Getting bad advice! Need input!

This is a discussion on Getting bad advice! Need input! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am enrolled for my CCW class (state of Kansas) this weekend. I am not going to run out and buy the first gun I ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Getting bad advice! Need input!

I am enrolled for my CCW class (state of Kansas) this weekend. I am not going to run out and buy the first gun I see because it is pretty.. I have more sense than that.
    However, I am in the market for a nice quality small frame concelament gun.
    Here are the facts. I am a female. I have large hands for a woman and small hands for a man - size wise.
    I currently own a S&W 915. This is a great gun, and has never given me any problems.
    However, it is too big for my body size to carry concealed.

I was looking at the S&W Bodyguard .380.
    I have also thought about the Glock 26, but have not laid my hands on one yet.
    The ruger .380 is an option.

I have been told by a person, who "knows better" than I do that the S&W and the Glock ( although he owns 4 Glocks) are both "junk" only, that was not the word he used.
    This man is VERY knowledgeable about guns. But, his blowhard ego and attitude get in the way of me being able to sort through the information.
    ( he actually told me (in reference to the Ruger .380) that I didn't need a gun with a safety. Excuse me?? I have a 11 yr old son and a 4 yr old niece and a 5 yr old nephew.)

The gun stores around here do not treat me with much respect because I am female.
    I have told 3 gun shops that I do not want a revolver, and that is the first thing they will pull out of the case! I told my friend, I don't want a revolver. that was the first thing he pulls out of his safes.
    I don't get it... What is so hard... I DO NOT WANT A REVOLVER!!!

And getting the gun stores to actually TALK to me and answer my questions is like pulling teeth..They will actually walk away and talk on the phone while "helping" me.. Or the will walk over to a male customer and help him. Leaving me standing there like a fool.

So, now I am stuck..
    I don"t know who to trust or who to believe. Or who to turn to.

I have read the forums here and gotten some ideas, but am asking you for help.

I like the feel of the S&W Bodyguard, but don't like the laser. I would rather have a automatic on instead of having to push a button. I like the Ruger, but it feels a little dinky to me.
    Have not handled the Glock, but, The reason I purchased the S&W 915 instead of a Glock years ago was the grip was a little large to be comfortable for a new shooter. I am more exoerienced now, and that may not be an issue. But I believe that the Glock 26 is a single stack and may thin the grip a little.

SO... Now what???

Any suggestions?? Either about the guns listed above, or even a model I have not mentioned??
    This seems like a good group of people in these forums, so I am coming to you.
    I am so tired of blowhards just mucking up every idea I have and not listening to me.

My knowledge about weaponry is not the greatest. I know what I like. I take my time to make sure i am buying the right gun. It took me 2 years to settle on a Savage 7mm-.08 deer rifle!
    I also own a Hi-Power, a Mossburg 500 A, and a Winchester 74.
    So, No, I am not a gun nut. Don't want to be. I just want a reliable product at the right price, that is going to suit my needs.

HELP!!!!

(sorry this post was so long. I just wanted to give a good bit of info! forgive me!)

THANK YOU!!!

The Glock 26 has a double stack mag. Just a suggestion, take a look at the Kahr CM9, you can find them for around $400 and they have nothing but great reviews. If you want a gun that is overloaded with safety features take a look at the Ruger LC9 they run between $350 and $400.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

I suggest a S&W M&P compact, the M&P's are not junk, IMHO, I carry a full size M&P .40 cal. I am looking at the compact. The grips are nice sized, and easy to change. In my full size i have put all sorts of rounds down range, close to 2500rnds, including my reloads and have never had a failure to fire or feed (FTF) or failure to eject (FTE). I am working on buying a compact version. My friend has one, and he has put 3000rnds down range, reloaded ammo and all with no FTF or FTE. Price isnt too bad either.

I do suggest trying it out first though. Another perk is that if you get the .40 cal, its easy to convert it to 357sig, or 9mm, by switching barrels and mags. Makes range shooting cheaper. That is my opinion, now best recommendation go to the range and try the firearms you are looking to buy out.

Hope it hleps, and remember we can recommend, but dont just go off recommendations, try them out and see whats comfortable for you, and you make the ultimate decision on whats good for you!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Glock 26
    Kahr PM9
    Beretta Nano

Good luck to you!

The guy who told you that S&W and Glock are junk is a maroon. I don't like either brands much but they certainly aren't junk!

The best advice for choosing your carry pistol is to find what fits your hands best and what will you be able and willing to conceal. A tiny pocket .380 that gets carried everyday is better than the big 45 you leave at home.

As for the poor customer service, you may need to be more vocal with the salespeople. Let them know what you do and don't have interest in and stick to it. If you say you don't want a revolver but that's the first thing they get out of the case for you, it may time to be a little rude back at them. Give them a are you retarded look and tell them that's not what I asked for, now please show me other options. If they continue to be jerks, try every pistol you can at the store, find one you like and then inform them that you have meade your selection but their poor customer service just lost a sale to an online store like BudsGunshop.

As for safeties, some prefer to have them on carry pistols many do not. It's about what you're comfortable with. I have some pistols with safeties and some without safeties. I can go either way, but my LCP without safeties gets the most time carried.

Good luck on your selection and upcoming class.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The Glock 26 is not a single stack, but the Gen4 might be better for you than previous weapons you handled. Try it out
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Catt101 you need a revolver. We men know it all!. Pulling your leg. My wife has an LC9 which she can shoot well. It has some nice features. I also recommend you check out the Kahr line of pistols. If you can get to a range that rents you can try out different pistols. Buy a gun magazine or two and look at the adds. See what stricks your interest. then go to the gun store and ask " I want to see the Super Mega Blaster II".
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

the OP should visit Cornered Cat
    which is an excellent website for women interested in guns
    it covers many issues and should be a good resource

VIP Member
    I would suggest that you head over to Cabela's over by the speedway and handle as many of the guns that you are interested in. I've always found their sales staff to be very helpful and I've seen them spend plenty of time with female customers, so I don't think you'll get ignored there. Their prices are sort of high, so you might not end up buying there; but they usually have a very good selection, so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Have a look at the Ruger LC9. I'd take a .380 over nothing, but 9mm ammunition is much cheaper and easier to get and I'm a big advocate for lots of practice with any firearm that you plan to carry, so for that reason alone, I personally prefer the 9mm over the .380. A G26 is an excellent SD weapon but it doesn't have the external safety you want. I would be the first one to say that I don't like any safety devices on my SD weapons, but I realize each person is different, so I won't say that you shouldn't have one. Once again, practice and familiarity with your weapon is far more important that a safety, or lack thereof. Several other options have also been suggested and I believe that any of them would be a good choice if they feel good to you.

Personally, I wouldn't take any more advice from your "friend". Glocks and S&W are far from 'junk', so I'd look elsewhere for advice (as you seem to be doing!). You didn't say how you want to carry this firearm. Are you looking for something you can easily carry in a holster or will you be looking to carry in a purse? Obviously, the purse is going to offer you some easier options but even in an IWB holster, I would imaging any small pistol should be doable. You just have to realize that it will probably be even more important for you to dress for your firearm. Most guys don't have to do much more than go up a pants size, but women tend to wear things a little more form fitting, so I think you'll have to take that into consideration because even the smallest firearm isn't going to conceal well if you are wearing tight clothing. I can't offer much advice there since I'm not female, but I would imagine that will be something you will be able to get some female advice on.

My wife is small, 5'3" and 98lbs soaking wet, she can conceal her LC9. I'd say Kahr CM9, PM9, Ruger LC9.
    bunker likes this.

S&W 9 Compact is my vote. 3 different grip sizes to choose from in the box to fit your hand.

For the record virtually every police agency in the country would not carry either Glock or S&W if they were junk. My preference after a lot of research and holding both is a S&W m&p because it felt better in my hand.

other have made suggestions but I will say the lcp and bodyguard are nice guns but for the beginner they are hard to control when fired and will jump out of your hands a bit. everyone is leaning towards a kahr/glock/Beretta but me I like the walther ppk/bersa thunder (James bond style) both are in 380 and are big enough to manage control. The walther ppk/s just has fine lines of elegances IMHO

soada101 likes this.

fwiw the PPK/S is probably the worst gun I've ever owned, didin't like JHP ammo and bit on every shot

Just go with a gen 3 glock 26 and don't look back. Seriously.

Best thing is to get as informed as you can about what the options are. The above recommendations for consideration are good ones. My wife shot the Nano and did just fine with it. I think for that single stack 9mm, it is a good weapon. She also shot very well with my Beretta 84FS, but it is a little on the big side for a 380 CC, but it does have 13+1 capacity. That 380 is a lot of fun to shoot.

Here's a list of 9mm compacts. The guy offers some commentary, but the important thing is it is a list of options.
    Best 9mm concealed carry pistols compact handguns CCW and women

As Txexpat said, if you have a Cabela's close by, that is a good place to go to see many options. Put as many as you can in your hands and you will start getting a sense for those that feel right in your hand. Cabela's has good prices on some, and not so good on others. Sometimes ranges will have rental guns so you can go try out a few. Check the ranges in your area to see if any have the guns you are considering for rent and go shoot a few.
    catt101 likes this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links