Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do - Page 3

Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do

This is a discussion on Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Speculator Using the laser I got enough feedback that I learned to hold still on target better. Though I'm not happy yet ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Using the laser I got enough feedback that I learned to hold still on target better. Though I'm not happy yet with my trigger control, I improved.
    I hear ya! Same here!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Nice video...It shows the same thing that I find myself doing when using the laser, or when not using it for that matter. I have the CT Laser grips on a Sig C3 w/magwell. I found I could group fairly well (considering my lack of experience) without the laser. When sighting in the laser on another 100 rounds or so, I could see that I am anticipating the recoil on the 45 and shooting low and slightly to the left...it's something I've got to work on. However, I find it easier to use the laser with my bad eyesight...was right eye dominant all my life, and now am forced to be left eye dominant because of some damage to my right eye's retina that can't be repaired. I'm also right handed, so being that and left eye dominant makes for more difficulty in using the iron sights, even if they are night sights. I can certainly see where the laser dot would be beneficial to me in certain situations, like a dark bedroom, a dark target, and no time to put on the glasses. It would at least increase the odds of my hitting SOMETHING on the person. One would not always have the opportunity to fully extend either arm, and if you're in a compromised position physically, the laser would help, IMO.

I still need to work on recoil anticipation though...on the other hand, I'm still hitting vital parts, at least on a paper target at the range. Real life? That, I'm sure, would be an entirely different matter, but I like my odds better with the red dot available just by gripping the weapon.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SERGU View Post
    Nice video...It shows the same thing that I find myself doing when using the laser, or when not using it for that matter. I have the CT Laser grips on a Sig C3 w/magwell. I found I could group fairly well (considering my lack of experience) without the laser. When sighting in the laser on another 100 rounds or so, I could see that I am anticipating the recoil on the 45 and shooting low and slightly to the left...it's something I've got to work on. However, I find it easier to use the laser with my bad eyesight...was right eye dominant all my life, and now am forced to be left eye dominant because of some damage to my right eye's retina that can't be repaired. I'm also right handed, so being that and left eye dominant makes for more difficulty in using the iron sights, even if they are night sights. I can certainly see where the laser dot would be beneficial to me in certain situations, like a dark bedroom, a dark target, and no time to put on the glasses. It would at least increase the odds of my hitting SOMETHING on the person. One would not always have the opportunity to fully extend either arm, and if you're in a compromised position physically, the laser would help, IMO.

I still need to work on recoil anticipation though...on the other hand, I'm still hitting vital parts, at least on a paper target at the range. Real life? That, I'm sure, would be an entirely different matter, but I like my odds better with the red dot available just by gripping the weapon.
    What a good post!

I really appreciate the honesty in your post. I find a lot of people are anticipating recoil and don't even realize it. You keep working with the laser on that recoil anticipation.

Sometimes it's hard to separate trigger jerk from recoil anticipation because they both result in 'dropped' shots. Keep the laser lined up and pull the trigger smoothly. Avoid seeing the laser just where you want it and trying to pull the trigger right then - probably gonna shoot low if you do that.

I can relate to the eye issues. I'm old, and blessed to have good eyesight (with help from my eye doctor and soft contact lens and I hope soon, Lasek) but I know what you're talking about. I think that's something the younger guys aren't aware of when they talk about one should be able to shoot just as well with iron sights as a laser.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links