Getting bad advice! Need input! - Page 8

Getting bad advice! Need input!

This is a discussion on Getting bad advice! Need input! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 Gee you know WHY everyone tells you to get a wheel gun? BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST GUN FOR ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Getting bad advice! Need input!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Gee you know WHY everyone tells you to get a wheel gun? BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST GUN FOR A NOVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have taught 75-100 women to shoot over the last 40 years and after trying both platforms they buy a wheelie.
    Except she's not a novice...

Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    Well, I passed!

It was a long day, but I had a great time!

I went ahead and qualified with my S&W915 since it was what I was used to.
    I had 23 out of 25 shots centered pretty well. The other two were on the page, and would have landed in the left hip area. I had a fly that would not leave me alone and flew onto my face just as I fired! ah well...

The instructor was great! If anyone needs a good class in the KC/Wichita area, PM me and I will give you the name and #.
    They only charged $75 and you get a 10% discount for each person you bring with you. They also offer Tactical training too.

After class ended, instuctor took me back out to the range and let me fire his Bersa .380. I used Fiocchi rounds.
    I liked the feel of the gun, but when firing, it hurt the base of my thumb and webbing. Kinda like a pinch.
    I fired 10 rounds out of it, and had the "pinch" feeling every round.

Anyway, I passed!!! Not the wait begins... Should not be any problem.. I have never been in trouble, and have no "disqualifiers".

Thanks for all your help! I will be looking at firing the guns I have found interesting. Will let you know what I find!

Catt
    Congratulations!! I to am waiting on my Texas CHL, should have it by the end of the month.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

0311 - and I bet there's no personal bias in your presentation to sway them to the wheel guns.

I love my Sig P238, 1911 style, very nice positive safety and easy to conceal.
    Taurus TCP my buddies wife loves hers

Congratulations on passing your shooting test!

There are lots of good choices out there and I'm sure folks will want to hear about your final decision. Sounds like you have a good commitment to CCW responsibly as well.

Here are some things to think about. I apologize in advance if you're already thinking about this stuff. I'd just rather not make any assumptions.

The gun you pick (as opposed to someone else deciding for you) is the one you're more likely to practice with and carry. Good job so far on making YOUR decision. :)

Think about when and how you'll carry, and also think back on the situations you found yourself in. Were you in a car, alone in a parking lot, someone's barn, etc.? In those situations, would you be able to draw and fire your gun if it came to that?

Self defense is about awareness, a plan and appropriate response. Appropriate response means having options and hopefully a cool head. Obviously you've been in some scrapes and know this, plus it sounds like you got by without shooting any bad guys. In addition your gun, please consider pepper spray, taser, tactical light, etc. Take a layered approach to self defense.

Also about those situations: if they or something similar happened in the future, would you have your CCW with you? Just a reminder, the larger and meaner your carry piece, the more commitment you'll need to carry it. Bigger is better but a .22 in the hand beats a .45 you left home. I'm a big guy but I carry a .32 ACP NAA Guardian for this reason.

Spend as much time and thought choosing a carry system as you do your gun. Get a good holster, not a cheap one. Later on, get another for alternate clothing styles and seasons, for better draw from a seated position, etc.

Get some books and/or plan on additional CCW training. Massad Ayoob's book "In the Gravest Extreme", while a bit dated, has valuable information and perspective on how to conduct yourself before, during and after a self defense shooting and gives good insight on what to expect afterward. It ain't pretty. My current reading list includes two CCW manuals. One is by Massad Ayoob and the other by Chris Bird. I recommend them both.

Lastly, I have more handgun recommendations for you, although you've already found something you like. The first is a Sig Sauer P230 or P232. They're high quality. 380 ACP pistols that I find easy to operate and very comfortable to shoot. The P232 is the current model while the P230 was produced until 1996. A used P230 is around $400. The second is the NAA Guardian I mentioned above. The. 32 is easy to shoot and has good ergonomics. There is also a .380 ACP that has more recoil. NAA also has their own cartridges -- .25NAA and. 32NAA. The .32NAA is a bottlenecked. 380 and is supposedly more effective than the .380. The NAA Guardians are similar in size to an LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT but all metal. It is heavier but I prefer the added heft. I say that having owned a P3AT. New Guardians list for mid-$400 to $500. Same for the .32ACP L.W. Seecamp, a very high quality mousegun.

Do what you can to get your kids firearms safety trained. NRA has Eddy Eagle. Show your kids a gun in a safe setting. It gives you an opportunity to teach the 4 rules, to tell younger ones "stop, don't touch, tell an adult" stuff and most importantly, satisfies their curiosity around guns.

Good luck,

Aaron

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Congrats on the course! I'm also in the wonderful waiting period (in KY it can be upwards of 90 days total, but I'm hoping for much less). Good work!

I believed in the Glocks until my guide rod failed. Now i'm not a believer. I would go for either the smith and wesson mp compact in 9mm or a kahr model. I havent felt a better trigger than the kahrs that hasnt been customized in a long time. except for a 1911 but thats a single action. the LC9 is just tooooo long of a trigger pull. Try out all the guns, shoot them if you can, and then buy online at Budsgunshop.com for much much less plus free shipping! happy shopping!

If you like your 915 except for its size...

The S&W 3913 operates the same in all respects, decocker/safety, magazine-safety. 9mm single-stack, and capacity is 8+1.

Good used 3913s appear at Bud's and on the S&W Forum.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Sponsored Links