Citadel 1911 Thoughts

Citadel 1911 Thoughts

This is a discussion on Citadel 1911 Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trolling my local Academy Sports and low and behold, I spy a smallish 1911. Sure nuff, they have the Citadel 3" 1911. I pretty much ...

Thread: Citadel 1911 Thoughts

Citadel 1911 Thoughts

Trolling my local Academy Sports and low and behold, I spy a smallish 1911. Sure nuff, they have the Citadel 3" 1911. I pretty much swore off low cost 1911's when my American Classic Commander became a jam factory. Anyone have experience with the Citadel? Is it any better? My wife is starting to carry my M&P9C so I was thinking about picking this one up for myself. Thoughts?

VIP Member
    I have a couple of friends that have Citadels and they are very happy with them. According to them they function 100% and tht's what I've observed when we've been shooting.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

smolck,
    I've had a citadel Concealed Carry model (Officer's size) w/ 3.5" barrel for about one year. I've been very pleased w/ it. It's been my main carry gun during that time. I chose the Citadel instead of the comparable RIA model since the Citadel had a few upgrades I liked (Novak type sights, lowered ejection port, extended thumb safety/slide release, target trigger/hammer and beavertail grip safety). The only thing I don't like about it is the Parkerized finish (described by Citadel as "matte black", but it's really Parkerized) and the fact that the sights do not have any dots. Lots of folks complain about the factory mags (it comes w/ 2), but mine have worked well. It's had approx 300 rounds through and has been fully reliable. From my experience, I'd recommend it. OTOH, I would also recommend my Commander American Commander, as well as I've been just as pleased w/ it!

VIP Member
    It seems with these low-priced 1911's, you lays your money down and you takes your chances.

Citadel, American Classic, ATI, RIA... Although RIA does seem to exceedingly have the best reputation, but you'll find owners that love and hate each.

My ATI dang near made a gunsmith out of me, but I went into it eyes-wide-open, expecting that it may become a hobby and that I'd learn a lot about 1911's in the process. It all came true, and I now have a trust-worthy gun, but I assure you that it didn't come out of the box that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

My ATI dang near made a gunsmith out of me, but I went into it eyes-wide-open, expecting that it may become a hobby and that I'd learn a lot about 1911's in the process. It all came true, and I now have a trust-worthy gun, but I assure you that it didn't come out of the box that way.
    Yes, this was my experience with my last 1911. I really don't want to get into that again. I just love the 1911 platform so much, yes it is heavy, but the thin profile makes carry easy. Oh bugger me.....

MY buddy bought one when we were at cabelas, and he pick up a nice CC 1911.. At 5yds it a dead nuts 1911 even though it has no sights.. There are sights ,but there all black.

IMHO its a great gun..I would stake my life on that...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Sponsored Links