Glock Gen 4 Stippling?

This is a discussion on Glock Gen 4 Stippling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If so why? I find that the frame texture is pretty hardcore....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DRM

Thread: Glock Gen 4 Stippling?

VIP Member

Glock Gen 4 Stippling?

If so why? I find that the frame texture is pretty hardcore.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor

Cool

It really depends on how tough your hands are. I know a roofer who says I can't get the checkering on his M1911 sharp enough.

I think Glock made the Gen 4 stippling mild enough to satisfy most people. Some of the women don't like it. Some guys want it more aggressive. This Gen 4 was sent to me to texture (not stipple) because the guys hands sweat a lot. It's his work gun and it will be carried all over the world in different climates.

G17 Hi-Wrap 2.JPG

The whole purpose of a custom pistol is to make it fit and feel good in the users hand. That and to help him or her shoot it better.
    Mattmann likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

This thread should be closed because Mr drm just ended that conversation! Hahaha

Not a modification I would make. I use Talon grips and find them sufficient without altering the original grip. JMO...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I feel the Glock grip is good enough (in either Gen 3 or 4 style), some obviously don't. But to each his own, and if stippling is what one thinks he needs, then do so. It has to satisfy the individual or else one won't be happy with it. And who wants a fiream they're not satisfied with?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree. It's an individual thing. For me, I had no issues with Gen 1 or 2. Likewise the 3 and 4 add nothing to the gun for me, although I'm good with them too. I just conform to what I have and learn to use it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Although I do have a Gen 3 G17 that is stippled,I only use it in IDPA matches,it helps down south here where it can be quite humid sometimes,and the frame tends to get slippery,especially if your hands are callussed, but I found out while deployed that a peice of bicycle tube will serve very well and adds nothing to the grip size.

VIP Member
    It's funny to hear the feedback as we live all over the US. Though I live in a wet climate I guess it's a bit different then a humid climate. I honestly could see the texturing on a Gen 4 like DRM posted, over stippling. I don't work with my hands as much anymore and so the roofer story makes sense. To me then Gen 4 grips are rough! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    If so why? I find that the frame texture is pretty hardcore.
    Shoot the Springer Professional FBI model long enough with their 20lpi checkering, and the Gen4s feel slick.

As has been mentioned, it all comes down to what you are accustomed to.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I read that some stippling when done will alter the mag from dropping and warp the frame. I like the hogue slip on grip. it has a palm swell and makes the handle easier to grip

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I read that some stippling when done will alter the mag from dropping and warp the frame. I like the hogue slip on grip. it has a palm swell and makes the handle easier to grip.
    That is correct. The polymer is a lot like metal in that if you get it too hot and cool it too quick it can become brittle and crack. Likewise you get it hot and cool it slow it will become soft.

The problem you described is a big issue with some grip reductions I’ve seen. I don't do reductions, but I do flatten the back strap as shown below. This changes the grip angle and brings the muzzle back down ” or so and makes for a more natural point. I like it much better than stock.

I use a heat sink and control the temp so the end result is a hard, strong (no flex) back strap. The 1911 guys like this mod. It's subtle but makes a world of difference.

GLOCK FLAT BACKSTRAP MOD 2.jpg

GLOCK FLAT BACKSTRAP MOD 1.jpg
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    That is correct. The polymer is a lot like metal in that if you get it too hot and cool it too quick it can become brittle and crack. Likewise you get it hot and cool it slow it will become soft.

The problem you described is a big issue with some grip reductions I’ve seen. I don't do reductions, but I do flatten the back strap as shown below. This changes the grip angle and brings the muzzle back down ” or so and makes for a more natural point. I like it much better than stock.

I use a heat sink and control the temp so the end result is a hard, strong (no flex) back strap. The 1911 guys like this mod. It's subtle but makes a world of difference.

GLOCK FLAT BACKSTRAP MOD 2.jpg

GLOCK FLAT BACKSTRAP MOD 1.jpg
    Very nice work! Looks nice and even. I've seen quite a few that were lopsided.
    Question Everything!

Links