controls on a PPS? Huh? Mine has none. Glock style trigger/safety, no mag safety, no external safety. Load it, point it, shoot it.

Obviously it is a personal thing, but I love my new PPS, and so does my wife.

Congrats on passing, but I'm so glad I live in a state that doesn't require training in order for me to exercise a Constitutional right.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Glock 26
    Kahr PM9
    Beretta Nano

Good luck to you!
    What he said

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I corrected my error on the Walther. I thought it did have a mag disconnect. If it doesn't then it might be a good candidate. I know others will say you can train to swipe a safety and you can but I still think the opimal setup requires nothing more than point and shoot.

I personally love 1911's and in a 9mm they're a wonderful package to carry and shoot but I do worry about a light single action trigger in a defensive weapon and again, the swiping of a safety. Everyone has opinions but from the little I've learned the vast majority of defensive shootings are, again, in seconds and feet and it's all the person can do to get the gun out, point it and shoot.

We read on forums a lot about training but truth is very few of us will ever seriously train and even those who claim/think they are may not be training as much as they think so the simpler the better in my very inexpert opinion.

I'm also of the camp that believes having one type of gun is best. In other words, whatever you shoot, all of your guns are similar as far as safeties, trigger, etc. Having said that, I'm a hypocrate and carry a 1911 sometimes instead of my Kahrs. But even though I violate this principle, I still think the very best a person can do is pick one format, one type of gun, even a single gun, practice as often as they can and carry only that. That way the odds of any confusion are reduced.

Just a thought. I love guns and have a few but seriously think having one that you actually practice with probably makes you good. When I was a kid I had a BB gun that you could watch the arc of the BB coming out. but I shot 10's of thousands of rounds and could hit bees flying in the air becasue it's the only gun I had. Same way when my dad gave me an old 16 ga shotgun. Food for thought.

Ex Member
    Gee you know WHY everyone tells you to get a wheel gun? BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST GUN FOR A NOVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have taught 75-100 women to shoot over the last 40 years and after trying both platforms they buy a wheelie.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links