Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do

Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do

This is a discussion on Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The target is at 15 yards - that's in the video but not obvious. The target dot is a 3" diameter ShootNC....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lessons learned from shooting with a laser sight (video) - I've got some work to do

Senior Moderator

The target is at 15 yards - that's in the video but not obvious. The target dot is a 3" diameter ShootNC.

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Lasers do two things....distract you from proper sighting alignment....and move around too much when you hold them! Lasers work really good in the movies. We've all got work to do.
    OldVet likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I have to disagree. I've used them some now. They help you align on the target when you can't get a good sight picture. They also are a big help to aging eyes that have a hard time with distance. They are invaluable when you can't use your sights.

Lasers do move around a lot - just like a scope does; but I don't see anybody claiming they distract you from proper sighting alignment.

Lasers don't work in the movies - they don't shoot anything. Lasers do work in reality. Hit ratios have sky rocketed when lasers were added to LEO handguns.

Todd Jarrett, Julie Goloski, Wes Doss, and Ken Hackathorn are all advocates of using lasers for SD and illustrate how they can be used.

And now, I am too.

cj
    Not sure Ram watched all the way through to the part about the analysis of the movement (yes, I get it, he dislikes lasers). Nothing says you HAVE to look at the laser when shooting in this fashion...Tangle could easily have been using sights...the movement of the laser just told volumes of information about his technique for this set of shots. It's very compelling to be able to show someone that they WERE, for example, on target right up to the trigger break.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    My findings.. Lasers help some people and confuse others. For me I get too distracted by the movement and eventually end up tring to place the dot on the target. Problem here is that I spend too much time on chasing the dot and not enough time on target acquisition. After spending a considerable amount of $ on a couple of lasers, I gave up. A [ _*_ ] style plain sight just works better for me but everyone is different.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I have a laser on my self defense gun for one reason: shooting from retention.

Senior Moderator
    It's always baffled me that some can't find that bright, big red or green dot, but they can instantly find a front sight in any lighting conditions.

Learning with Todd Jarrett - YouTube

Crimson Trace Laser Sights - The Art Of Survival - Chapter 4 - YouTube

Todd Jarrett Head Cam with a laser - YouTube

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    ...Tangle could easily have been using sights...
    Like this for example, no laser here:
    Shooting the G17 gen 4 + Ghost Rocket + TLR2t.m2ts - YouTube

...the movement of the laser just told volumes of information about his technique for this set of shots.
    It did! Also, by the way the laser was moving after the shot, it reminded me I probably had relaxed my grip a bit.

...It's very compelling to be able to show someone that they WERE, for example, on target right up to the trigger break.
    That's exactly what the laser and this video did for me. I wasn't happy about the hits and almost dismissed the video without watching it. Now I'm glad I did!

However all that pertains to training, which a laser can really help with, but it's also appropriate for SD too.

Nice vid. More than accurate enough for defensive purposes.
    candalos likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I think lasers have a great potential for SD/HD. I have CT lasergrips one my night stand gun for one main reason. If I'm awakened abruptly, I have the ability to shoot in the darkened bedroom, if necessary. If I don't have time to grab my glasses, I can still use the laser with great efficiency. I think anyone who wears glasses should have at least one laser for SD/HD.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Nice video! I especially liked the music jazzy music. Also good shooting. I am still not sold on the laser, as far as my own uses, but I can see the advantage that they offer. Kind of the same as an electronic dot sight, giving the eye only one job to do.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I put CT grips on my LCR on an impulse. I have to say, after several range trips where I have shot with and without the laser (I really like the fact you can easily turn it off with a small switch on the bottom of the grip) i do much better picking the LCR off the bunch and quickly shooting 2 shots one-had at about 5 - 7 yards using only the laser to site. When I push it back to 7 - 10 yards, use two hands and use the gun site and the laser, I am much for accurate than without the laser. I was very skeptical but now I am a believer. If you have to shoot quick, a laser is a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I have to disagree. I've used them some now. They help you align on the target when you can't get a good sight picture. They also are a big help to aging eyes that have a hard time with distance. They are invaluable when you can't use your sights.

Lasers do move around a lot - just like a scope does; but I don't see anybody claiming they distract you from proper sighting alignment.

Lasers don't work in the movies - they don't shoot anything. Lasers do work in reality. Hit ratios have sky rocketed when lasers were added to LEO handguns.

Todd Jarrett, Julie Goloski, Wes Doss, and Ken Hackathorn are all advocates of using lasers for SD and illustrate how they can be used.

And now, I am too.
    Actually I'm not opposed to lasers. I have a few myself on different platforms. Greens and reds. Thing is........they have to distract from conventional sight alignment since it's going to the third dimension. Focal point and the mind's eye. Indeed a useful tool. But to that extent the tool becomes relied upon while the basics may suffer. Remember the day your batteries quit on your TV remote? Lasers are a useful tool I admit. But there should be a back up plan for when they fail. If you're using a laser for target acquisition, then you should know several other things before you engage IMO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Actually I'm not opposed to lasers. I have a few myself on different platforms. Greens and reds. Thing is........they have to distract from conventional sight alignment since it's going to the third dimension. Focal point and the mind's eye. Indeed a useful tool. But to that extent the tool becomes relied upon while the basics may suffer. Remember the day your batteries quit on your TV remote? Lasers are a useful tool I admit. But there should be a back up plan for when they fail. If you're using a laser for target acquisition, then you should know several other things before you engage IMO.
    You bring up some interesting points, but, what's the backup plan when our eyes can't see the sight? Or the sight blends in with the threat's clothing, or you can't bring the gun up to eye level?

I can't deny that sighted fire can perish if one gets dependent on a laser. But at the same time, he may not ever have to use his iron sights again. I''m wondering if the laser/iron sight thing is similar to the scopes/iron sights on hunting rifles. It would be hard to find a hunting rifle with iron sights. But to use a scope as much as hunters do, do they ever need to use iron sights?

The battery running down has been around a long time. We have batteries in our tactical flashlights, the exact same ones used in many of the light/laser combos. We don't seem to be too worried about those batteries not being there when we need them.

Actually, one can change out his batteries on a routine basis and modify the routine if a lot of on time gets put on the batteries. A bunch of people depend on lasers, civilians that would never learn to shoot with sights, military personnel. CT sells a bunch of their laser grips to the military, LE, special units.

I think we're much akin here though Ram Rod, I like shooting with iron sights. But I know the day is coming where my ability to shoot accurately with iron sights will diminish. I'm hoping by the time it does, I'm fully up to speed on laser techniques. Already I have problems seeing my sights against that ShootNC black dots. I'm also beginning to see I just can't get the sight picture with irons at 15 yds I once could. Right now, I seriously doubt I could shoot that tight of a group that fast with my iron sights as I did my laser.

You know real reason the splits kept speeding up? It was just so easy. I started pulling the shots a bit with my trigger, but I think at that range I was probably on the edge of recoil recovery and sight stabilization for that speed.

I like that green laser. I have only thus far played with them, and those were weaker red ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links