Need some Springfield 1911 help.

This is a discussion on Need some Springfield 1911 help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, pros. Need help. I'm going to sell this for a friend. It's an older Springfield A1. I think it was before Springfield went crackers ...

Thread: Need some Springfield 1911 help.

Distinguished Member

Need some Springfield 1911 help.

Ok, pros. Need help. I'm going to sell this for a friend. It's an older Springfield A1. I think it was before Springfield went crackers on all their 45 variations. It's called a Model A1 "Government model" with a 5 inch barrel. So what do I technically call this? "Milspec"? "Loaded"? "Half-Loaded"?
    Thanks.

1911 A1.jpgSpringfield, other view.jpg
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Ok, pros. Need help. I'm going to sell this for a friend. It's an older Springfield A1. I think it was before Springfield went crackers on all their 45 variations. It's called a Model A1 "Government model" with a 5 inch barrel. So what do I technically call this? "Milspec"? "Loaded"? "Half-Loaded"?
    Thanks.

1911 A1.jpgSpringfield, other view.jpg
    That appears to be either a mutted up pre-2001 Springfield Loaded or a mutted up MILSPEC.

Call or Email Springfield with the serial number and they should be able to fill you in.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Judging from the sights I don't think it is a born Mil-Spec. All of the mil-Spec verieties I have seen have basic sights. On the other hand it could have been altered.

Follow JD's advice. Springfield will gladly help you. Who knows? You may have a rairety. However if your luck is like mine, that will not be the case..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Judging from the sights I don't think it is a born Mil-Spec. All of the mil-Spec verieties I have seen have basic sights. On the other hand it could have been altered.

Follow JD's advice. Springfield will gladly help you. Who knows? You may have a rairety. However if your luck is like mine, that will not be the case..

That's what I said "mutt"

It looks like an older loaded, but the trigger and the main spring housing are wrong...

It could have been a MILSPEC that had the sights added and the front cocking serrations added later down the road.

Springfield CS: 800-680-6866

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's what I said "mutt"

It looks like an older loaded, but the trigger and the main spring housing are wrong...

It could have been a MILSPEC that had the sights added and the front cocking serrations added later down the road.

Springfield CS: 800-680-6866

Awesome and thanks! Should have mentioned that it was customized by Gunsite. However, I thought only the guts were worked on and not frame.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

JD
    Administrator
    Awesome and thanks! Should have mentioned that it was customized by Gunsite. However, I thought only the guts were worked on and not frame.
    Yeah, now I see the bird near the muzzle end. That will demand a little extra $$$, try and get a list of what work was done.

JD
    Administrator
    FWIW a new Colt Gunsite 1911 consists of the following:

Colt Gunsite Pistol – $1600
    On sale now – $1225

Series 70 firing system, Smith & Alexander metal grip safety with palm swell, serrated flat mainspring housing, dehorned all around, thin rosewood grips, Gold Cup serrations on front strap, Novak front and rear sights, short aluminum trigger with 4-4 1/2 lb pull, Wilson extended slide lock, two 8-round Wilson magazines w/metal base plate, McCormick hammer and sear. Available Models: 01070CGP & 01080CGP in both blued and stainless steel.

Distinguished Member
    JD, take the rest of the day off! You're welcome.

JD
    Administrator

JD
    Administrator
    OK, it's a new day. If the serial number starts with a "GSP" it was a Gunsite gun, not a Springfield with the Gunsite package done later, there's one on Gunbroker with the original grips and bag for $1750 and it's been relisted a bunch of times IE it hasn't sold at that price and the guy is asking too much.

Judging from the placement of the cannons, it's older than mine which was made in '98 IIRC. If it's a "GSP" gun, you might also want to talk to Gunsite and see what kind of info they can provide on the gun.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    OK, it's a new day. If the serial number starts with a "GSP" it was a Gunsite gun, not a Springfield with the Gunsite package done later, there's one on Gunbroker with the original grips and bag for $1750 and it's been relisted a bunch of times IE it hasn't sold at that price and the guy is asking too much.

Judging from the placement of the cannons, it's older than mine which was made in '98 IIRC. If it's a "GSP" gun, you might also want to talk to Gunsite and see what kind of info they can provide on the gun.
    JD, apologies for taking so long. Will follow this up now. Mucho thanks for your work!!

Distinguished Member
    Ok, here's the latest: Serial # starts, "N 323..." Here is a direct quote from the owner:
    "I know that Gunsite added the serrations on the front of the slide along with the logo, installed novak sights, I think Yost beveled the magazine port/entrance on the underside for solid magazine swaps, matched and tunned the magazines to the gun, gave it a trigger job, aftermarket hammer, and I'm guessing that they polished the barrel throat and feed ramp (seems like that's standard tuning for a combat pistol)."
    Does that help? Going to be out of commission for next two days so will have to wait till next week to make calls. Here's a couple more pics:

non flash.jpgLogo.jpgSafariland holster.jpg1911 mags.jpg

OD*
    aznav, maybe contact Ted Yost at Heirloom Precision, he might be able to tell you more about a pistol he built.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Look like it was born a Mil-spec...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Links