Defensive Carry banner

Nice Guy Seeks CHP Love For Handgun Purchase

3K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  lazytl 
#1 ·
So, I made another handgun purchase, today (Glock G36) and I had to fill out the standard background check form.

I asked if the guys waiting on me knew if there was any likely change on the background check when a buyer already has their Concealed Handgun Permit (that is the designation in Colorado). I was told that our current democratic governor would not sign that kind of legislation but that there are several states that do not require additional background checks after a buyer gets their CHP.

I would like to hear form those of you fortunate enough to live in such a blessed state. Is that a recent development for you or has it been that way for you for quite a while?

#8 ·
^^^^ This ^^^^

My first purchase was pre-CHL during my "waiting period". The background check was done on-site in front of me, completed in 5 mins. The dealer dialed an automated number, entered various items of data via touchtone keypad when prompted, birthdate, gender, SSN, etc. & receives "declined" / "approved" answer in a minute or two on that call.

My post CHL purchases, I simply showed the dealer my CHL license & he recorded the CHL # on the paperwork. No waiting period in either scenario as it should be. I takes longer to check out a full cart of groceries than it did the firearm purchases with a CHL.

#5 ·
Hello from ARIZONA. Even though a person who can legally own a firearm in Arizona, can legally carry it concealed without a CCW permit. :danceban: A good reason to obtain a CCW is to be able to purchase a firearm, without the background check, by presenting a valid CCW permit to the FFL.

#7 ·
Your Governor, (our Governor), as Mayor of Denver, was one of Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns". I wouldn't expect him to be any real friend of gun owners.

Concealed Handgun Permit (that is the designation in Colorado).
Interesting. Mine in Mesa County is called a Concealed Weapons Permit although it only applies to handguns.

#10 ·
Move to Maine. CCW permit, no CCW permit, it doesn't matter, all it takes is a 4473 and a NICS check at the dealer and you and you're gun on your way (unless you buy from a private party then no check needed). Oh yeah, open carry is legal, too.

Reactions: JaySkiBum
#11 ·
Here in Arizona there is no waiting period for handgun purchases. A background check takes less than 3 minutes and you're out the door.

If you have a carry permit, then all's ya got to do is fill out the 4473, pay the man, and go shooting :yup:

#15 ·
Arkansas....instant purchase with copy of CHCL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.