Nice Guy Seeks CHP Love For Handgun Purchase

This is a discussion on Nice Guy Seeks CHP Love For Handgun Purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I made another handgun purchase, today (Glock G36) and I had to fill out the standard background check form. I asked if the guys ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Nice Guy Seeks CHP Love For Handgun Purchase

Nice Guy Seeks CHP Love For Handgun Purchase

So, I made another handgun purchase, today (Glock G36) and I had to fill out the standard background check form.

I asked if the guys waiting on me knew if there was any likely change on the background check when a buyer already has their Concealed Handgun Permit (that is the designation in Colorado). I was told that our current democratic governor would not sign that kind of legislation but that there are several states that do not require additional background checks after a buyer gets their CHP.

I would like to hear form those of you fortunate enough to live in such a blessed state. Is that a recent development for you or has it been that way for you for quite a while?

2. Remove Ads

I live in Texas, if you have a CHL that's all you need to buy a gun.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I live in Virginia, and it's now taking DAYS or WEEKS to get an instant background check!!

Funny thing, when the cops pull you over, it only takes about two minutes for a NCIS check...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Here in Florida its a 3 day wait without cwl and with, it takes your money,signature. And then walk on out. Its been around. Love it. (Not trying to rub it in haha)

Hello from ARIZONA. Even though a person who can legally own a firearm in Arizona, can legally carry it concealed without a CCW permit. A good reason to obtain a CCW is to be able to purchase a firearm, without the background check, by presenting a valid CCW permit to the FFL.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

VIP Member
    Here in North Carolina you must have a pistol purchase to purchase a handgun, once you have your CCW you no longer need the permit or a NICS check.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    So, I made another handgun purchase, today (Glock G36) and I had to fill out the standard background check form.

I asked if the guys waiting on me knew if there was any likely change on the background check when a buyer already has their Concealed Handgun Permit (that is the designation in Colorado). I was told that our current democratic governor would not sign that kind of legislation but that there are several states that do not require additional background checks after a buyer gets their CHP.

I would like to hear form those of you fortunate enough to live in such a blessed state. Is that a recent development for you or has it been that way for you for quite a while?
    Your Governor, (our Governor), as Mayor of Denver, was one of Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns". I wouldn't expect him to be any real friend of gun owners.

Concealed Handgun Permit (that is the designation in Colorado).
    Interesting. Mine in Mesa County is called a Concealed Weapons Permit although it only applies to handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post

^^^^ This ^^^^

My first purchase was pre-CHL during my "waiting period". The background check was done on-site in front of me, completed in 5 mins. The dealer dialed an automated number, entered various items of data via touchtone keypad when prompted, birthdate, gender, SSN, etc. & receives "declined" / "approved" answer in a minute or two on that call.

My post CHL purchases, I simply showed the dealer my CHL license & he recorded the CHL # on the paperwork. No waiting period in either scenario as it should be. I takes longer to check out a full cart of groceries than it did the firearm purchases with a CHL.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    Same in Montana, same in Iowa. Be plumb honest, that's the reason I first got a permit lo those many years ago. Tired of the NICS "delays". The logic is sound: if you can pass a carry permit check, you can certainly pass a less comprehensive check.

Move to Maine. CCW permit, no CCW permit, it doesn't matter, all it takes is a 4473 and a NICS check at the dealer and you and you're gun on your way (unless you buy from a private party then no check needed). Oh yeah, open carry is legal, too.
    JaySkiBum likes this.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Here in Arizona there is no waiting period for handgun purchases. A background check takes less than 3 minutes and you're out the door.

If you have a carry permit, then all's ya got to do is fill out the 4473, pay the man, and go shooting
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yep... even though you don't need a CCW to carry here in AZ, one of the advantages is that your purchase goes through the express lane - no additional calls needed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Arap County here and mine says, "Concealed Handgun Permit"
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Georgia here. Fill out a 4473 and your on your way.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Arkansas....instant purchase with copy of CHCL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links